I wonder....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    .... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
    other brands / sizes of HDD?

    There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and using
    the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an internal HDD
    everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of using the adapter part
    with other drives.

    I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of internal
    drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and, rather than buy a
    USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I
    was thinking about getting a Seagate 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using
    the small PCB from that to access my other drives via USB 3.....

    (Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable - Same
    as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a 2TB HDD *and* a
    USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have the $$ to spend but I'm
    due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch of things have been *not* going
    my way recently - hence needing a replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other
    things.)

    Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could always just
    use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if it doesn't work. :-/

    Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend. :)

    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2013

  2. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-08-23, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
    > other brands / sizes of HDD?

    Leaving aside the USB3 side of things. I had an external seagate external
    HD which went dead. So I thought I would take some of my frustration out by
    pulling it apart, carefully. It was basically a plastic case around a metal
    chasis to hold the HD and the USB2 to SATA interface.

    All HDs I have plugged in have worked. Threw away the plastic case as it was
    damaged.

    This is for the 3.5" version. Some of the 2.5" ones do very "clever" things
    which make the drive attached ti the USB to SATA interface.

    SATA is a standard is it not? So any SATA male and female should work just
    fine together.

    Gordon, Aug 23, 2013

  3. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:31:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
    >other brands / sizes of HDD?
    >
    >There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and using
    >the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an internal HDD
    >everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of using the adapter part
    >with other drives.
    >
    >I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of internal
    >drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and, rather than buy a
    >USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I
    >was thinking about getting a Seagate 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using
    >the small PCB from that to access my other drives via USB 3.....
    >
    >(Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable - Same
    >as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a 2TB HDD *and* a
    >USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have the $$ to spend but I'm
    >due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch of things have been *not* going
    >my way recently - hence needing a replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other
    >things.)
    >
    >Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could always just
    >use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if it doesn't work. :-/

    I understand that some external USB hard drives have firmware that is
    modified for better performance under USB. That sometimes affects the
    performance for the worse if they are plugged directly to a SATA
    connection on a PC.

    I would expect a foreign drive would work in the adapter, but if the
    adapter is optimised to use the original firmware then maybe
    performance would be adversely affected. Or maybe not... it probably
    wouldn't be a major performance hit in any case. I've swapped out
    drives in USB adapters in the past without problems, but that was back
    before they had things like custom firmware or USB 3.

    So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

    Incidentally as far as the warranty goes, I had a couple of dead
    drives at work for which I had no record of where I bought them. I
    discovered that both Seagate and WD's website have a page where you
    can make a warranty claim. I had to send the drives to Singapore I
    think it was, but for the cost of the courier - about $20 - I got 2
    new drives. So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
    dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
    jump through the required hoops.

    >Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend. :)

    You too.

    Ray Greene, Aug 23, 2013
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-08-23, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used
    >> with other brands / sizes of HDD?

    > Leaving aside the USB3 side of things. I had an external seagate
    > external HD which went dead. So I thought I would take some of my
    > frustration out by pulling it apart, carefully. It was basically a
    > plastic case around a metal chasis to hold the HD and the USB2 to
    > SATA interface.
    >
    > All HDs I have plugged in have worked. Threw away the plastic case as
    > it was damaged.
    >
    > This is for the 3.5" version. Some of the 2.5" ones do very "clever"
    > things which make the drive attached ti the USB to SATA interface.
    >
    > SATA is a standard is it not? So any SATA male and female should work
    > just fine together.

    Sounds good Gordon, thanks for the feedback.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2013
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:31:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used
    >> with other brands / sizes of HDD?
    >>
    >> There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and
    >> using the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an
    >> internal HDD everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of
    >> using the adapter part with other drives.
    >>
    >> I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of
    >> internal drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and,
    >> rather than buy a USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be
    >> obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I was thinking about getting a Seagate
    >> 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using the small PCB from that to
    >> access my other drives via USB 3.....
    >>
    >> (Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable
    >> - Same as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a
    >> 2TB HDD *and* a USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have
    >> the $$ to spend but I'm due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch
    >> of things have been *not* going my way recently - hence needing a
    >> replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other things.)
    >>
    >> Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could
    >> always just use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if
    >> it doesn't work. :-/

    > I understand that some external USB hard drives have firmware that is
    > modified for better performance under USB. That sometimes affects the
    > performance for the worse if they are plugged directly to a SATA
    > connection on a PC.

