I wonder how many messages get posted on usenet, per second.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom McCafferty, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. I figure, the people at the help desk would know.

    Tom McCafferty, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Tom McCafferty

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Tom McCafferty

    philo Guest

    "Tom McCafferty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I figure, the people at the help desk would know.

    i have no idea really
    there are a lot of usenet groups...
    some quite active...others pretty dead

    i'll take a wild guess and say 150 / second (just to get things started)

    philo, Nov 22, 2003
  4. "Tom McCafferty" <> wrote in message
    > I figure, the people at the help desk would know.

    There used to be a tally kept at Remarq. It was around 750 000 messages a
    day in 2001, that's 500 a minute.

    Freddy The Ferret, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Tom McCafferty

    trout Guest

    philo wrote:

    > "Tom McCafferty" <> wrote in message
    >> I figure, the people at the help desk would know.
    >>

    > i have no idea really
    > there are a lot of usenet groups...
    > some quite active...others pretty dead
    >
    > i'll take a wild guess and say 150 / second (just to get things
    > started)

    That would barely cover the 'test' messages.
    --
    "Or 'How do I start a new newsgroup?'."

    trout, Nov 23, 2003
  6. "°Mike°" wrote:

    > If it's statistics you're after, take a look here:
    > http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/
    >
    > But don't expect to get "by the second" accounts!
    >
    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:08:55 GMT, in
    > <>
    > Tom McCafferty scrawled:
    >
    > >I figure, the people at the help desk would know.

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    I would figure, over a million messages have been posted, from, 3:08,
    the time this message was posted, and 3:22, the time marked, that you
    replyed.

    Tom McCafferty, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Tom McCafferty

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:15:44 GMT, in
    <>
    Tom McCafferty scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote:
    >
    >> If it's statistics you're after, take a look here:
    >> http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/
    >>
    >> But don't expect to get "by the second" accounts!

    <snip>

    >I would figure, over a million messages have been posted,
    >from, 3:08, the time this message was posted, and 3:22, the
    >time marked, that you replyed.

    How do you figure that?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Tom McCafferty wrote:

    > I figure, the people at the help desk would know.

    I can't give you that figure, but news server operators say that a FILTERED
    full newsfeed (that is, the spam and repetitious crap sliced out)
    approaches a terabyte a day. The vast majority of those are binary postings
    which are fairly large (on the order of 30K-50K each), so you can do a
    little math and come up with a highly imprecise figure from that. :)
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Tom McCafferty