    issues.

    Do you think Murdoch will demand he take it down, under some theory of
    Intellectual Property infringement?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:32:54 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > A programmer has put up a website that links to publicly-viewable copies
    > of articles included in each edition of Rupert Murdoch’s “The Dailyâ€
    > Ipad app
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/new-site-indexes-the-daily-why-pay-for-a-

    subscription/44453>.
    > He even goes further than the Ipad app, by providing indexes to previous
    > issues.
    >
    > Do you think Murdoch will demand he take it down, under some theory of
    > Intellectual Property infringement?

    Nope. In what way is it infringing? The index is an entirely new created
    work that refers to the contents of that other site.

    The only problem is... what would happen to that index if that other site
    reorganize itself and thereby render all those links invalid?

    Boots, Feb 8, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    On 8/02/2011 10:28 p.m., Boots wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:32:54 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> A programmer has put up a website that links to publicly-viewable copies
    >> of articles included in each edition of Rupert Murdoch’s “The Dailyâ€
    >> Ipad app
    >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/new-site-indexes-the-daily-why-pay-for-a-

    > subscription/44453>.
    >> He even goes further than the Ipad app, by providing indexes to previous
    >> issues.
    >>
    >> Do you think Murdoch will demand he take it down, under some theory of
    >> Intellectual Property infringement?

    > Nope. In what way is it infringing? The index is an entirely new created
    > work that refers to the contents of that other site.
    >
    > The only problem is... what would happen to that index if that other site
    > reorganize itself and thereby render all those links invalid?

    Then it falls to pieces as a marketing exercise. The murdoch/ipad news
    is supposed to be so compelling, and ipad users so enthusiatic, that
    they send links to news items to their friends who don't have ipads, who
    click the links, and are presented with murdoch news, accompanied by
    large advertisements telling them how much cooler the whole experience
    would be on an ipad.
    If they click the links and they all 404, those potential i-thing
    customers will start to think their i-friends are i-diots.

    Me, Feb 8, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 00:01:58 +1300, Me wrote:

    > On 8/02/2011 10:28 p.m., Boots wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:32:54 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> A programmer has put up a website that links to publicly-viewable
    >>> copies of articles included in each edition of Rupert Murdoch’s “The
    >>> Daily†Ipad app
    >>> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/new-site-indexes-the-daily-why-pay-for-

    a-
    >> subscription/44453>.
    >>> He even goes further than the Ipad app, by providing indexes to
    >>> previous issues.
    >>>
    >>> Do you think Murdoch will demand he take it down, under some theory of
    >>> Intellectual Property infringement?

    >> Nope. In what way is it infringing? The index is an entirely new
    >> created work that refers to the contents of that other site.
    >>
    >> The only problem is... what would happen to that index if that other
    >> site reorganize itself and thereby render all those links invalid?
    >>

    > Then it falls to pieces as a marketing exercise. The murdoch/ipad news
    > is supposed to be so compelling, and ipad users so enthusiatic, that
    > they send links to news items to their friends who don't have ipads, who
    > click the links, and are presented with murdoch news, accompanied by
    > large advertisements telling them how much cooler the whole experience
    > would be on an ipad.
    > If they click the links and they all 404, those potential i-thing
    > customers will start to think their i-friends are i-diots.

    Well Larry only referred to a site with an index linking to the contents
    of another site. He didn't mention anything about users sending links to
    other people.

    I would say why on earth would they want to use a second hand resource?

    Boots, Feb 8, 2011