I Wonder When We’ll See This In NZ ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 5, 2011.

  1. <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>

    No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 5, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    On 5/06/2011 6:50 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    the intarwebs:
    > <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>
    >
    > No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.

    If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
    go by, be glad about it. Much of the hardware didn't function
    correctly, wireless & touchpad being the most critical. After wasting a
    good 4 or five hours trying to get the wireless functioning correctly I
    gave up and went back to 10.04LTS, which at least enabled me to connect
    to some wireless networks.

    Squiggle, Jun 5, 2011

  3. In message <isfq4f$pah$>, Squiggle wrote:

    > On 5/06/2011 6:50 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > the intarwebs:
    >
    >> <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>
    >>
    >> No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.

    > If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
    > go by ...

    Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 5, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    On 6/06/2011 12:52 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    the intarwebs:
    > In message <isfq4f$pah$>, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/06/2011 6:50 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    >> the intarwebs:
    >>
    >>> <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ASUS-to-offer-Ubuntu-powered-Eee-PC-netbooks-1254999.html>
    >>>
    >>> No sign of any such options on asus.co.nz as yet.

    >> If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
    >> go by ...

    > Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.

    That had the same problems for me... hence why I ended up going back
    all the way to 10.04.

    Squiggle, Jun 5, 2011
  5. In message <isgp70$uhp$>, Squiggle wrote:

    > On 6/06/2011 12:52 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > the intarwebs:
    >
    >> In message <isfq4f$pah$>, Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >>> If the ubuntu 11.04s performance on my 2yo Eee netbook is anything to
    >>> go by ...

    >> Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.

    > That had the same problems for me... hence why I ended up going back
    > all the way to 10.04.

    What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    the intarwebs:
    > In message <isgp70$uhp$>, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/06/2011 12:52 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    >> the intarwebs:

    >>> Apparently they’ll be putting on 10.10.

    >> That had the same problems for me... hence why I ended up going back
    >> all the way to 10.04.

    > What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?

    Hardware support, primarily wireless. The touchpad etc I could
    probably have sorted out once I internet access, but without being able
    to access the network it was kind of pointless.

    Squiggle, Jun 6, 2011
  7. In message <ish7mm$kft$>, Squiggle wrote:

    > On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > the intarwebs:
    >
    >> What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?

    > Hardware support, primarily wireless.

    Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
    chipsets should be built into the kernel.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2011
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Re: I Wonder When We’ll See This In NZ ...

    On Jun 6, 1:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <ish7mm$>, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    > > On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > > the intarwebs:

    > >> What sort of problems? Was it just the GUI?

    > > Hardware support, primarily wireless.

    > Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
    > chipsets should be built into the kernel.

    RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

    Squiggle, Jun 6, 2011
  9. In message
    <>,
    Squiggle wrote:

    > On Jun 6, 1:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <ish7mm$>, Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >> > On 6/06/2011 11:18 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    >> > the intarwebs:

    >>> Hardware support, primarily wireless.

    >> Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
    >> chipsets should be built into the kernel.

    > RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

    Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:

    1814 Ralink corp.
    0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
    0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
    0781 RT2860
    3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
    3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
    3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
    (etc)

    Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
    running?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2011
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    the intarwebs:
    > In message
    > <>,
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 6, 1:34 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Do you know what sort of chipset you have? Support for most wireless
    >>> chipsets should be built into the kernel.

    >> RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

    > Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:
    >
    > 1814 Ralink corp.
    > 0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
    > 0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
    > 0781 RT2860
    > 3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
    > 3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
    > 3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
    > (etc)
    >
    > Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
    > running?

    Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04. It was detected and a kernel driver
    appeared to have loaded, it just didn't function in any usable manner.
    After much pissing about it got to the point where it detected the
    network and tried to connect, only it took forever, then immediately
    disconnected (not a signal strength problem, the cisco AP was <2m
    away). This was a major improvement from the initial condition of a hard
    lockup whenever the wifi interface was enabled, but still about as
    useful as tits on a bull.

    Even with 10.04LTS I couldn't get a connection to any WPA2 networks it
    tried to connect to, but it connected fine on non-encrypted networks.

    Squiggle, Jun 6, 2011
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    On 7/06/2011 12:48 a.m., Squiggle threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > the intarwebs:
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> Squiggle wrote:

    >>> RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

    >> Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:
    >>
    >> 1814 Ralink corp.
    >> 0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
    >> 0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
    >> 0781 RT2860
    >> 3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
    >> 3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
    >> 3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
    >> (etc)
    >>
    >> Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
    >> running?
    >>

    > Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04. It was detected and a kernel driver
    > appeared to have loaded, it just didn't function in any usable manner.
    > After much pissing about it got to the point where it detected the
    > network and tried to connect, only it took forever, then immediately
    > disconnected (not a signal strength problem, the cisco AP was <2m
    > away). This was a major improvement from the initial condition of a hard
    > lockup whenever the wifi interface was enabled, but still about as
    > useful as tits on a bull.
    >
    > Even with 10.04LTS I couldn't get a connection to any WPA2 networks it
    > tried to connect to, but it connected fine on non-encrypted networks.

