I will NEVER buy another Dreamworks DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug Warner, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. Doug Warner

    Doug Warner Guest

    Just picked up Shrek2 tonight. Loaded the DVD, hit Play, went off to
    do some stuff and returned to the menu,

    Several locations locked up my player, such as when Shrek was tossed
    into the paddy wagon and the gingerbread man called for a rewind. To
    recover, I had to hit STOP, then MENU, then go back to the scene menu
    and pick the next one in sequence.

    Then, in the credits, it locked up solid, and I had to power cycle the
    player.

    THEN, I noticed that I could NOT skip over, or fast forward through
    the trailer for their new fish film! Absolutely ridiculous..

    Sorry, Dreamworks, but your non-skippable advertising has lost you a
    customer for all future DVD's and all future theater releases. Bye!

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    Doug Warner, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Doug Warner

    Big Gulp phl Guest

    It's non-skippable on YOUR crappy player, perhaps, but not on either of my
    three semi-decent ones. so there.

    Big Gulp phl, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Doug Warner wrote:
    > Sorry, Dreamworks, but your non-skippable advertising has lost you a
    > customer for all future DVD's and all future theater releases. Bye!

    I do agree, at least Disney gives you the choice to skip the ads.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Who is not holding his breath on Dreamworks answering why there
    was not a Widescreen release for the Shrek boxset....

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Doug Warner

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > It's non-skippable on YOUR crappy player, perhaps, but not on either of my
    > three semi-decent ones. so there.

    All that junk is skippale on my Panasonic, my old Apex, my
    RCA, my Magnavox and my little Cyberhome.

    Plays OK on all my computers also.

    No hangups, no sticky-spots no freeze ups.

    He must need a new player
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Doug Warner

    Pug Fugley Guest

    You have a crappy player. There's no excuse for that, new players that will
    work right can be had for $60. Quit your whining and go buy a good player.

    Pug Fugley, Nov 12, 2004
  6. >Several locations locked up my player, such as when Shrek was tossed
    >into the paddy wagon and the gingerbread man called for a rewind. To
    >recover, I had to hit STOP, then MENU, then go back to the scene menu

    Try exchanging the disc for a replacement copy. It could be defective.

    >THEN, I noticed that I could NOT skip over, or fast forward through
    >the trailer for their new fish film! Absolutely ridiculous..=20

    What I did in this case was stop playback and start playback again, which went
    right to the feature film.

    Player used at that time: Pioneer DVL-700

    >Sorry, Dreamworks, but your non-skippable advertising has lost you a
    >customer for all future DVD's and all future theater releases. Bye!

    I completely concur about unskippable advertisements. When I put in a DVD, I
    want to watch the movie, not stupid previews of movies I probably would never
    want to see ever mainly because of this force-fed advertising.

    Things that can catch people's attention are what's good. Things that annoy
    people tend to turn them off to whatever is being promoted. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Doug Warner wrote:

    > Sorry, Dreamworks, but your non-skippable advertising has lost you a
    > customer for all future DVD's and all future theater releases. Bye!

    Yeah. Right. Whatever. Empty threats.

    LVIII

    Lord Vader III, Nov 12, 2004
  8. > I completely concur about unskippable advertisements. When I put in a
    > DVD, I
    > want to watch the movie, not stupid previews of movies I probably would
    > never
    > want to see ever mainly because of this force-fed advertising.
    >
    > Things that can catch people's attention are what's good. Things that
    > annoy
    > people tend to turn them off to whatever is being promoted. - Reinhart

    Aren't you more likely to want to watch trailers, etc. when they are a
    separate menu item?

    Michael Walker, Nov 13, 2004
  9. >Aren't you more likely to want to watch trailers, etc. when they are a
    >separate menu item?

    I'd watch trailers when I'm at a movie theater (and I haven't been to one in
    almost two years).

    I bought a DVD for being entertained by the movie I had chosen, not to be
    force-fed.

    It's bad enough that it's done at the movies, I don't need it in my media room.
    - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 13, 2004
  10. Doug Warner

    Doug Warner Guest

    (Big Gulp phl) wrote:

    >It's non-skippable on YOUR crappy player, perhaps, but not on either of my
    >three semi-decent ones. so there.

    Toshiba SD-2109. inexpensive at $125 about six years ago. I'm not
    going to buy another unless plays HD-DVD's

    Doug Warner, Nov 13, 2004
  11. Doug Warner

    Doug Warner Guest

    Larry <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> It's non-skippable on YOUR crappy player, perhaps, but not on either of my
    >> three semi-decent ones. so there.
    >>

    >All that junk is skippale on my Panasonic, my old Apex, my
    >RCA, my Magnavox and my little Cyberhome.
    >
    >Plays OK on all my computers also.
    >
    >No hangups, no sticky-spots no freeze ups.
    >
    >He must need a new player

    Perhaps., but still, I tried it on my two computer players tonight.
    At the hang point, there's a pause, perhaps intentional, before it
    switches back to the characters in Shrek's house.
    And, on both players, during the trailers, the Next Chapter function
    is disabled. The best I can do is fast forward through them.
    The players are:
    Cyberlink PowerDVD
    InterActual.

    So, they do lock out Next Chapter during the trailers, although there
    may be some players that ignore it.

    I think I'll keep the DVD, as a test disc for my next player. Any one
    that can skip the trailers is a good candidate.

