    Any help would be great.

    regards,
    Shaun

    Shaun, Jul 12, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Shaun <> wrote:
    :I need to know the commands for this.

    :I want to export a list of ports that have been active/in-active for
    :the past three weeks to a csv or text file so that I may free up some
    :ports.

    There are no commands for that on the 6500, not under CatOS and not
    under IOS. Indeed, there are no commands to tell you when the last
    I/O was on a switch port.

    If this is a one-time clearout, then we suggest that you clear the
    port counters, and go back 3 weeks from now and see which ports still
    have counters of zero.

    You may also wish to check into using MRTG or other equivilent program
    to SNMP monitor usage of your ports. You can then look at the historical
    graphs to determine port usage.
    --
    Warning: potentially contains traces of nuts.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Shaun

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <ccu9qd$t6l$>, Walter Roberson
    <-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Shaun <> wrote:
    > :I need to know the commands for this.
    >
    > :I want to export a list of ports that have been active/in-active for
    > :the past three weeks to a csv or text file so that I may free up some
    > :ports.
    >
    > There are no commands for that on the 6500, not under CatOS and not
    > under IOS. Indeed, there are no commands to tell you when the last
    > I/O was on a switch port.

    This seems a shame since "show interface" has timers for last input and
    last output. I've never quite understood what they're for since they
    seem to lie to you - compare the "last input" etc. times and the other
    statistics in this output:

    FastEthernet5/17 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
    Hardware is C6k 100Mb 802.3, address is aabb.ccdd.eeff (bia
    aabb.ccdd.eeff)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 2/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Full-duplex, 100Mb/s
    input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Last input never, output 00:00:29, output hang never
    Input queue: 0/2000/21/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output
    drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    436027642 packets input, 82024694743 bytes, 0 no buffer
    Received 54781738 broadcasts (52878189 multicast)
    0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
    2753055242 packets output, 416993692252 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

    This system has been up for nearly 4 weeks. Examples in the command
    reference contain equally glaring discrepancies.

    > [other useful suggestions deleted]

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Jul 12, 2004