    PS, Don't bother wasting time trying to find an answer, the netbook is
    now XP ony, and if i need Linux for anything i'll just virtualbox it.

    --
    The nz.general stupidest statement of 2011 competition leading candidate:
    The USA is no more democratic than is the Peoples Democratic Republic of

    Squiggle, Jun 6, 2011
  12. In message <isiibt$bf4$>, Squiggle wrote:

    > On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > the intarwebs:
    >
    >> What kernel are you running?

    > Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04.

    uname -r will tell you, if not some “system info†GUI display.

    > It was detected and a kernel driver appeared to have loaded, it just
    > didn't function in any usable manner.

    There are lower-level tools you can use to check the functioning of the
    hardware, like the “iw†(or maybe “iwlistâ€) command. That would help to
    narrow down where the problem is arising.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2011
  13. In message <isiisa$bf4$>, Squiggle wrote:

    > ... the netbook is now XP ony ...

    Good luck sticking with that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2011
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: I Wonder When We?ll See This In NZ ...

    In article <isiibt$bf4$>, , Squiggle
    says...

    > On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > the intarwebs:
    > > In message
    > > <>,
    > > Squiggle wrote:

    > >> RTA3090 IIRC, uses the same driver as the rta2860 i beleive.

    > > Ralink RT2860, RT3090 etc. From /usr/share/misc/pci.ids:
    > >
    > > 1814 Ralink corp.
    > > 0681 RT2860 Wireless 802.11n PCIe
    > > 0701 RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
    > > 0781 RT2860
    > > 3090 RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
    > > 3091 RT3091 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe
    > > 3092 RT3092 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R PCIe
    > > (etc)
    > >
    > > Also mentioned in my 2.6.38 kernel (Debian Unstable). What kernel are you
    > > running?
    > >

    > Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04. It was detected and a kernel driver
    > appeared to have loaded, it just didn't function in any usable manner.
    > After much pissing about it got to the point where it detected the
    > network and tried to connect, only it took forever, then immediately
    > disconnected (not a signal strength problem, the cisco AP was <2m
    > away). This was a major improvement from the initial condition of a hard
    > lockup whenever the wifi interface was enabled, but still about as
    > useful as tits on a bull.
    >
    > Even with 10.04LTS I couldn't get a connection to any WPA2 networks it
    > tried to connect to, but it connected fine on non-encrypted networks.

    Many reviews on the 11.04 release indicate it's a very poor release.

    My experience - I updated to it and it left me with an unbootable
    machine. Not having the experience to deal with grub problems, I ended
    up installing a new distro - see what it's like sorta thing - and
    installed Linux Mint. It's Ubuntu or Debian based, depending on what you
    decide to download and install. I went with the 'default' distro
    (Ubunutu) based) and put the XFCE desktop on afterwards.

    Recently, I have noted on their forums that the new Mint update (based
    on Ubuntu 11.04) has also been very poorly received - so I won't be
    updating to that.

    Linux Mint is really nice if you are coming from Windows. Regardless, I
    find the Gnome and KDE desktops to be very poor, particularly
    performance wise.

    Linux is a good server OS for many server based functions. I think it
    has a long long way to go before it makes a good desktop PC. It's still
    in nerd land and will be for some time. One only has to do an update,
    or run many of its limited applications to find stupid esoteric
    messages that an average desktop user both won't understand and doesn't
    want to see.

    I use my Linux box to mount up Windows HDD's' for data recovery and
    disinfection and the like. The other day I ran up Avast for Linux and
    noted in the error message that (other than the fact it doesn't even run
    "out of the box") "An error occured in avast! engine: Invalid argument".
    Other than it's yet another esoteric message that would horrify your
    grandmother, they can't even fukn spell!

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jun 7, 2011
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    On Jun 7, 11:57 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <isiibt$>, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    > > On 6/06/2011 10:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down
    > > the intarwebs:

    > >> What kernel are you running?

    > > Whatever came with Ubuntu 11.04.

    > uname -r will tell you, if not some “system info” GUI display.

    As I said, i gave up and blew it away, too much time wasted on it
    already, and the temporary need for linux to write code in an obscure
    and frustrating language on is gone.

    > > It was detected and a kernel driver appeared to have loaded, it just
    > > didn't function in any usable manner.

    > There are lower-level tools you can use to check the functioning of the
    > hardware, like the “iw” (or maybe “iwlist”) command. That would help to
    > narrow down where the problem is arising.

    Crappy linux kernel drivers and the loading/conflicts thereoff. I'll
    leave tracking that down to people who are paid to care, or actually
    enjoy doing that crap.

    Squiggle, Jun 7, 2011
  16. In message
    <>,
    Squiggle wrote:

    > On Jun 7, 11:57 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <isiibt$>, Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >>> It was detected and a kernel driver appeared to have loaded, it just
    >>> didn't function in any usable manner.

    >> There are lower-level tools you can use to check the functioning of the
    >> hardware, like the “iw†(or maybe “iwlistâ€) command. That would help to
    >> narrow down where the problem is arising.

    > Crappy linux kernel drivers and the loading/conflicts thereoff.

    Linux kernel drivers by definition do not conflict. They’re part of the
    kernel source tree, remember, so they’re maintained as part of common
    updates.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2011