    Yep. However I'm wanting to go the otherway. Incidently I thought the same
    thing but, according to all accounts I read on teh webz, nobody who
    documented their 'process' reported trouble with the HDD. <shrug>

    > I would expect a foreign drive would work in the adapter, but if the
    > adapter is optimised to use the original firmware then maybe
    > performance would be adversely affected. Or maybe not... it probably
    > wouldn't be a major performance hit in any case. I've swapped out
    > drives in USB adapters in the past without problems, but that was back
    > before they had things like custom firmware or USB 3.
    >
    > So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

    Yeah, I'm thinking so too. Might go get one tomorrow. There's five paydays
    for me in October (which, as a rule means I get a small surplus for the
    month - which I usually pay off a card) so, if I can somehow wangle the
    money until then...

    > Incidentally as far as the warranty goes, I had a couple of dead
    > drives at work for which I had no record of where I bought them. I
    > discovered that both Seagate and WD's website have a page where you
    > can make a warranty claim. I had to send the drives to Singapore I
    > think it was, but for the cost of the courier - about $20 - I got 2
    > new drives. So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
    > dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
    > jump through the required hoops.

    Also good to know. Thanks.

    >> Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend. :)

    > You too.

    Cheers. I shall indeed try to. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2013
  6. On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:31:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
    >other brands / sizes of HDD?
    >
    >There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and using
    >the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an internal HDD
    >everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of using the adapter part
    >with other drives.
    >
    >I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of internal
    >drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and, rather than buy a
    >USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I
    >was thinking about getting a Seagate 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using
    >the small PCB from that to access my other drives via USB 3.....
    >
    >(Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable - Same
    >as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a 2TB HDD *and* a
    >USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have the $$ to spend but I'm
    >due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch of things have been *not* going
    >my way recently - hence needing a replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other
    >things.)
    >
    >Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could always just
    >use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if it doesn't work. :-/
    >
    >Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend. :)

    These drives no longer have SATA ports..

    Frank Williams, Aug 23, 2013
  7. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:04:35 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

    > . So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
    > dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
    > jump through the required hoops.

    I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go :(

    Bret, Aug 23, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:00:37 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:04:35 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> . So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
    >> dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
    >> jump through the required hoops.

    >I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go :(

    Good to know, but - bugger...

    Ray Greene, Aug 26, 2013
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:31:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used
    >>> with other brands / sizes of HDD?

    [snipped]

    >> So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

    > Yeah, I'm thinking so too. Might go get one tomorrow.

    OK. I rather foolishly (from a financial PoV) bought a Seagate 2TB USB3
    "Expansion" external HDD yesterday from DSE. They had a Father's Day special
    and were putting them out the door at $119 each.

    For a start that's a crazy price! I normally use Ascent but I know others
    don't, they're slightly dearer but often goods are here in less than 24
    hours and they have *excellent* after-sales service. Also their prices
    include delivery so there are no nasty purprises. The other most commonly
    referred to supplier seems to be PB tech hereabouts so I'll use those two;

    Ascent have the same drive for $146, PB Tech have it for $113.85. (Shit!
    That surprised me!)

    As for a Seagate 2TB 7,200 internal:

    Ascent $155 and PB Tech $136.85. (I have no idea how much PB would charge
    for shipping as I don't have an account with them and it seems I need one to
    find out.)

    Anyway, externals are much cheaper than internals and others (both here and
    on teh webz) have said they've used them internally with no problems. (Not
    the same story for WD apparently...)

    So I opened my new external HDD up (and likely voided the three-year
    warranty) to find a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001, apparently the same drive
    as the bare drives quoted above. The firmware is version CC45 and I can't
    find much on Google about that. However I see that Seagate *do* supply
    downloadable firmware for these (in case it needs updating for desktop use)
    and other drives, you just need the cable. However I don't intend to use it
    as a desktop drive.

    (LOL, ironically I recently threw away a Nokia USB - serial cable that
    apparently can be used for this purpose. I always have at least a couple
    'Damn!' moments when I have a clear-out of stuff that's either obsolete or
    hasn't been used for years.)

