i386 installation problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Raymond, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    I partitioned and formated my 2g C drive in fdisk. Then, I wanted to
    install window 2000 on the D drive on the i386 directory. I typed winnt to
    install window 2000.

    A blue window popuped saying something setup needs to know where window 2000
    files are located. Enter the path. and below this line a path D:\i386. I
    pressed enter.

    Then another blue window popuped saying setup did not detect smartdrive.
    Giving me two option below > Press F3 to exit or enter to continue without
    smartdrive. I pressed enter.

    Then, another blue window popuped, window 2000 required a hard drive of at
    least 212 mg of free disk space, and on the bottom saying setup was unable
    to locate such a drive with the required amount of free space. Press enter
    to exit!

    What was wrong? How do I get window 2000 install by command prompt?

    Thanks

    Raymond, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Raymond

    MF Guest

    Can you describe this a little more fully? What OS were you booted
    into when you typed? What is D:, a cd drive, another hard drive,
    another partition on the first drive, what? where are you trying to
    install *to* and is that different from where your i386 directory is?
    What file system did you use on your c drive?

    And yes, if you're installing from a boot disk, it behooves you to
    have smartdrv.exe on the disk and an entry in an autoexec.bat file to
    load it. Or maybe config.sys - o my god, i forget which. Well, look
    it up, or try one, and if it doesn't work, the other will. Without
    smartdrive, the install will seem to take the rest of your life. Or
    more.

    good luck
    mike

    MF, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    If you used Fat 32 the windows98 setup uses a ramdrive for temp
    storage and it sets this ramdrive as the last drive letter available, its
    never very big so w2k would not fit!

    Yeah, I used a window 98 startup disk to partition for fat 32 inorder to
    install window2000. Then, I used the same 2g hard drive to install window98
    in the cmos menu by booting from cd. I should expect window 98 will
    automatically guild me through the partition process and format, but I black
    sreen popuped saying ntldr(nt loader) is missing. I just don't know where
    to go from here. I just want to get any damn operating system installed.

    Please help.

    Raymond, Oct 15, 2003
  4. If you recently formatted the drive and want to install WIN 2K on it without
    worrying about what's on there, just install from the Bootable CD. Don't
    worry about what's on there and repartition it and format with NTFS.

    Philip

    C. Philip Cutler II, Oct 15, 2003
  5. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Can you describe this a little more fully? What OS were you booted
    into when you typed? What is D:, a cd drive, another hard drive,
    another partition on the first drive, what? where are you trying to
    install *to* and is that different from where your i386 directory is?
    What file system did you use on your c drive?

    I was trying to install window 2000 into a tini tiny 2g hard drive, which i
    partitioned and format to call it C drive, then I tried to install window
    2000 from the cdrom drive D by using the i386 folder from the cd in drive D.
    It Won't work. Setup needs smartdrive and I went to edit autoexe.bat to put
    a smartdrv there, but I crewuped or don't know how to put a smartdrv there
    anyhow(any help on smartdrv is greatly appreciated).

    Is window 2000 requires a hard drive that is larger than 2g?

    Raymond, Oct 15, 2003
  6. It definitely sounds like a ram disk problem. The easiest way to get around
    this is to probably boot to your start up disk, but have a blank disk
    around. When the system has booted up amd you are at the a: prompt type
    "format a: /s" (without the quotes), and format a new disk to be a system
    disk. When it is done, boot to it. Then you will be able to do the install
    as you were before. Note though, that you might want to read up on smartdrv
    and use it as mentioned in another post.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > I partitioned and formated my 2g C drive in fdisk. Then, I wanted to
    > install window 2000 on the D drive on the i386 directory. I typed
    > winnt to install window 2000.
    >
    > A blue window popuped saying something setup needs to know where
    > window 2000 files are located. Enter the path. and below this line
    > a path D:\i386. I pressed enter.
    >
    > Then another blue window popuped saying setup did not detect
    > smartdrive. Giving me two option below > Press F3 to exit or enter to
    > continue without smartdrive. I pressed enter.
    >
    > Then, another blue window popuped, window 2000 required a hard drive
    > of at least 212 mg of free disk space, and on the bottom saying setup
    > was unable to locate such a drive with the required amount of free
    > space. Press enter to exit!
    >
    > What was wrong? How do I get window 2000 install by command prompt?
    >
    > Thanks

    can't you boot off the cd ?
    installing it from dos sucks bad, it's slow and painful :)

    Geoff, Oct 16, 2003
  8. You do not install Windows in \I386, rather you install Windows in
    \Windows from the install files in \I386.

    Copy the I386 folder from the CD to D:\I386, then change to a dos prompt:

    D:\I386>

    and run WINNT. When it asks you were to install Windows, say D:\Windows.

    Note, if you are doing a dual boot installation and are using the
    Microsoft dual-boot software, you should install the other OS on drive
    C: FIRST.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Raymond

    MF Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote in message

    > Can you describe this a little more fully? What OS were you booted
    > into when you typed? What is D:, a cd drive, another hard drive,
    > another partition on the first drive, what? where are you trying to
    > install *to* and is that different from where your i386 directory

    is?
    > What file system did you use on your c drive?
    > >>>>

    > I was trying to install window 2000 into a tini tiny 2g hard drive,

    which i
    > partitioned and format to call it C drive, then I tried to install

    window
    > 2000 from the cdrom drive D by using the i386 folder from the cd in

    drive D.
    > It Won't work. Setup needs smartdrive and I went to edit

    autoexe.bat to put
    > a smartdrv there, but I crewuped or don't know how to put a smartdrv

    there
    > anyhow(any help on smartdrv is greatly appreciated).
    >
    > Is window 2000 requires a hard drive that is larger than 2g?