    Doug Warner, Nov 13, 2004
  12. "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > It's non-skippable on YOUR crappy player, perhaps, but not on either of

    my
    > > three semi-decent ones. so there.
    > >

    > All that junk is skippale on my Panasonic, my old Apex, my
    > RCA, my Magnavox and my little Cyberhome.
    >
    > Plays OK on all my computers also.
    >
    > No hangups, no sticky-spots no freeze ups.
    >
    > He must need a new player
    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.

    My copy plays great on both my Pioneer 275S and Sony 360. The only problem
    is they put the wrong film on the disc. Instead of Shrek 2, I have a rare
    copy of Disney's alternate adult version of Pokahontis (sp?). They call the
    adult version Pokahotass. Needless to say I'm not returning this one. I
    always hate when the set the layer transition during a facial scene; doesn't
    look natural.

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Nov 13, 2004
  13. "Doug Warner" <> wrote in message
    Larry <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> It's non-skippable on YOUR crappy player, perhaps, but not on either of

    my
    >> three semi-decent ones. so there.
    >>

    >All that junk is skippale on my Panasonic, my old Apex, my
    >RCA, my Magnavox and my little Cyberhome.
    >
    >Plays OK on all my computers also.
    >
    >No hangups, no sticky-spots no freeze ups.
    >
    >He must need a new player

    Perhaps., but still, I tried it on my two computer players tonight.
    At the hang point, there's a pause, perhaps intentional, before it
    switches back to the characters in Shrek's house.
    And, on both players, during the trailers, the Next Chapter function
    is disabled. The best I can do is fast forward through them.
    The players are:
    Cyberlink PowerDVD
    InterActual.

    So, they do lock out Next Chapter during the trailers, although there
    may be some players that ignore it.

    I think I'll keep the DVD, as a test disc for my next player. Any one
    that can skip the trailers is a good candidate.

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    Windvd platinum is better than Power DVD. It offers smoother search features
    and doesn't hang up as much as PDVD does.

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Nov 13, 2004
  14. Doug Warner

    Biz Guest

    (Big Gulp phl) wrote:

    >It's non-skippable on YOUR crappy player, perhaps, but not on either of my
    >three semi-decent ones. so there.

    Toshiba SD-2109. inexpensive at $125 about six years ago. I'm not
    going to buy another unless plays HD-DVD's

    Not crappy when it was new but it was inexpensive as you stated, but 6 years
    is an eternity for DVD players. So the other poster was right.

    Biz, Nov 13, 2004
  15. Doug Warner

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > So, they do lock out Next Chapter during the trailers, although there
    > may be some players that ignore it.
    >
    > I think I'll keep the DVD, as a test disc for my next player. Any one
    > that can skip the trailers is a good candidate.
    >
    > To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    > Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
    >
    > Windvd platinum is better than Power DVD. It offers smoother search features
    > and doesn't hang up as much as PDVD does.

    You can STILL pass on the trailers without fast forwarding
    (on a set-top player)

    When the trailers start press "Stop" then press "Play"

    It works on all my machines

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 13, 2004
  16. Doug Warner

    Doonie Guest

    I was just surprised that there was no DTS track! Did Speilberg
    sell his share in DTS or something?

    Doonie, Nov 14, 2004
  17. Doug Warner

    Ed Kim Guest

    Michael Walker wrote:
    > > I completely concur about unskippable advertisements. When I put

    in a
    > > DVD, I
    > > want to watch the movie, not stupid previews of movies I probably

    would
    > > never
    > > want to see ever mainly because of this force-fed advertising.
    > >
    > > Things that can catch people's attention are what's good. Things

    that
    > > annoy
    > > people tend to turn them off to whatever is being promoted. -

    Reinhart

    > Aren't you more likely to want to watch trailers, etc. when they are

    > separate menu item?

    this is funny; WHENVER trailers are in a separate menu item, i watch
    them, but whenever they are forced at the beginning, i skip past them
    or ff past them or soemting. if they are unskippable (Universal), i
    ripp the dvd and shrink them out.

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Nov 19, 2004
  18. Doug Warner

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On 19 Nov 2004 12:01:21 -0800, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    >this is funny; WHENVER trailers are in a separate menu item, i watch
    >them, but whenever they are forced at the beginning, i skip past them
    >or ff past them or soemting. if they are unskippable (Universal), i
    >ripp the dvd and shrink them out.

    I just go make a snack while the trailers, FBI warnings and other junk
    at the beginning of a DVD plays. By the time I get back it is on the
    main menu and ready to start the movie.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Nov 20, 2004
  19. Doug Warner

    Doug Warner Guest

    Re: I will NEVER buy another Dreamworks DVD!..

    Larry <> wrote:

    >You can STILL pass on the trailers without fast forwarding
    >(on a set-top player)
    >
    >When the trailers start press "Stop" then press "Play"
    >
    >It works on all my machines

    I stopped at Fry's today with my Shrek2 DVD. All the big-brand
    players honored the skip lockout. The only one that let me skip
    forward, including the FBI warning was a $50 Daewoo unit
    (Non-progressive) .

    On some of the others, I tried Stop-Play, but all they did was resume
    playing at the same point
    The brands I tried were Philips, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Cyberhome,
    JVC, Lasonic, Daewoo.

    I consider Dreamworks' use of the skip lockout for their logo screen
    and ads to be an extreme misuse of the feature, and I will not buy any
    more of their products. (I even changed channels when their logo
    appeared on TV today.)

    Doug Warner, Nov 23, 2004