    So anyway, it took me a while to test things out. I want to be able to
    access my collection of desktop drives via USB 3 rather than the USB2 dock
    I've been using. (Ironically, when I set up my external storage system bare
    desktop drives were considerably cheaper than enclosed external drives - the
    opposite situation to how things are now.) I priced a USB3 dock and they're
    ~$70 so I was looking for another option.

    My biggest concern was if the interface card would work for my 2TB WD green
    drives that are 'Advanced Format' as most Seagate drives, while internally
    AF, present to the computer as backward compatible. As the WDs were all full
    it took me the better part of a day to empty one - just in case the
    interface card destroyed the partition or something. I'd already tested with
    older Seagate drives and it worked just fine. After emptying a WD HDD it
    also worked well.

    So, not a bad deal really. A 2TB HDD much cheaper than you'd pay for it bare
    but also not only the interface card but a USB3 cable (you'll be lucky to
    pick one up for under $10) *and* a 12v / 1.5 amp SMPS plug-pack. (I find 12v
    ones always handy.)

    So, I decided to test speeds. I have an add-in USB3 PCIe card in my desktop
    so was plugging into a port on that. I copied the same 21GB folder each time
    from the fixed HDD to the empty 2TB WD Green drive to get an idea of how
    fast it was. Here's the results:

    Using Seagate USB3 interface card:

    5:15 averaging 63.5MB/sec

    Using a WD USB2 interface card:

    10:55 averaging 29.5MB/sec

    Just for the heck of it I tried the WD USB2 plugged into a (ICH9) USB2
    motherboard port:

    15:50 averaging 22.0MB/sec!

    So not only was using the USB3 interface card a big improvement but using a
    USB2 device in a USB3 port was quite a bit faster (something I'd read
    elsewhere but hadn't tested - cutting a third off the time is pretty damn
    convincing - I know which ports I'll be plugging into!).

    Anyway, just FYI in case anyone wanted to know how it went after my
    questions. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Aug 26, 2013
  10. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:39:54 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:00:37 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:04:35 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>> . So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
    >>> dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
    >>> jump through the required hoops.

    >>I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go :(

    > Good to know, but - bugger...

    I have a good paperweight now though :)

    Bret, Aug 26, 2013
  11. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:20:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:

    >[snipped]
    >
    >>> So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

    >> Yeah, I'm thinking so too. Might go get one tomorrow.

    >OK. I rather foolishly (from a financial PoV) bought a Seagate 2TB USB3
    >"Expansion" external HDD yesterday from DSE. They had a Father's Day special
    >and were putting them out the door at $119 each.

    Good score, that's a nice price all right.

    >For a start that's a crazy price! I normally use Ascent but I know others
    >don't, they're slightly dearer but often goods are here in less than 24
    >hours and they have *excellent* after-sales service. Also their prices
    >include delivery so there are no nasty purprises. The other most commonly
    >referred to supplier seems to be PB tech hereabouts so I'll use those two;
    >
    >Ascent have the same drive for $146, PB Tech have it for $113.85. (Shit!
    >That surprised me!)
    >
    >As for a Seagate 2TB 7,200 internal:
    >
    >Ascent $155 and PB Tech $136.85. (I have no idea how much PB would charge
    >for shipping as I don't have an account with them and it seems I need one to
    >find out.)
    >
    >Anyway, externals are much cheaper than internals and others (both here and
    >on teh webz) have said they've used them internally with no problems. (Not
    >the same story for WD apparently...)
    >
    >So I opened my new external HDD up (and likely voided the three-year
    >warranty) to find a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001, apparently the same drive
    >as the bare drives quoted above. The firmware is version CC45 and I can't
    >find much on Google about that. However I see that Seagate *do* supply
    >downloadable firmware for these (in case it needs updating for desktop use)
    >and other drives, you just need the cable. However I don't intend to use it
    >as a desktop drive.

    I wasn't aware you needed a special cable to update firmware, I
    thought the SATA cable would be all that was required. Live and
    learn...

    >(LOL, ironically I recently threw away a Nokia USB - serial cable that
    >apparently can be used for this purpose. I always have at least a couple
    >'Damn!' moments when I have a clear-out of stuff that's either obsolete or
    >hasn't been used for years.)

    Been there, done that, every time I have a clean out too.