    W2k will install on a 2 gig drive. I still need to know what you are
    booting to. It sounds like you are using a DOS boot disk. This
    implies that either you have an older computer that won't boot from
    the CD or your computer is one of those that has to have it's Setup
    program changed in order to boot from the CD.

    Which is it? The ideal solution is to boot from the CD. Then your
    smartdrive hassles are taken care of. But you can't run WINNT.exe
    directly from the command prompt without smartdrive UNLESS you are
    willing to spend many many hours installing the OS.

    Here's how to install W2k on a computer with a blank hard drive (that
    was made after late 1998 or so and will boot from the CD):

    Turn the computer on. Put in the CD. Turn the computer off and turn
    it back on. If it doesn't find the CD Drive to boot from, turn it off
    and turn it back on. Watch the screen as it starts up. After a
    moment or two, You will see a statement telling you to press a key to
    enter Setup. Press the key. The text based setup program will show
    you a menu. Press the arrow keys to highlight an option and the enter
    key to see what the choices are for that option.

    Do this until you find the entry that allows you to change your boot
    order, the order of the drives the computer looks at to find an
    operating system. (boot order is often under the second or third
    option on the main menu).

    Make the CD the first drive it looks at. Then press escape or F10
    and follow the prompts to save your changes and exit. The computer
    will restart and now it should boot from the W2K CD.

    If it won't boot from the CD, you have to copy smartdrv.exe on to your
    boot floppy disk from the operating system you used to make that boot
    disk. If you used windows 98 Smartdrv.exe should be in your \windows
    directory. Once you've copied it to the floppy, open (or make) the
    autoexec.bat file and put in this statement a:\smartdrv.exe that's
    all you need to do.

    You can also search the internet for pre made boot disks, or
    instructions on how to make one.

    Now it will load into memory when the computer boots. And you can
    change to your d: drive and run winnt.exe. By the way, how much
    memory do you have in that computer?

    To learn about smartdrive go here:
    http://www.tcs.org/ioport/read9711.htm
    Don't worry about what it says at the end about vcache replacing
    smartdrive; if you are using a dos boot disk you need smartdrive.

    Other possible sources of the problem - the hd is jumpered wrong
    - somehow, the thing did not get partitioned to the full two gigs
    -FAT16 - wouldn't cause a problem now, but would later. make sure you
    formatted in FAT32 or NTFS.
    (if your partition size or format is a problem, W2K setup (once it
    runs) has a utility to repartition and format right in the middle of
    setup- makes you wonder why they didn't do that years ago).
    -you don't have enough memory.
    -ramdrive should not be a problem. unless you lose track of it - I
    say this because I have got confused about which one the ramdrive is,
    but i've never seen windows lose track of it. if you forget which it
    is just change (cd) to each drive letter and type dir . when you get
    to the ramdrive, it will tell you volume so-and-so is MS-Ramdrive.
    Make sure you are not confusing your ramdrive letter with your CD
    drive letter, i.e., telling the computer that your i386 is in your
    ramdrive not your cd drive.

    HOWEVER, hopefully, your computer is new enough to boot from the CD.
    That should solve the prob.
    good luck
    mike

    MF, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    Turn the computer on. Put in the CD. Turn the computer off and turn
    it back on. If it doesn't find the CD Drive to boot from, turn it off
    and turn it back on. Watch the screen as it starts up. After a
    moment or two, You will see a statement telling you to press a key to
    enter Setup. Press the key. The text based setup program will show
    you a menu. Press the arrow keys to highlight an option and the enter
    key to see what the choices are for that option.

    I found it strange that after partitioned and formatted my hard drive using
    fdisk in window 98 startup disk, I can't install window2000 by going to cmos
    and boot from cd. If I pop out the win98 startup disk, then boot from cd,
    the a c: prompt will popup and stand there forever. Above the standing c:
    prompt are several lines like boot from cd, microsoft window 98, and the c:
    prompt just stand there. Typed D:, and it can't even regconize the drive,
    saying invalid drive specitication. So, I went back with the startup disk
    all the way from partition, format, to install window 2000 in the i386
    dirtory on cdrom drive, all are using fdisk. No problem with invalid drive
    specification. The only problem using fdisk to install win2000 is extremly
    slow. I just don't understand why can use fdisk to partition and format the
    hard drive, but then I cannot use boot from cd to install window into the
    hard drive. Instead, I have to choose one method and use it all the way.
    My apologize if I ask stupid question.

    Thanks

    Raymond, Oct 16, 2003
  11. Raymond

    MF Guest

    this sounds likes a boot order problem. you have to get into setup
    and tell it to boot from the CD **FIRST**. then, when you start it
    up (use hard boots, or turn it off, don't control-alt-delete) you have
    to watch the screen for a message that says something like "press any
    key to boot from the CD". If you can't do that, your computer prob.
    won't boot from the CD. In that case, you have to add smartdrive and
    the command to load it on to your win98 boot floppy. (see previous
    post or search the net)

    btw, you can't install anything from win 98 fdisk. it's a
    partitioning program and doesn't do *anything* but create and delete
    partitions. you are simply using the boot floppy to start your
    computer under a minimal version of DOS. then you are running
    winnt.exe. However, all by itself, DOS won't manage hard disk
    transfers of massive amounts of data in an effecient way, so you need
    smartdrive to speed things up.

    good luck
    Mike

    MF, Oct 19, 2003