    only because of the other readers, but also because the IBM guys
    frequented the groups and responded with excellent advice. If they're
    still there, I'd appreciate someone posting a direct link.

    mcp6453, Dec 22, 2003

  2. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > Last year, IBM had newsgroups or discussion groups on their web site for
    > questions regarding their branded PCs. I cannot find them. Does anyone
    > know if they have been discontinued? They were a WONDERFUL resource, not
    > only because of the other readers, but also because the IBM guys
    > frequented the groups and responded with excellent advice. If they're
    > still there, I'd appreciate someone posting a direct link.

    Just found my answer. My comments follow:

    ------------------------------

    What happened to discussion forums?
    Updated 8 November 2003

    Earlier this year, IBM proudly launched a completely redesigned Personal
    Computing Support Web site, which features improved task-based
    navigation and enhanced functions to make it easier for you to find the
    information you need, thus helping to save you time and keep you
    productive. It is IBM's goal to make sure that all future updates to the
    site do the same thing: improve your efficiency so you can get back to
    business faster.

    In reviewing the current PCD Support Web site, it became apparent that
    the Discussion Forums were not the best way to deliver technical support
    solutions to you. Instead, we have decided to focus on enhanced
    functions like our multiple file download feature, improved warranty
    lookup, automated solutions, and our new troubleshooting feature.

    Since the Discussion Forums no longer provide an efficient means to
    communicate solutions, we removed this application in November 2003 so
    we could devote our resources to making our site even more effective and
    convenient for you.

    ------------------------------

    Okay, so I have an IBM 6862-Q8U, which is out of warranty. Normally I
    could go into the IBM newgroup, post a question, and get an answer
    rather promptly. Here's my problem. The CPU in this unit is bad. It came
    with a 650 MHZ PIII. Since it has a 100 MHz bus, it has a 6.5
    multiplier. The motherboard markings only show multipliers to 4.0 for a
    100 MHZ FSB. The specs on IBM's web site show that this unit was shipped
    with a 650 MHz processor. I need to install a 500 MHz processor. What
    are the proper switch settings? Normally there is an errata or follow up
    manual page that shows configurations for the later versions of the
    motherboard.

    If I don't find an answer to this question, it will be because IBM
    doesn't care about Customer Support for a computer after it goes out of
    warranty. We have one customer with over 100 IBM PCs, based on our
    recommendation. Until now, I have recommended IBM and Dell exclusively
    to our customers. Unless Dell has abandoned its customers like IBM has
    apparently done, I will recommend Dell exclusively from this point
    forward. If this information is available, I retract my hostility
    towards IBM.

    If I have overlooked any other options, please let me know.

    mcp6453, Dec 22, 2003

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Re: IBM Discussion Groups (answer)

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > If I have overlooked any other options, please let me know.

    Okay, so I take back SOME of what I said. From a 600 page manual I found
    on IBM's web site: "Pentium III processors do not require speed
    settings. For Pentium III processors, you can ignore the speed
    settings."

    I still have major reservations recommending computers with live support
    that ends at the end of the one-year warranty period.

    mcp6453, Dec 22, 2003
  4. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Okay, so I take back SOME of what I said. From a 600 page manual I found
    > on IBM's web site: "Pentium III processors do not require speed
    > settings. For Pentium III processors, you can ignore the speed
    > settings."

    Yes, the Pentium 3 is multiplier locked, so no matter what the jumpers say,
    the CPU will always have a multiplier of 5 (assuming it's a 100 mhz FSB
    P3). You can't change it, and don't need to worry about it.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 22, 2003