    a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.

    NT 4 is just about 10 years old now, isn't it? Can you still get any kind of
    support from Microsoft for that? Just wondering...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2006

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:59:15 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    > the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    > a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.
    >
    > NT 4 is just about 10 years old now, isn't it? Can you still get any kind of
    > support from Microsoft for that? Just wondering...

    The NationalBank/ANZ may still be running some of its infrastructure on
    the NT equivalent of WIN95, but it has state-of-the-art VOIP.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Sep 21, 2006

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 21/09/06 7.59 p:
    > NT 4 is just about 10 years old now, isn't it? Can you still get any kind of
    > support from Microsoft for that? Just wondering...

    $20k/yr will get you support for almost anything.

    Did you also notice how the National Bank has a nice paper-trail for any
    transaction you do there?

    -Phil
    Phil, Sep 21, 2006
  4. MaHogany wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:59:15 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    >> the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    >> a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.
    >>
    >> NT 4 is just about 10 years old now, isn't it? Can you still get any kind of
    >> support from Microsoft for that? Just wondering...

    > The NationalBank/ANZ may still be running some of its infrastructure on
    > the NT equivalent of WIN95, but it has state-of-the-art VOIP.

    I don't see how you can use NT, Windows 95, and 'equivalent' in the same
    sentence. Alike in GUI perhaps, but NT4 beats Windows 95 and all
    subsequent releases based on it.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Sep 21, 2006
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:06:45 +1200, Phil wrote:

    > Did you also notice how the National Bank has a nice paper-trail for any
    > transaction you do there?

    All the 4... err... 3 trading banks have paper trails, and do not have a
    real-time banking system.

    The banking system used by the trading banks has not changed substantially
    since their computer system was originally set up.

    They've added more information available, but the ledger balance does not
    increase when a cash deposit is made at the counter. That change is made
    overnight.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Sep 21, 2006
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 06:52:47 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    >> The NationalBank/ANZ may still be running some of its infrastructure on
    >> the NT equivalent of WIN95, but it has state-of-the-art VOIP.

    > I don't see how you can use NT, Windows 95, and 'equivalent' in the same
    > sentence. Alike in GUI perhaps, but NT4 beats Windows 95 and all
    > subsequent releases based on it.

    Why are you defending M$ shite?

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Sep 21, 2006
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    MaHogany wrote:

    > They've added more information available, but the ledger balance does not
    > increase when a cash deposit is made at the counter. That change is made
    > overnight.

    I think you'll find that is wrong.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Sep 21, 2006
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jo Guest

    >I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    > the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    > a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.
    >
    > NT 4 is just about 10 years old now, isn't it? Can you still get any kind
    > of
    > support from Microsoft for that? Just wondering..

    If it works for the bank, why change to something potentially destructive?
    Banks are traditionally conservative when it comes to this.
    Jo, Sep 21, 2006
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 06:52:47 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:
    >
    >>> The NationalBank/ANZ may still be running some of its infrastructure on
    >>> the NT equivalent of WIN95, but it has state-of-the-art VOIP.

    >> I don't see how you can use NT, Windows 95, and 'equivalent' in the same
    >> sentence. Alike in GUI perhaps, but NT4 beats Windows 95 and all
    >> subsequent releases based on it.

    > Why are you defending M$ shite?

    Coz it obviously can't be that bad if it's still running daily in a
    banking environment can it?

    Oh wait... I just realised who's comment I was replying to. Figures.

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey
    Mark Remfrey, Sep 21, 2006
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    > the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    > a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.

    Yeah, they run NT Terminal Server (or whatever it was called back
    then).

    Who knows, maybe some of their legacy mainframe terminal apps didn't
    like W2K or later? But I doubt that network has any connection to the
    internet, so the latest IE patches probably aren't needed.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Sep 21, 2006
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Keith Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    >the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    >a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.

    Noticed on a Kiwibank terminal screen saver "WinCE". (on a desktop
    PC).???
    Keith, Sep 21, 2006
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Keith wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    >> the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    >> a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.

    > Noticed on a Kiwibank terminal screen saver "WinCE". (on a desktop
    > PC).???

    Not a desktop PC - most likely a Winterm (like a Compaq T1010 or Wyse
    3360) - they run WinCE but use RDP etc to connect to a server.
    -=rjh=-, Sep 22, 2006
  13. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Keith wrote:
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > >> I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    > >> the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    > >> a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.

