I Wonder Why They Call It Dimdows...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2011.

  1. <http://www.planitagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/too_many_toolbars.jpg>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2011

  2. On Jan 24, 11:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://www.planitagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/too_many_toolb...>

    so other Ooperating Systems don't support 3rd party toolbars being
    installed?

    Stink

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Jan 24, 11:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://www.planitagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/too_many_toolb...>

    They do? Why's that?

    Simon, Jan 24, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 25/01/11 07:39, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 11:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> <http://www.planitagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/too_many_toolb...>

    > so other Ooperating Systems don't support 3rd party toolbars being
    > installed?

    It depends more on the browser than on the OS. I use Firefox and I've
    got a couple of plugins that I use that have toolbars. I could
    theoretically fill up the browser window as in that example.

    On Windows what annoys me are the third party programs that come with
    their own toolbars or someone else's toolbar that they try to get you to
    install. Quite often the toolbar is installed if you fail to check off
    some easily missed checkbox, and it is then hard to get rid of.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Jan 24, 2011
  5. On Jan 25, 9:34 am, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 25/01/11 07:39, Nathan Mercer wrote:> On Jan 24, 11:29 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand>  wrote:
    > >> <http://www.planitagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/too_many_toolb....>

    > > so other Ooperating Systems don't support 3rd party toolbars being
    > > installed?

    > It depends more on the browser than on the OS. I use Firefox and I've
    > got a couple of plugins that I use that have toolbars. I could
    > theoretically fill up the browser window as in that example.
    >
    > On Windows what annoys me are the third party programs that come with
    > their own toolbars or someone else's toolbar that they try to get you to
    > install. Quite often the toolbar is installed if you fail to check off
    > some easily missed checkbox, and it is then hard to get rid of.

    Its not really Windows fault that it is so popular that so many people
    use it, that so many people develop addins for browsers that run on it
    etc

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 25/01/11 09:41, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > On Jan 25, 9:34 am, Enkidu<> wrote:

    >>> so other Ooperating Systems don't support 3rd party toolbars being
    >>> installed?

    >> It depends more on the browser than on the OS. I use Firefox and I've
    >> got a couple of plugins that I use that have toolbars. I could
    >> theoretically fill up the browser window as in that example.
    >>
    >> On Windows what annoys me are the third party programs that come with
    >> their own toolbars or someone else's toolbar that they try to get you to
    >> install. Quite often the toolbar is installed if you fail to check off
    >> some easily missed checkbox, and it is then hard to get rid of.

    > Its not really Windows fault that it is so popular that so many people
    > use it, that so many people develop addins for browsers that run on it
    > etc

    Nathan, I said "On Windows ... etc, etc". I wasn't picking on Windows
    but on the third parties. I used to be a Windows MVP before I moved to
    supporting Linux... And the 'problem' does exist because Windows is
    'popular', but as you say that's not Windows fault.

    Enkidu, Jan 25, 2011