    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux,
    and it does all the things that they want."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 8, 2006

  2. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    >
    > Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    > Linux,
    > and it does all the things that they want."

    but, bad news for ibms customers.

    IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.
    The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
    don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.

    this is where microsoft excels.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    >>
    >> Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >> Linux,
    >> and it does all the things that they want."
    >>

    > but, bad news for ibms customers.
    >
    > IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at
    > os/2. The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good
    > so why
    > don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.

    Indeed. I've used AIX before and the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

    > this is where microsoft excels.

    And a lot of the open source community - IMO KDE is much easier on the eye
    than Windows, and a lot more configurable and functional too.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 9, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    >>
    >>Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
    >>

    >>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >>Linux,
    >>and it does all the things that they want."
    >>

    > but, bad news for ibms customers.
    >
    > IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.

    I thought OS/2 was really good for its time, was streets ahead of
    Windows, BTW have you ever used OS/2?
    > The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
    > don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.
    >
    > this is where microsoft excels.

    Yes th MS's GUIs look great, a shame about the code behind them.

    Maximum Damage, Mar 9, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    >>
    >> Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >> Linux,
    >> and it does all the things that they want."
    >>

    > but, bad news for ibms customers.

    Why? IBM is an end user in this instance; and even then, possibly only
    in Germany.

    Can't see how this will affect their customers directly.

    -=rjh=-, Mar 9, 2006
  6. On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:28:46 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Indeed. I've used AIX before and the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

    What GUI? It's Unix, and you can put whatever gui on it that you want - or
    none at all.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur
    when coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:28:46 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed. I've used AIX before and the GUI leaves a lot to be desired.

    > What GUI? It's Unix, and you can put whatever gui on it that you want - or
    > none at all.

    In this case it was the standard CDE.

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:31:24 +1300, Maximum Damage <>
    wrote:

    >news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    >>>
    >>>Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
    >>>

    >>>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >>>Linux,
    >>>and it does all the things that they want."
    >>>

    >> but, bad news for ibms customers.
    >>
    >> IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.

    >I thought OS/2 was really good for its time, was streets ahead of
    >Windows, BTW have you ever used OS/2?
    >> The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
    >> don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.
    >>
    >> this is where microsoft excels.

    >Yes th MS's GUIs look great, a shame about the code behind them.

    One gets the impression MS puts more into the aesthetics of the GUI
    than in the underlying code, but as they say, from Microsoft's view,
    first impressions . . .
    GraB, Mar 9, 2006
  9. On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:08:41 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> What GUI? It's Unix, and you can put whatever gui on it that you want -
    >> or none at all.

    > In this case it was the standard CDE.

    OK. If the default CDE colour scheme is anything to go by, CDE was not an
    attractive GUI at all.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 9, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    >>
    >>Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
    >>

    >>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >>Linux,
    >>and it does all the things that they want."
    >>

    > but, bad news for ibms customers.
    >
    > IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.
    > The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
    > don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.
    >
    > this is where microsoft excels.

    lol, You cant have used os2 much then, for its age it beat win3 and
    arguably 95 dead. When you also consider how unstable win95 is, os2 is
    way ahead, so without doubt, dead.

    Same applies to moving to Linux, as they say eat your own dog food.

    regards

    thing
    , Mar 9, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:08:41 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >>> What GUI? It's Unix, and you can put whatever gui on it that you want -
    >>> or none at all.

    >> In this case it was the standard CDE.

    > OK. If the default CDE colour scheme is anything to go by, CDE was not an
    > attractive GUI at all.

    The widget set wasn't pleasant either. We used it for a server anyway to the
    GUI wasn't important.

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    >
    > Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!

    Antone Gonsalves at InformationWeek is reporting that IBM is denying
    the story:

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=181502065&subSection=Columns

    IBM employees using Linux desktops are switching to Red Hat Inc.'s
    version of the open-source operating system, but the company denied
    reports that it's planning to dump Microsoft Corp.'s Windows, a
    company spokeswoman said Wednesday.

    The number of Linux users within the Armonk, N.Y., company is about 5
    percent of IBM's 329,000 employees, spokeswoman Nancy Kaplan said.
    The workers include software developers and designers, people
    configuring software and hardware bundles for customers and others who
    need to use Linux as part of their jobs.

    "The Linux plan is for people who have a need for Linux, as part of
    their jobs, will use it," Kaplan said. "We have not made Linux
    available to the general employee population and there are no plans to
    do that."

