I wonder if XP SP2 can prevent this kind of behaviour...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by K T T, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. K T T

    K T T Guest

    K T T, Sep 15, 2004

  2. The Black Wibble, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > K T T wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.doxdesk.com/personal/posts/bugtraq/20030713-ie/activex.html
    >> linked from this article
    >> http://bmonday.com/articles/496.aspx
    >> "IE Chromeless Windows Vulnerability"

    > It seems to... "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer stopped
    > this site from installing an Active X control on your computer. Click
    > here for options"
    >
    > what was it meant to do?

    If you enable Active X you get a popup saying "Windows has blocked this
    software because it cannot verify the publisher" "name vuln.exe"
    "publisher unknown"

    and it still wont run it.

    Im tempted to turn off all the security on the VMware machine and see
    what it does.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Im tempted to turn off all the security on the VMware machine and see
    > what it does.

    Just to see what it does, I have added it to my "Trusted sites" list, as
    I figure you can't get much more stupid than that.

    and well... IE pops up and says "The Publisher could not be verified.
    Are you sure you want to install the software?"
    "Name: Vuln.exe"
    Publisher: unknown publisher"
    "install/dont install" options.

    Dont install doesnt install it of course.
    Install gives a dos screen like this.

    Hello, I am arbitrary code.
    I could have wiped your files by now.

    (any key)

    no lines though.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2004
  6. K T T

    richard Guest

    richard, Sep 15, 2004
  7. K T T

    K T T Guest

    The Black Wibble wrote:
    > "K T T" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.doxdesk.com/personal/posts/bugtraq/20030713-ie/activex.html

    > It does. This message appears in IE: " To help your security, Explorer
    > stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control on your computer.
    > Click the options..."
    >
    > Tony.

    When I moved the window around I could see that the programmer had
    masked the true warning message with one of his own.

    If you click the yes button some code is executed on the computer that
    could do some real damage, although on this site it's a test to reveal
    windows non-security. Scary stuff.
    K T T, Sep 15, 2004
  8. K T T

    Max Burke Guest

    > K T T scribbled:

    > The Black Wibble wrote:
    >> "K T T" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.doxdesk.com/personal/posts/bugtraq/20030713-ie/activex.html

    >> It does. This message appears in IE: " To help your security,
    >> Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control on
    >> your computer. Click the options..."
    >>
    >> Tony.

    > When I moved the window around I could see that the programmer had
    > masked the true warning message with one of his own.

    Not i my XP Prof SP2 system he didn't.

    > If you click the yes button some code is executed on the computer that
    > could do some real damage, although on this site it's a test to reveal
    > windows non-security. Scary stuff.

    I dont even get a 'yes' option. It's completely blocked by default; it
    *REQUIRES* me/the user sitting in front of the computer to manually change
    the default XP SP2 Active X settings to allow that (or any) web page to run
    ANY Active X controls on the local machine.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Sep 15, 2004
  9. K T T

    K T T Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> K T T scribbled:

    >> The Black Wibble wrote:
    >>
    >>> "K T T" <> wrote in message

    >>> It does. This message appears in IE: " To help your security,
    >>> Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control on
    >>> your computer. Click the options..."
    >>>
    >>> Tony.

    >> When I moved the window around I could see that the programmer had
    >> masked the true warning message with one of his own.

    > Not i my XP Prof SP2 system he didn't.
    >
    >> If you click the yes button some code is executed on the computer that
    >> could do some real damage, although on this site it's a test to reveal
    >> windows non-security. Scary stuff.

    > I dont even get a 'yes' option. It's completely blocked by default; it
    > *REQUIRES* me/the user sitting in front of the computer to manually
    > change the default XP SP2 Active X settings to allow that (or any) web
    > page to run ANY Active X controls on the local machine.

    Well it took a few years, but looks like MS finally fixed it with SP2.
    K T T, Sep 15, 2004