    >So anyway, it took me a while to test things out. I want to be able to
    >access my collection of desktop drives via USB 3 rather than the USB2 dock
    >I've been using. (Ironically, when I set up my external storage system bare
    >desktop drives were considerably cheaper than enclosed external drives - the
    >opposite situation to how things are now.) I priced a USB3 dock and they're
    >~$70 so I was looking for another option.
    >
    >My biggest concern was if the interface card would work for my 2TB WD green
    >drives that are 'Advanced Format' as most Seagate drives, while internally
    >AF, present to the computer as backward compatible. As the WDs were all full
    >it took me the better part of a day to empty one - just in case the
    >interface card destroyed the partition or something. I'd already tested with
    >older Seagate drives and it worked just fine. After emptying a WD HDD it
    >also worked well.
    >
    >So, not a bad deal really. A 2TB HDD much cheaper than you'd pay for it bare
    >but also not only the interface card but a USB3 cable (you'll be lucky to
    >pick one up for under $10) *and* a 12v / 1.5 amp SMPS plug-pack. (I find 12v
    >ones always handy.)
    >
    >So, I decided to test speeds. I have an add-in USB3 PCIe card in my desktop
    >so was plugging into a port on that. I copied the same 21GB folder each time
    >from the fixed HDD to the empty 2TB WD Green drive to get an idea of how
    >fast it was. Here's the results:
    >
    >Using Seagate USB3 interface card:
    >
    > 5:15 averaging 63.5MB/sec
    >
    >Using a WD USB2 interface card:
    >
    > 10:55 averaging 29.5MB/sec
    >
    >Just for the heck of it I tried the WD USB2 plugged into a (ICH9) USB2
    >motherboard port:
    >
    > 15:50 averaging 22.0MB/sec!
    >
    >So not only was using the USB3 interface card a big improvement but using a
    >USB2 device in a USB3 port was quite a bit faster (something I'd read
    >elsewhere but hadn't tested - cutting a third off the time is pretty damn
    >convincing - I know which ports I'll be plugging into!).

    That's something else I wasn't aware of, it's good to know.

    USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
    the Thinkpad.

    >Anyway, just FYI in case anyone wanted to know how it went after my
    >questions. ;-)

    Thanks for the followup. It's always interesting to know how these
    things work out.

    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2013
  12. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:46:24 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:39:54 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

    >>>I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go :(

    >> Good to know, but - bugger...

    >I have a good paperweight now though :)

    If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet :)

    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2013
  13. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:54:18 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:46:24 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >>> Good to know, but - bugger...

    >>I have a good paperweight now though :)

    > If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet :)

    For sure, I have a cluster of hard drive magnets.
    I cover them with heatshrink for fridge use though.

    Bret, Aug 28, 2013
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    [big snip]
    > USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
    > the Thinkpad.

    Ok, another FYI then. ;-)

    I bought this one from DX:
    http://dx.com/p/pcmcia-usb3-0-card-for-laptop-93716

    It works OK (for the most part) but it sticks out a bit and is annoying. I
    just thought it was bad Chinese design. Then I read:

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110163

    In the first post dr_st points out that the T60 Expresscard slot is a few mm
    shallower than standard and that an AKE 54mm Expresscard - which is also a
    bit short - sits perfectly flush in the T60. That card can be got for only
    ~$1.50 more than the one I got here:

    http://dx.com/p/ake-54mm-express-card-to-2-port-usb-3-0-card-adapter-for-laptop-notebook-113152

    I wish I'd got that one now. I figured I'd save a dollar or two and I
    wouldn't need two USB 3 ports. Now I'll order one when I get a few dollars
    spare. Having the card stick out - albeit by only a couple mm - annoys me.
    ;-)

    > Thanks for the followup. It's always interesting to know how these
    > things work out.

    You're more than welcome.

    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2013
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    > [big snip]
    >> USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
    >> the Thinkpad.