    Andreas Pleschek, head of open source and Linux technical sales across
    Northeast Europe, was erroneously quoted this week as saying IBM had
    cancelled its Windows contract with Microsoft as of October, and did
    not intend to upgrade to Vista, the next major upgrade of the operating
    system, Kaplan said.
    As to whether IBM would upgrade to Vista, the company was in the
    process of evaluating the OS and had not made a decision, Kaplan said.

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 9, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    y says...
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
    > >>
    > >>Excellent news for both IBM and Linux!
    > >>

    > >>Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    > >>Linux,
    > >>and it does all the things that they want."
    > >>

    > > but, bad news for ibms customers.
    > >
    > > IBM are pretty crap at making good easy to use software - just look at os/2.
    > > The background architecture of ibm software is usually pretty good so why
    > > don't they spend time making a good front-end UI? Beggars belief.
    > >
    > > this is where microsoft excels.
    > >

    > lol, You cant have used os2 much then, for its age it beat win3 and
    > arguably 95 dead. When you also consider how unstable win95 is,

    Who cares? Win95 is obsolete.

    > os2 is
    > way ahead, so without doubt, dead.
    >
    > Same applies to moving to Linux, as they say eat your own dog food.

    The same nonsense can't be said of XP, which is miles ahead.
    RJ, Mar 10, 2006
  14. On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:31:03 +1300, RJ wrote:

    > Win95 is obsolete.

    Micro$oft *Windows* is obsolete.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 11, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    David Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:31:03 +1300, RJ wrote:
    >
    >> Win95 is obsolete.

    > Micro$oft *Windows* is obsolete.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    FFS. I'm not even gonna comment there, except to add that ReactOS
    (http://www.reactos.org) is a very interesting OSS project (at least to
    me.) I didn't realise that copyright/patent law allowed such an exact
    recreation of another company's product. Then again I am rather naïve
    when it comes to legal matters.
    David, Mar 11, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:31:03 +1300, RJ wrote:
    >
    >> Win95 is obsolete.

    > Micro$oft *Windows* is obsolete.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Actively developed? Yes.
    Use by the vast majority? Yes.
    Promoted actively by nearly all hardware vendors? Yes.

    Obsolete? No.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Mar 11, 2006
  17. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:19:36 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:31:03 +1300, RJ wrote:
    >
    >> Win95 is obsolete.

    >Micro$oft *Windows* is obsolete.

    Geez, Bling-Bling, you really are getting nutty.
    Fred Dagg, Mar 11, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:31:03 +1300, RJ wrote:
    >
    > > Win95 is obsolete.

    > Micro$oft *Windows* is obsolete.

    Bullcrap. It is very much alive, well, and has a bright future.
    RJ, Mar 11, 2006
  19. On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:52:16 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> Micro$oft *Windows* is obsolete.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    > Actively developed? Yes.
    > Use by the vast majority? Yes.
    > Promoted actively by nearly all hardware vendors? Yes.
    >
    > Obsolete? No.

    "Obsolete" does not merely mean disused. It means dumped. Replaced.
    Superseeded. Deprecated. Rendered unnecessary or unimportant or irrelevant.

    M$IE was obsoleted by Mozilla Firefox. Doesn't stop people with a penchant
    for software antiques from still using M$IE if they want to take that risk.

    Obsolete | Ob"so*lete |
    a. L. obsoletus, p. p. of obsolescere.
    See Obsolescent.

    1. No longer in use; gone into disuse; disused; neglected;
    as, an obsolete word; an obsolete statute; -- applied
    chiefly to words, writings, or observances.
    1913 Webster

    2. (Biol.) Not very distinct; obscure; rudimental;
    imperfectly developed; abortive.
    1913 Webster

    Syn: Ancient; antiquated; old-fashioned; antique; old;
    disused; neglected. See Ancient.
    1913 Webster
    Obsolete | Ob"so*lete |
    v. i.
    To become obsolete; to go out of use. R. --Fitzed. Hall.
    1913 Webster

    In my home M$'s software certainly *IS* obsolete.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 11, 2006
  20. On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:21:29 +1300, RJ wrote:

    >> Micro$oft *Windows* is obsolete.

    > Bullcrap. It is very much alive, well, and has a bright future.

    Where? Certainly not in my home. Many people I know have upgraded from
    Windows to Linux. For them Windows is obsolete.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 11, 2006