    blown,is there any fuse?

    the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued

    any ideas?

    Joe, Jun 9, 2004

  2. On 9 Jun 2004 13:44:48 -0700, (Joe) wrote:

    >someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
    >in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
    >boot it, play with it.
    >All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
    >beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
    >open, so what could be the problem?
    >
    >changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
    >secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
    >blown,is there any fuse?

    Not likely the problem...motherboard, CPU, RAM, and/or connections are
    indicated.

    >the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued
    >
    >any ideas?

    Well, it's 5 years old. Strip it down to basics, reseat even the basic
    connections. If you can borrow a POST card it may be worth a look.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Joe

    Kenny Guest

    Try changing the CMOS battery.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Joe

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:34:36 +0100, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >Try changing the CMOS battery.

    If all of the above fail, try another power supply. No post usually points to the CPU or the
    motherboard. If there is no (or bad) memory, there are usually beeps involved.

    Tony

    Tony, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I changed CMOS battery,thats not it,if fans,cd drives open it cant be PS can it?

    Joe, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    ok,i removed everything,dimms,HD,floppy,cables,PCI cards, there is no
    beep,no screen,PS fan,mobo fans work, so i assume its motherboard?

    Joe, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Joe

    A Guest

    Hi - Check that the onboard speaker is connected or you won't hear POST beep
    codes. I think I would fit a new graphics card.

    A, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Joe

    A Guest

    I bought a POST card reader on Ebay for £13 sterling and it works great.

    A, Jun 12, 2004