iax voipcheap.com

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ¬Stephen Hammond, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. Apparently iax is better is it possible to use iax with voipcheap.com ?
    ¬Stephen Hammond, Dec 12, 2006

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in
    message news:elnaqd$f85$1$
    > Apparently iax is better is it possible to use iax with
    > voipcheap.com ?

    IAX is better for what..? IAX stands for Inter-Asterisk-eXchange and is
    used for talking between/to/from Asterisk boxes.

    However, while it is theoretically easier to set up, in that it only uses
    a single port (usually 4569) rather than the myriad of port numbers used
    by SIP, it isn't necessarily "better" as such. I and a friend in North
    Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone level trying to
    figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is suffering no end of problems
    connecting to his Asterisk PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working
    fine..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 12, 2006

  3. On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:59:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    > I and a friend in North
    >Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone level trying to
    >figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is suffering no end of problems
    >connecting to his Asterisk PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working
    >fine..!

    Can your friend connect to it locally using IAX?
    --
    Locate your Mobile phone: <http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html>
    Great gifts: <http://www.ThisBritain.com/ASOS_popup.html>
    David Quinton, Dec 13, 2006
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "David Quinton"
    <> wrote in
    message news:
    > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:59:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I and a friend in North
    > > Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone
    > > level trying to figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is
    > > suffering no end of problems connecting to his Asterisk
    > > PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working fine..!

    > Can your friend connect to it locally using IAX?

    Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
    http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
    exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.

    The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
    manufacturers.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 13, 2006
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Tim Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
    > http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
    > exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.
    >
    > The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
    > manufacturers.

    IAX is very proprietary.

    Even though the source code is open, it is still a specific to asterisk
    thing.

    Tim
    Tim, Dec 13, 2006
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in
    > > the IAX ATA -
    > > http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone
    > > else is having exactly the same problem connected to a
    > > totally different Asterisk box.
    > >
    > > The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on
    > > a reply from the manufacturers.

    > IAX is very proprietary.
    >
    > Even though the source code is open, it is still a
    > specific to asterisk thing.

    Maybe that's why it's called Inter-ASTERISK-eXchange ;-)

    If anyone's interested, the system we're using is CNET (see www.ckts.info)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 13, 2006
  7. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "David Quinton"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:
    >> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:59:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I and a friend in North
    >>> Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone
    >>> level trying to figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is
    >>> suffering no end of problems connecting to his Asterisk
    >>> PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working fine..!

    >> Can your friend connect to it locally using IAX?

    > Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
    > http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
    > exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.
    >
    > The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
    > manufacturers.

    Have you tried the manufacturers forums?

    http://bbs.pa1688.com/ (I know it's not a PA1688-based ATA, but that's
    just the url of the site).
    Thomas Kenyon, Dec 13, 2006
  8. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    message news:QGYfh.6431$
    > Ivor Jones wrote:

    [snip]

    > > The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on
    > > a reply from the manufacturers.
    > >

    > Have you tried the manufacturers forums?
    >
    > http://bbs.pa1688.com/ (I know it's not a PA1688-based
    > ATA, but that's just the url of the site).

    Yes, already looked there. Nothing specific to our problem. It doesn't
    help that CNET isn't exactly a mainstream use of VoIP..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 13, 2006
  9. ¬Stephen Hammond

    David Cook Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
    > http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
    > exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.
    >
    > The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
    > manufacturers.
    >

    > Ivor

    Try IDEFISK from http://www.asteriskguru.com. If this works then
    unfortunately it is your ATA.

    Best regards.
    David Cook, Dec 14, 2006
  10. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "David Cook" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > >
    > > Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in
    > > the IAX ATA -
    > > http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone
    > > else is having exactly the same problem connected to a
    > > totally different Asterisk box. The device is very new on the market,
    > > we're waiting on
    > > a reply from the manufacturers.

