IBM dismiss Openoffice as childs play

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Wally, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Wally, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Wally

    dOTdASH Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    news:9J_1b.13522$...
    > Wally wrote:
    >
    > > interesting read at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32461.html

    > I'm surprised they take that stance.
    >
    > I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it lacks are

    > replacement for Access (which I've never used anyway) and a scripting
    > language. I find it as easy to use (if not easier) and love the fact you
    > can save as pdf. I recommend it to anyone willing to change.
    >
    > Allistar.

    I like the save to .pdf thing too but it sucks if you want others to
    collaborate on the document.

    dOTdASH, Aug 24, 2003

  3. Wally

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Allistar of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:31 :
    > Wally wrote:
    >> interesting read at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32461.html

    > I'm surprised they take that stance.
    >
    > I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it lacks are
    > a replacement for Access (which I've never used anyway) and a scripting
    > language. I find it as easy to use (if not easier) and love the fact you
    > can save as pdf. I recommend it to anyone willing to change.

    OpenOffice 1.0 has a macro language, sorta like basic. I got it to work on
    a couple of things, but struggled with learning the syntax. Version 1.1 is
    supposed to have a macro recorder, which should greatly assist in learning
    how to use the language.

    I also use it at home and at work, and find writing to pdf really useful.

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 24, 2003
  4. In article <9J_1b.13522$>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >Wally wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it lacks are a
    >replacement for Access

    *SNIP*

    And given that there're two superb OSS relational databases already, why
    reinvent the wheel? OO can't hope to improve on what is offered by
    Postgres or MySQL, so they are rightly not even going to go into that
    space.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Aug 24, 2003
  5. "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Wally wrote:
    >
    > > interesting read at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32461.html

    > I'm surprised they take that stance.
    >
    > I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it lacks are

    > replacement for Access (which I've never used anyway) and a scripting
    > language. I find it as easy to use (if not easier) and love the fact you
    > can save as pdf. I recommend it to anyone willing to change.
    >
    > Allistar.

    The register headline is a troll

    IBMs rep just points out that openoffice isn't a replacement for Microsoft
    office, The groupware component is missing from openoffice, and the database
    and all the ole integration openoffice makes good documents spreadsheets and
    presentations though. Its independent of the gnome kde rivalry, and I expect
    it to grow really fast now that its core functionality is accepted.
    The groupware project is well underway, and well sponsored.
    openoffice was initiated by Sun, which gives them an advantage in its
    enterprise desktop implementation and its natural that IBM would offer some
    criticism, they are competitors after all.

    Howard Johnson, Aug 24, 2003
  6. Wally

    Allistar Guest

    dOTdASH wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Wally wrote:
    >>
    >> > interesting read at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32461.html

    >> I'm surprised they take that stance.
    >>
    >> I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it lacks
    >> are

    >> replacement for Access (which I've never used anyway) and a scripting
    >> language. I find it as easy to use (if not easier) and love the fact you
    >> can save as pdf. I recommend it to anyone willing to change.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > I like the save to .pdf thing too but it sucks if you want others to
    > collaborate on the document.

    It only sucks if they don't have OpenOffice as well. Time to do some
    convincing :)

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 24, 2003
  7. In message <9J_1b.13522$>, Allistar
    <> wrote:

    >I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it lacks are a
    >replacement for Access (which I've never used anyway) and a scripting
    >language. I find it as easy to use (if not easier) and love the fact you
    >can save as pdf. I recommend it to anyone willing to change.

    Does the WP have an outline mode yet? That's the main thing I've found
    lacking in OSS Office software to date.

    Stumpy.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh Timaru, New Zealand
    <http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/>

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Aug 24, 2003
  8. Wally

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Richard Hector of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:40 :

    > The Access front end app builder thingy (I'm not a regular user ...) is
    > quite nice though. Are there similar front ends for PostgreSQL or MySQL
    > (or preferably able to work with both)?

    Access is good for occasional use by people who aren't training in
    databases, and don't need high end database perf.

    There is the knoda project which aims to provide a gui front end to mySQL
    http://knoda.sourceforge.net/

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 24, 2003
  9. Wally

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "dOTdASH" <> wrote in

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Wally wrote:
    >>
    >> > interesting read at
    >> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32461.html

    >> I'm surprised they take that stance.
    >>
    >> I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it
    >> lacks are

    >> replacement for Access (which I've never used anyway) and a scripting
    >> language. I find it as easy to use (if not easier) and love the fact
    >> you can save as pdf. I recommend it to anyone willing to change.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > I like the save to .pdf thing too but it sucks if you want others to
    > collaborate on the document.

    Why ? - save to MS and send them a copy - or does the "Record changes"
    freature not work if you do that ? My accountant turned their nose up when
    I said I was going to send them an OO document - I felt like saying - "So
    you want me to spend $1,300 on and office suite so you don't have to bother
    learning the fact that you have filters you cann select from when opening a
    document" or "You want me to spend $1,300 to save you downloading something
    for free" etc etc

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 24, 2003
  10. On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:51:24 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:

    > No
    > You should explain that they use Access as a client to MS sql server.

    Not the ones I'm thinking of. If they did that it'd be a lot less
    worrying.

    Didn't you ever wonder why certain hospitals were sending out wildly
    inaccurate bills when the nat govt had them doing that shit?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 25, 2003
  11. Wally

    Allistar Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> dOTdASH wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>>I like the save to .pdf thing too but it sucks if you want others to
    >>>collaborate on the document.