    > > Noticed on a Kiwibank terminal screen saver "WinCE". (on a desktop
    > > PC).???

    > Not a desktop PC - most likely a Winterm (like a Compaq T1010 or Wyse
    > 3360) - they run WinCE but use RDP etc to connect to a server.

    FWIW CE can run on many platforms, including X86

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 22, 2006
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    > the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    > a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.
    >
    > NT 4 is just about 10 years old now, isn't it? Can you still get any kind of
    > support from Microsoft for that? Just wondering...

    Yes, there is support available for NT4 systems from Microsoft
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 22, 2006
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Philip Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > MaHogany wrote:
    >
    >> They've added more information available, but the ledger balance does not
    >> increase when a cash deposit is made at the counter. That change is made
    >> overnight.

    > I think you'll find that is wrong.

    If ledger balances are not instantly updated when cash is credited, how
    come I can pay money into the the Kerikeri branch of ASB or ANZ or
    National (I'm not a customer of any of them) and have it instantly
    available to the holders of the accounts I've paid into.

    How else could we buy stuff on TradeMe?

    Philip
    Philip, Sep 22, 2006
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jo Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message >>
    >> Noticed on a Kiwibank terminal screen saver "WinCE". (on a desktop
    >> PC).???

    such an apt term applying to kiwibank too, "WINCE"
    Jo, Sep 22, 2006
  17. On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:24:40 +1200, MaHogany <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 06:52:47 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:
    >
    >>> The NationalBank/ANZ may still be running some of its infrastructure on
    >>> the NT equivalent of WIN95, but it has state-of-the-art VOIP.

    >> I don't see how you can use NT, Windows 95, and 'equivalent' in the same
    >> sentence. Alike in GUI perhaps, but NT4 beats Windows 95 and all
    >> subsequent releases based on it.

    >Why are you defending M$ shite?

    Realy the only crappy part of Windows NT is the userland software and
    the Win32 subsystem. The windows NT kernel itself is of good design
    and is probabily quite stable.

    Microsoft Corporation hired Dave Cutler to design Windows NT in the
    late 80s. Cutler had already been a designer and developer on a number
    of operating systems during the time he worked for Digital Equipment
    Corporation in the 70s and 80s. These are RSX-11, VMS (Now HP OpenVMS)
    and VAXELN. Cutler brought a number of developers from Digital
    Equipment Corporation with him when he moved to Microsoft.

    For its age the Windows NT kernel is quite advanced and even now it
    probabily has some features that arent available in other operating
    system kernels.

    So, in conclusion, Windows NT isnt /that/ bad - not nearly as bad as
    Windows was. The thing that lets it down is that it is controled by an
    evil monopolistic company that has no interest in doing anything but
    the bare minimum in the way of maintenance and upgrades. As a result
    it lacks many things which would be quickly fixed were it open source
    such as the lack of a good console. I guess this is what the ReactOS
    project aims to do.

    However, on a side topic, Interix (Microsoft Services for UNIX as it
    is called now I believe) may be of interest to some - it adds a POSIX
    subsystem to Windows NT allowing it to compile and execute UNIX
    software. Cygwin does a similar thing but it isnt implemented as a
    subsystem and so it may get lower performance.
    David Goodwin, Sep 22, 2006
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:50:29 +0000, wrote:

    > For its age the Windows NT kernel is quite advanced and even now it
    > probabily has some features that arent available in other operating
    > system kernels.

    Namely the easily installation of viruses.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Sep 22, 2006
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:25:24 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Keith wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>> I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    >>> the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    >>> a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.

    >> Noticed on a Kiwibank terminal screen saver "WinCE". (on a desktop
    >> PC).???

    > Not a desktop PC - most likely a Winterm (like a Compaq T1010 or Wyse
    > 3360) - they run WinCE but use RDP etc to connect to a server.

    Kiwibank does use Wyse terminals.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Sep 22, 2006
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-09-21, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > I was in a National Bank branch earlier today, and I couldn't help noticing
    > the screen-saver display on one of their terminals was clearly showing
    > a "Windows NT Server 4.0" logo.

    > NT 4 is just about 10 years old now, isn't it?

    If not it's getting there.

    > Can you still get any kind of support from Microsoft for that?
    > Just wondering...

    IIRC support ended earlier this year. I think that means not even
    patches.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen