    I read something about symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) kernel and it
    appears to be a possibility so I would like some expert advice here to
    commect the two together.....
    Edward, Aug 4, 2009

  2. Edward

    tsperling Guest

    That, I'm afraid, is not the purpose for SMP, which is intended for having
    more processors running under the same OS - or, the same PC. I am not an
    authority on your intended usage, but I believe there is a technology known
    as a 'Render Farm' that connects several PC's for one job, but I'm not sure
    to what extend you can use them as a normal Desktop afterwards, but it is
    something you might want to investigate.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Aug 4, 2009

  3. SMP is having two identical CPUs on one motherboard. XP Pro, but not XP
    Home, supports SMP. Both XP Pro and Home support as many cores on one
    CPU as their manufacturers can squeeze in.

    For Render Farm, as Tony suggests, start at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_farm .

    Dominic Payer, Aug 4, 2009
  4. Or, if your needs are for serious parallel processing, consider Windows HPC
    Server 2008. This allows you to build parallel high performance computing
    clusters of a few or a few thousand computers. Compute clusters are a very
    interesting technology for solving massive problems. Probably overkill for
    the OPs rendering, but...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64