    What are the Ntldr and the Ntdetect.com files used for ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Ditoa Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:09:58 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >Can anyone tell me the significance of the I386 folder in Windows XP ?
    >What is it supposed to contain, etc.
    >
    >What are the Ntldr and the Ntdetect.com files used for ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    I386 contains all the system files, basically I386 is Windows!

    NTLDR, etc. are the NT boot loader files, these file kickstart the OS
    when the computer boots up.

    Don't delete those files :)
    Ditoa, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Robert11

    EricP Guest

    wrote:

    >What are the Ntldr and the Ntdetect.com files used for ?

    These are the windows boot files. Leave alone or you will get a blank
    PC when you boot.
    EricP, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Robert11

    John Holmes Guest

    Ditoa came up with this:

    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:09:58 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello:
    >>
    >>Can anyone tell me the significance of the I386 folder in Windows XP ?
    >>What is it supposed to contain, etc.
    >>
    >>What are the Ntldr and the Ntdetect.com files used for ?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Bob
    >>

    > basically I386 is Windows!

    When it comes to I.Q. points, you lose them every time you go to the
    bathroom.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Robert11

    Ditoa Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:47:16 +0100, John Holmes <>
    wrote:

    >When it comes to I.Q. points, you lose them every time you go to the
    >bathroom.

    If you want to get technical then no I386 isn't Windows. However
    considering how the OP asked the question I didn't want to go into
    huge amounts of detail and bore them. They just wanted a simple
    answer, if they wanted more detail they would have said or could have
    posted for more information.

    I will make a note to always include full detail for you in the future
    however.
    Ditoa, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:01:25 +0000, Ditoa wrote:

    >On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:47:16 +0100, John Holmes <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>When it comes to I.Q. points, you lose them every time you go to the
    >>bathroom.

    >If you want to get technical then no I386 isn't Windows. However
    >considering how the OP asked the question I didn't want to go into
    >huge amounts of detail and bore them. They just wanted a simple
    >answer, if they wanted more detail they would have said or could have
    >posted for more information.

    Your simple answer could have been just as short as your first.

    i386 represents the CPU type, other Windows versions use IA64 for the
    64bit Intel, AMD64 for the AMD chips.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Robert11

    John Holmes Guest

    Ditoa came up with this:

    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:47:16 +0100, John Holmes <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>When it comes to I.Q. points, you lose them every time you go to the
    >>bathroom.

    > If you want to get technical then no I386 isn't Windows. However
    > considering how the OP asked the question I didn't want to go into
    > huge amounts of detail and bore them. They just wanted a simple
    > answer, if they wanted more detail they would have said or could have
    > posted for more information.
    >
    > I will make a note to always include full detail for you in the future
    > however.

    If I want any crap from you I'd squeeze your head.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Robert11

    zxcvbob Guest

    Re: I386 Forlder and Ntldr and Ntdetect Files In XP: Questions On?

    Ditoa wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:47:16 +0100, John Holmes <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>When it comes to I.Q. points, you lose them every time you go to the
    >>bathroom.

    > If you want to get technical then no I386 isn't Windows. However
    > considering how the OP asked the question I didn't want to go into
    > huge amounts of detail and bore them. They just wanted a simple
    > answer, if they wanted more detail they would have said or could have
    > posted for more information.
    >
    > I will make a note to always include full detail for you in the future
    > however.

    OK, I'll jump in with a follow-up question.

    Can you reinstall XP with just some kind of boot disk and CD-R with I386
    copied to it? (I know that works with W-2000, but not sure about XP.
    Also I don't know about reactivation if I'm installing back to the same
    PC but a new hard drive, and I have the original license key.)

    That activation thing is why I'm avoiding XP, but the last 2 PC's I
    bought had XP preloaded.

    Thanks, regards,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, Jan 5, 2005