I wonder Who This is about 8-)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. "- The local spam problem

    The US is home to the vast majority of spammers we’re told, but does
    that mean all email dreck comes from there? No, and it certainly doesn’t
    mean New Zealanders aren’t in on the spam game, unfortunately.

    IDG staffers’ inboxes were hit by a local outfit shilling computers and
    related bits and pieces over the holidays. The spammer isn’t just any
    old hopeful, but someone connected to spectacular, million-dollar PC
    retailer failures in the late nineties.

    The interesting thing is that a quick bit of research shows the spammer
    in question has been going since 2002 at least. Not much cloaking going
    on either — the same ISP, and flogging goods from the same supplier over
    the years, despite spam complaints from internet users.

    If that doesn’t show antispam legislation is way overdue, I don’t know
    what does. I spoke to the spammer who was generally rude and
    unsympathetic to my objections at being spammed and refused to say how
    my and others email address had ended up in their database which had
    been “marketed to” for the past two years. As long as there’s an
    unsubscribe facility, it wasn’t spam said the spammer. Yeah, right.

    The new antispam legislation is about a month away from being
    introduced, but it’ll come too late to catch the spammer — and the ISPs
    and suppliers that have been supporting the spammer over the years. It
    really is a shame that we have to put into law common sense and ethics
    just because people are blinded by greed."
    http://idg.net.nz/cw.nsf/UNID/9D92CFEE89ECB763CC256F8F006DF4B4?OpenDocument&Type=Column&More=FryUp

    Big mistake spamming the media even if it is only IDG

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
    Geniuses remove it

    Collector»NZ, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    > http://idg.net.nz/cw.nsf/UNID/9D92CFEE89ECB763CC256F8F006DF4B4?OpenDocument&Type=Column&More=FryUp
    >
    > Big mistake spamming the media even if it is only IDG

    Let me guess. It's probably the same dumb **** who spammed all of Telecom's
    employees a couple of years ago. That'll be why he's being hosted by
    TelstraClear now (or not, according to the article).

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Mr Scebe said the following on 28/01/2005 12:08 a.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>http://idg.net.nz/cw.nsf/UNID/9D92CFEE89ECB763CC256F8F006DF4B4?OpenDocument&Type=Column&More=FryUp
    >>
    >>Big mistake spamming the media even if it is only IDG

    > Let me guess. It's probably the same dumb **** who spammed all of Telecom's
    > employees a couple of years ago. That'll be why he's being hosted by
    > TelstraClear now (or not, according to the article).

    I suspect it might be Colin Brown and Son

    Collector»NZ, Jan 27, 2005
  4. "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Mr Scebe said the following on 28/01/2005 12:08 a.m.:
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>http://idg.net.nz/cw.nsf/UNID/9D92CFEE89ECB763CC256F8F006DF4B4?OpenDocument&Type=Column&More=FryUp
    >>>
    >>>Big mistake spamming the media even if it is only IDG

    >> Let me guess. It's probably the same dumb **** who spammed all of
    >> Telecom's employees a couple of years ago. That'll be why he's being
    >> hosted by TelstraClear now (or not, according to the article).
    >>

    > I suspect it might be Colin Brown and Son
    >
    > --
    > >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    > | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    > "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    > Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
    > Geniuses remove it

    Bad guess

    Brett Roberts, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    >> I suspect it might be Colin Brown and Son

    <snip>

    > Bad guess

    I suspect that young Collector doesn't read all of Computerworld, otherwise
    he might have come across this article and put two and two together.
    http://idg.net.nz/news.nsf/UNID/0F6...1FED88?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,brands,direct

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Collector»NZ

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:50:18 +1300, "Mr Scebe" <>
    wrote:

    >"Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    >>> I suspect it might be Colin Brown and Son
    >>>

    ><snip>
    >>
    >> Bad guess

    >I suspect that young Collector doesn't read all of Computerworld, otherwise
    >he might have come across this article and put two and two together.
    >http://idg.net.nz/news.nsf/UNID/0F6...1FED88?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,brands,direct

    Is that bastard still around! Good to see IDG being nicely cynical
    there, they obviously haven't forgotten what went on with Cost Club &
    Best Buy

    This stinks! That Mahoney caused a lot of grief with the Cost Club &
    Best Buy rorts, and here he is still allowed to take peoples' money up
    front. That is exactly the same situation that occured previously,
    people paid up front for gear that wasn't actually in stock. When the
    businesses went belly up the poor saps with purchases outstanding
    ended up as unsecured creditors & got zippo. Mahoney himself, on the
    other hand, was said to be a secured creditor of his own company so he
    got many of the the assets of Cost Club. Wonder if it's the same old
    story here, wouldn't be a surprise to find the major debenture holder
    of brandsdirect assets is one Mark Mahoney or associate thereof.

    I see that Brandsdirect don't advertise a street address on either
    their website or their domain registration, just PO boxes both of
    which are different. Odd too that the phone number is on the North
    Shore yet the fax is on the other side. Big red flag that, IMO one
    should never deal with a direct marketer who doesn't give a physical
    address....it's just too easy for them to close up & disappear taking
    your dosh with them.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Jan 28, 2005
  7. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    Mr Scebe wrote:

    > I suspect that young Collector

    He'll like that - I'd put money on him being older then you Scebe :)

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 29, 2005
  8. EMB said the following on 29/01/2005 10:16 p.m.:
    > Mr Scebe wrote:
    >
    >> I suspect that young Collector

    > He'll like that - I'd put money on him being older then you Scebe :)

    Gosh Gee guys, i am just a youngster at heart, but EMB is probably right

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 29, 2005
  9. Collector»NZ

    > EMB said the following on 29/01/2005 10:16 p.m.:
    >> Mr Scebe wrote:
    >>
    >>> I suspect that young Collector

    >> He'll like that - I'd put money on him being older then you Scebe :)
    >>

    > Gosh Gee guys, i am just a youngster at heart, but EMB is probably right

    I'm not sure - give us a decade!

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jan 30, 2005
  10. Mr Scebe said the following on 30/01/2005 9:06 p.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>EMB said the following on 29/01/2005 10:16 p.m.:

    >>>He'll like that - I'd put money on him being older then you Scebe :)
    >>>

    >>Gosh Gee guys, i am just a youngster at heart, but EMB is probably right

    > I'm not sure - give us a decade!

    1950's

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 30, 2005
  11. Collector»NZ

    > 1950's

    I bow before your vernerable self. I will not call you "young Collector"
    again.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Jan 30, 2005
  12. Mr Scebe said the following on 31/01/2005 12:07 a.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>1950's

    > I bow before your vernerable self. I will not call you "young Collector"
    > again.

    Sir will do just fine :cool:

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 30, 2005
  13. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Mr Scebe said the following on 30/01/2005 9:06 p.m.:
    >
    >> "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    >>> Gosh Gee guys, i am just a youngster at heart, but EMB is probably right

    >> I'm not sure - give us a decade!
    >>

    > 1950's

    Ah, a mere sprout then.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 30, 2005
  14. Enkidu wrote:
    >> 1950's

    > Ah, a mere sprout then.

    Im only just a 1070 boy myself... looks like Im a mere seed if he's a
    sprout.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 30, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> 1950's

    >> Ah, a mere sprout then.

    > Im only just a 1070 boy myself... looks like Im a mere seed if he's a
    > sprout.

    of course by "1070 boy" I meant "1970s boy"

    slip of the keyboard.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 30, 2005