I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to other utilities

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. We all fork over money on a regular basis for our Internet Access and
    often complain its too costly.

    Okay how much do you pay for Internet Access compared to say
    Electricity, or water, in fact any other service.

    I pay $382 a year for Internet and two domains with email, now I dont
    pay for water etc as I dont live in a std arrangement, but I do pay
    about $600 year for electricity and about $160 a year for gas (Cooking
    and hot water) so in my case the figures stack up even if my service is
    only Dial 56k.

    How does it compare for others say with broadband DSL or Wireless?

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > We all fork over money on a regular basis for our Internet Access and
    > often complain its too costly.
    >
    > Okay how much do you pay for Internet Access compared to say
    > Electricity, or water, in fact any other service.
    >
    > I pay $382 a year for Internet and two domains with email, now I dont
    > pay for water etc as I dont live in a std arrangement, but I do pay
    > about $600 year for electricity and about $160 a year for gas (Cooking
    > and hot water) so in my case the figures stack up even if my service is
    > only Dial 56k.
    >
    > How does it compare for others say with broadband DSL or Wireless?

    Water not billed in Dunedin(fair enough, it tastes pretty bad).

    Wireless net(complimentary account), although should be paying ~$60 a
    month, so $720, + 2 domains, so $780 a year.

    Power costs me ~1440 a year.

    Phone is ~$480 a year(although no phone next year).

    Cellphone is ~$960 a year.

    Wifes Cell is ~$240 a year.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to other utilities

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Wifes Cell is ~$240 a year.

    Uh Dave, what you do in your private life really doesn't concern us.
    :)

    Steve Marshall, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to other utilities

    Steve Marshall, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Collector»NZ

    JohnO Guest

    "Steve Marshall" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    > >Wifes Cell is ~$240 a year.

    > Uh Dave, what you do in your private life really doesn't concern us.
    > :)

    At only $240 it's probably not a very secure cell. More like it's just a
    locked basement.

    *<:eek:)>

    JohnO, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Collector»NZ

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 22/12/2004 8:47 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> We all fork over money on a regular basis for our Internet Access and
    >> often complain its too costly.
    >>
    >> Okay how much do you pay for Internet Access compared to say
    >> Electricity, or water, in fact any other service.
    >>
    >> I pay $382 a year for Internet and two domains with email, now I dont
    >> pay for water etc as I dont live in a std arrangement, but I do pay
    >> about $600 year for electricity and about $160 a year for gas (Cooking
    >> and hot water) so in my case the figures stack up even if my service
    >> is only Dial 56k.
    >>
    >> How does it compare for others say with broadband DSL or Wireless?

    > Water not billed in Dunedin(fair enough, it tastes pretty bad).

    Probably inclusive in the Rates

    > Wireless net(complimentary account), although should be paying ~$60 a
    > month, so $720, + 2 domains, so $780 a year.
    >
    > Power costs me ~1440 a year.

    That used to be about my level when living in a house with Spa, Sauna
    and many computers

    > Phone is ~$480 a year(although no phone next year).

    My Phone is about 45mth so about 540

    > Cellphone is ~$960 a year.

    Hehe Gas Bag mine is about $120 a year

    > Wifes Cell is ~$240 a year.

    No padding in my wifes cell so it is only about 60 a year

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Steve Marshall wrote:
    >>Wifes Cell is ~$240 a year.

    > Uh Dave, what you do in your private life really doesn't concern us.
    > :)

    took m,e a minute, and three re-reads, but I get it now...

    should have been
    Wifes cell phone is ~$240 a year. :)

    better now?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004
  11. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 21, 2004
  12. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Steve Marshall wrote:
    >>>Wifes Cell is ~$240 a year.

    >> Uh Dave, what you do in your private life really doesn't concern us.
    >> :)

    >took m,e a minute, and three re-reads, but I get it now...
    >
    >should have been
    >Wifes cell phone is ~$240 a year. :)
    >
    >better now?

    ... a lot less fun ... for us anyway :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 22, 2004
  13. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >Steve Marshall wrote:
    >>>Wifes Cell is ~$240 a year.

    >> Uh Dave, what you do in your private life really doesn't concern us.
    >> :)

    >took m,e a minute, and three re-reads, but I get it now...
    >
    >should have been
    >Wifes cell phone is ~$240 a year. :)
    >
    >better now?

    ... a lot less fun ... for us anyway :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 22, 2004
  14. Collector»NZ

    Richard Guest

    Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    >> Power costs me ~1440 a year.
    >
    > That used to be about my level when living in a house with Spa, Sauna
    > and many computers

    Seems to me that it is really low - most people i know run at about $200-$250 a
    month. I seem to be at $350 a month for some reason...

    >> Phone is ~$480 a year(although no phone next year).

    > My Phone is about 45mth so about 540

    Yeah, the joys of not being in a telstraclear cabled area :( same here and have
    no choice about it.

    >> Cellphone is ~$960 a year.

    > Hehe Gas Bag mine is about $120 a year

    Since I have stopped texting mine is peanuts - a $20 topup will last weeks now,
    and thanks to motormouth im using it more and more.

    Richard, Dec 22, 2004
  15. Collector»NZ

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Dec 22, 2004
  16. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Richard wrote:
    >>> Power costs me ~1440 a year.

    >> That used to be about my level when living in a house with Spa, Sauna
    >> and many computers

    > Seems to me that it is really low - most people i know run at about
    > $200-$250 a month. I seem to be at $350 a month for some reason...

    It is low compared to my workmates... they're all $200-350 a month, the
    only reason it is so low, is that it is only me and the mrs, she goes to
    the gym after work, so I stay at work a bit longer, we get home at ~6:30
    in bed by 10:30, so hardly time to use power.

    The PC seemed to use ~$35 a month until I turned it off... the house is
    much nicer without a PC on all the time.

    >>> Cellphone is ~$960 a year.

    >> Hehe Gas Bag mine is about $120 a year

    > Since I have stopped texting mine is peanuts - a $20 topup will last
    > weeks now, and thanks to motormouth im using it more and more.

    Im on contract, $30 a month, so *only* 50 a month in text/peak calls...
    mostly texting, but thats cutting back now too as more people have
    mobile email/msn.icq etc.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004
  17. Re: I was Thinking; How does Internet Access Cost compare to otherutilities

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 22, 2004