    > Ok, another FYI then. ;-)
    >
    > I bought this one from DX:
    > http://dx.com/p/pcmcia-usb3-0-card-for-laptop-93716
    >
    > It works OK (for the most part) but it sticks out a bit and is
    > annoying. I just thought it was bad Chinese design. Then I read:
    >
    > http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110163
    >
    > In the first post dr_st points out that the T60 Expresscard slot is a
    > few mm shallower than standard and that an AKE 54mm Expresscard -
    > which is also a bit short - sits perfectly flush in the T60. That
    > card can be got for only ~$1.50 more than the one I got here:
    >
    > http://dx.com/p/ake-54mm-express-card-to-2-port-usb-3-0-card-adapter-for-laptop-notebook-113152
    >
    > I wish I'd got that one now. I figured I'd save a dollar or two and I
    > wouldn't need two USB 3 ports. Now I'll order one when I get a few
    > dollars spare. Having the card stick out - albeit by only a couple mm
    > - annoys me. ;-)

    Ray, it would pay to read that forum post right through. It seems there
    might be an issue with the controller in the AKE card and the Gen. 1 PCIe
    used in the T60 meaning you have to remove and re-insert it to get full
    speed. (Something to do with ASPM power management slowing it down after a
    while?)

    I have question in to the OP in that thread about it, just to double-check.
    The card I have (the first link to DX above) has a Fresco Logic FL1000
    controller.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Aug 29, 2013
  16. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:27:35 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    >> [big snip]
    >>> USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
    >>> the Thinkpad.

    >> Ok, another FYI then. ;-)
    >>
    >> I bought this one from DX:
    >> http://dx.com/p/pcmcia-usb3-0-card-for-laptop-93716
    >>
    >> It works OK (for the most part) but it sticks out a bit and is
    >> annoying. I just thought it was bad Chinese design. Then I read:
    >>
    >> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110163
    >>
    >> In the first post dr_st points out that the T60 Expresscard slot is a
    >> few mm shallower than standard and that an AKE 54mm Expresscard -
    >> which is also a bit short - sits perfectly flush in the T60. That
    >> card can be got for only ~$1.50 more than the one I got here:
    >>
    >> http://dx.com/p/ake-54mm-express-card-to-2-port-usb-3-0-card-adapter-for-laptop-notebook-113152
    >>
    >> I wish I'd got that one now. I figured I'd save a dollar or two and I
    >> wouldn't need two USB 3 ports. Now I'll order one when I get a few
    >> dollars spare. Having the card stick out - albeit by only a couple mm
    >> - annoys me. ;-)

    >Ray, it would pay to read that forum post right through. It seems there
    >might be an issue with the controller in the AKE card and the Gen. 1 PCIe
    >used in the T60 meaning you have to remove and re-insert it to get full
    >speed. (Something to do with ASPM power management slowing it down after a
    >while?)
    >
    >I have question in to the OP in that thread about it, just to double-check.
    >The card I have (the first link to DX above) has a Fresco Logic FL1000
    >controller.

    OK thanks for the helpful info, I'll read that a couple more times
    before I whip out the credit card. I think I'll need to read up on
    pciutils too. The AKE card looks good if that power issue could be
    solved.

    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2013
  17. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:23:23 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:54:18 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

    >>>I have a good paperweight now though :)

    >> If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet :)

    >For sure, I have a cluster of hard drive magnets.
    >I cover them with heatshrink for fridge use though.

    I never thought of that! I'm going to try it at work tomorrow.

    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2013
  18. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:18:32 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:23:23 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >>> If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet :)

    >>For sure, I have a cluster of hard drive magnets.
    >>I cover them with heatshrink for fridge use though.

    > I never thought of that! I'm going to try it at work tomorrow.

    Use the thinnest shrink you have as they lose a bit of grip.

    Bret, Aug 29, 2013
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    [snip]
    > OK thanks for the helpful info, I'll read that a couple more times
    > before I whip out the credit card. I think I'll need to read up on
    > pciutils too. The AKE card looks good if that power issue could be
    > solved.

    Cool. Let me know if you manage to sort the power issue out. That's a bit
    beyond me and I need to use most of my 'low pain' time to sort out essential
    things about the house etc. so would rather not have to learn it from
    scratch. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Aug 30, 2013
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
    [snip]
    > OK thanks for the helpful info, I'll read that a couple more times
    > before I whip out the credit card. I think I'll need to read up on
    > pciutils too. The AKE card looks good if that power issue could be
    > solved.

    The latest from the OP in that thread (in another thread):

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopi...d3067fe13250a3524bc15777ffaa&p=716126#p716126

    Or:

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=105968

    (The last few posts.)