iBGP and Loopback

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gary, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    We have 3 border routers with independent upstreams.

    Does this sound right

    Rtr1 peers with Rtr2 and Rtr3
    Rtr2 peers with Rtr3 and Rtr1
    Rtr3 peers with Rtr1 and Rtr2

    Each router has loopback0 configured with a single public IP and they are aware of each other using EIGRP.

    Does this sound right ? i.e The right way to iBGP ?

    i.e

    1. Using Loopback 0 with a public IP - Should this be private ?
    2. Each router receives a full routing table from each other router
    3. For redundancy should each router run HSRP and back up the other 2 - This would be nice if it makes sense.

    i.e RTRA stays RTRA and assumes RTRB and or RTRC if RTRB and or RTRC fails.

    As each routers main interface is in the same subnet will this (HSRP) work anyway or will each router need to be in a completely different subnet to avoid an intercace IP overlap during HSRP failover ?

    Thanks
    Gary

    Gary, Mar 5, 2004

  2. In article <V4T1c.33005$TT5.26865@lakeread06>,
    "Gary" <> wrote:

    > We have 3 border routers with independent upstreams.
    >
    > Does this sound right
    >
    > Rtr1 peers with Rtr2 and Rtr3
    > Rtr2 peers with Rtr3 and Rtr1
    > Rtr3 peers with Rtr1 and Rtr2
    >
    > Each router has loopback0 configured with a single public IP and they are
    > aware of each other using EIGRP.
    >
    > Does this sound right ? i.e The right way to iBGP ?
    >
    > i.e
    >
    > 1. Using Loopback 0 with a public IP - Should this be private ?

    For iBGP it's irrelevant whether you use public or private IPs. You
    should be able to use private addresses if you want.

    > 2. Each router receives a full routing table from each other router
    > 3. For redundancy should each router run HSRP and back up the other 2 -
    > This would be nice if it makes sense.

    You certainly can do that.

    > i.e RTRA stays RTRA and assumes RTRB and or RTRC if RTRB and or RTRC fails.
    >
    > As each routers main interface is in the same subnet will this (HSRP) work
    > anyway or will each router need to be in a completely different subnet to
    > avoid an intercace IP overlap during HSRP failover ?

    HSRP uses a virtual address that's distinct from the primary address
    assigned to the LAN interface. Usually it's in the same subnet as the
    interface's regular address, and all the routers are in the same subnet.
    Look at the example HSRP configs in the Cisco documentation.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Mar 5, 2004