    > Try IDEFISK from http://www.asteriskguru.com. If this
    > works then unfortunately it is your ATA.

    Thanks, I'll give that a look. The problem is, some of the trouble we're
    having is intermittent, i.e. a call attempt will fail two or three times,
    then succeed on the next try.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 15, 2006
  11. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "David Cook" <> wrote in message
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> >
    >>> Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in
    >>> the IAX ATA -
    >>> http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone
    >>> else is having exactly the same problem connected to a
    >>> totally different Asterisk box. The device is very new on the market,
    >>> we're waiting on
    >>> a reply from the manufacturers.

    >> Try IDEFISK from http://www.asteriskguru.com. If this
    >> works then unfortunately it is your ATA.

    > Thanks, I'll give that a look. The problem is, some of the trouble we're
    > having is intermittent, i.e. a call attempt will fail two or three times,
    > then succeed on the next try.

    Is there a qualify= line in the iax.conf entry on the remote host?
    Are you registering to the remote host or are you using static hosts?
    Thomas Kenyon, Dec 15, 2006
  12. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    message news:mBxgh.11945$
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "David Cook" <> wrote in
    > > message news:4581b821$0$761$

    [snip]

    > > > Try IDEFISK from http://www.asteriskguru.com. If this
    > > > works then unfortunately it is your ATA.

    > > Thanks, I'll give that a look. The problem is, some of
    > > the trouble we're having is intermittent, i.e. a call
    > > attempt will fail two or three times, then succeed on
    > > the next try.

    > Is there a qualify= line in the iax.conf entry on the
    > remote host? Are you registering to the remote host or
    > are you using static hosts?

    I don't know about qualify= as I'm not at the remote end and my knowledge
    of Asterisk/Linux is virtually non-existent..! However I will ask and let
    you know. What should be in that line..?

    Using registration as you would to a normal VoIP provider.

    Incidentally, I've tried the DIAX softphone on my laptop and that works
    fine.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 15, 2006
  13. ¬Stephen Hammond

    ale.cx Guest

    On Dec 15, 1:59 am, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:

    > Thanks, I'll give that a look. The problem is, some of the trouble
    > we're having is intermittent, i.e. a call attempt will fail two or three
    > times, then succeed on the next try.

    Asterisk in most configurations logs most or all of what it does in
    /var/log/asterisk. You can also increase debugging with 'iax2 debug'
    from the console. Annoyingly enough it's not possible to debug an
    individual IAX peer or trunk in the way you can with SIP :-(
    ale.cx, Dec 15, 2006
  14. ¬Stephen Hammond

    ale.cx, Dec 15, 2006
  15. ¬Stephen Hammond

    ale.cx, Dec 15, 2006
  16. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    > message news:mBxgh.11945$
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>> "David Cook" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:4581b821$0$761$

    > [snip]

    >>> Thanks, I'll give that a look. The problem is, some of
    >>> the trouble we're having is intermittent, i.e. a call
    >>> attempt will fail two or three times, then succeed on
    >>> the next try.

    >> Is there a qualify= line in the iax.conf entry on the
    >> remote host? Are you registering to the remote host or
    >> are you using static hosts?

    > I don't know about qualify= as I'm not at the remote end and my knowledge
    > of Asterisk/Linux is virtually non-existent..! However I will ask and let
    > you know. What should be in that line..?
    >
    > Using registration as you would to a normal VoIP provider.

    In this situation, normal is only defined by your setup, if you both
    have static IPs then you wouldn't want to register. (registrations are
    quite uncommon with iax, so it wouldn't surprise me if the registration
    code in the ATA hasn't been exhaustively tested).

    The only VoIP providers I use that will use iax to terminate to you,
    (gradwell and voiptalk) do not support registrations. (afaik).

    It would also be prudent (if the ATA supports it) to use RSA
    authentication. (if you don't know, ask).

    Thomas Kenyon, Dec 15, 2006