    >> It only sucks if they don't have OpenOffice as well. Time to do some
    >> convincing :)

    > Yes, well that is obviously a (if not _the_) major sticking point for
    > the adoption of OO.

    What's that? The fact that only OO can open it's own formats? It can also
    open .doc, .xls, .ppt can save to all of those formats as well as .pdf.
    Sounds like a reason to switch to OO, not a reason not to.

    > Gib

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 25, 2003
  12. Wally

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bia3i2$852$>, says...
    > In article <9J_1b.13522$>, Allistar <> wrote:
    > >Wally wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    > >I solely use OpenOffice at home and at work. The two features it lacks are a
    > >replacement for Access

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > And given that there're two superb OSS relational databases already, why
    > reinvent the wheel? OO can't hope to improve on what is offered by
    > Postgres or MySQL, so they are rightly not even going to go into that
    > space.

    Postgresql doesn't run on Windows desktops.

    Mainlander, Aug 25, 2003
  13. On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:15:30 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > What's that? The fact that only OO can open it's own formats? It can also
    > open .doc, .xls, .ppt can save to all of those formats as well as .pdf.
    > Sounds like a reason to switch to OO, not a reason not to.

    MS go out of their way to change save formats to make rendering in other
    pieces of software difficult.

    Mind you they do that to force previous version owners to "upgrade" too.

    As far as IBMs comments go, remember they own Lotus and Notes is
    still being sold as a collaboration/mail system.

    Why anyone would want to use Bloated Goats is anexercise left to the reader.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    1: opt-in with archived, provable confirmation.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 25, 2003
  14. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:35:20 +1200, Mainlander wrote:

    > Postgresql doesn't run on Windows desktops.

    There's an article about installing the peerdirect ponstgresql beta
    version on windows at the PostGreSQL website.

    http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/InstallingOnWindows

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 25, 2003
  15. Wally

    Allistar Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:15:30 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >

    >> What's that? The fact that only OO can open it's own formats? It can also
    >> open .doc, .xls, .ppt can save to all of those formats as well as .pdf.
    >> Sounds like a reason to switch to OO, not a reason not to.
    >>

    > MS go out of their way to change save formats to make rendering in other
    > pieces of software difficult.
    >
    > Mind you they do that to force previous version owners to "upgrade" too.

    So the solution to this is to get everyone to use a free and open
    alternative like OO. Why pay the MS tax when it is uneccessary?

    > As far as IBMs comments go, remember they own Lotus and Notes is
    > still being sold as a collaboration/mail system.
    >
    > Why anyone would want to use Bloated Goats is anexercise left to the
    > reader.

    Never used it before, but a current contract of my wife uses it.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 25, 2003
  16. Wally

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, alanb+google4
    @digistar.com says...
    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:15:30 +1200, Allistar wrote:
    >

    > > What's that? The fact that only OO can open it's own formats? It can also
    > > open .doc, .xls, .ppt can save to all of those formats as well as .pdf.
    > > Sounds like a reason to switch to OO, not a reason not to.
    > >

    > MS go out of their way to change save formats to make rendering in other
    > pieces of software difficult.
    >
    > Mind you they do that to force previous version owners to "upgrade" too.

    It's done primarily to add new features, and is a fact of life with all
    types and all brands of software in the marketplace. For example my
    newsreader client regularly changes its database format.

    Mainlander, Aug 26, 2003
  17. Wally

    pbs Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <>, alanb+google4
    > @digistar.com says...
    >

    >>MS go out of their way to change save formats to make rendering in other
    >>pieces of software difficult.
    >>
    >>Mind you they do that to force previous version owners to "upgrade" too.

    > It's done primarily to add new features, and is a fact of life with all

    LOL. If it were done "primarily to add new features" they would not stop
    earlier versions of their software reading a subset of the new data
    formats.

    'This is "blocking and tackling" not rocket science'
    -- NASA Administrator Daniel Goldin at the 15th NASA *Continual*
    *Improvement* and *Reinvention* Conference
    (after the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter due to metric and
    imperial measurement mix ups)

    pbs, Aug 29, 2003
  18. Wally

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bin2jf$6au$>,
    says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > In article <>, alanb+google4
    > > @digistar.com says...
    > >

    > >>MS go out of their way to change save formats to make rendering in other
    > >>pieces of software difficult.
    > >>
    > >>Mind you they do that to force previous version owners to "upgrade" too.

    > > It's done primarily to add new features, and is a fact of life with all

    > LOL. If it were done "primarily to add new features" they would not stop
    > earlier versions of their software reading a subset of the new data
    > formats.

    How can you tell an earlier piece of software how to recognise a new
    format that it doesn't inherently know about.

    Mainlander, Sep 2, 2003
  19. Wally

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <bin2jf$6au$>,
    > says...
    > > Mainlander wrote:
    > > > In article <>,

    alanb+google4
    > > > @digistar.com says...

    other

    too.

    > > > It's done primarily to add new features, and is a fact of life with

    all

    > > LOL. If it were done "primarily to add new features" they would not stop
    > > earlier versions of their software reading a subset of the new data
    > > formats.

    > How can you tell an earlier piece of software how to recognise a new
    > format that it doesn't inherently know about.

    Issue a patch?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2003
  20. Wally

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > How can you tell an earlier piece of software how to recognise a new
    > format that it doesn't inherently know about.

    patch it.

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003