    edition of some dvd title.

    I don't know if her tv was actually a wide one or a 4:3 one. But the above is
    what was said in the conversation.
    Waterperson77, Dec 11, 2003

  2. "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was in Wal-Mart today and overheard one of the salesclerks talking to a
    > female customer.
    >
    > She was looking for dvd titles. He said "Do you have a widescreen tv or

    regular
    > tv?"
    >
    > She said that she had a pretty wide tv. because it was a large projection

    tv,
    > not real wide, but pretty wide". and then asked him why.
    >
    > He said "The widescreen ones have black bars on them".
    >
    > Then she said "I don't want the black bars" and walked away with a full

    screen
    > edition of some dvd title.
    >
    > I don't know if her tv was actually a wide one or a 4:3 one. But the

    above is
    > what was said in the conversation.

    What a sad story. *sniff*
    Michael Walker, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Waterperson77

    Doonie Guest

    On 11 Dec 2003 04:38:54 GMT, Waterperson77 wrote:

    >Then she said "I don't want the black bars" and walked away with a full screen
    >edition of some dvd title.

    She got what she deserved.

    I once overheard a Best Buy employee talking to a customer about
    "Dolby DTS". Fucking idiots.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca
    Doonie, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Waterperson77

    Rich Guest

    "Doonie" <> wrote in message
    > On 11 Dec 2003 04:38:54 GMT, Waterperson77 wrote:
    >
    > >Then she said "I don't want the black bars" and walked away with a full

    screen
    > >edition of some dvd title.

    > She got what she deserved.
    >
    > I once overheard a Best Buy employee talking to a customer about
    > "Dolby DTS". Fucking idiots.

    I've read posts similar to this for years now, and I'd like to comment.

    I wouldn't call the BB employees "fucking idiots". They're making minimum
    wage or barely over, I wouldn't expect them to have a functional knowledge
    of home theater. I expect them to use a ladder and get me something if it's
    not within reach, but that's about it.

    The customers always get what they deserve when they shop at these stores.
    They *should* be shopping at a home theater specialty store if they have no
    idea what they're looking for. "Customers" such as the examples mentioned
    above are a perfect example of why specialty 'mom and pop' operations are
    going out of business and the big box stores will rule all. In the future I
    hope all these morons have access to Internet reviews, because there sure as
    hell aren't going to be any local shops to help 'em out.
    Rich, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Waterperson77

    Eric R. Guest

    (Waterperson77) wrote in message

    Hey, I was in Walmart today too! Small world, isn't it?

    -Eric
    Eric R., Dec 11, 2003
  6. Waterperson77

    Scot Gardner Guest

    <<I was in Wal-Mart today and overheard one of the salesclerks talking
    to a female customer.>>

    <<She was looking for dvd titles. He said "Do you have a widescreen tv
    or regular tv?">>

    <<She said that she had a pretty wide tv. because it was a large
    projection tv, not real wide, but pretty wide". and then asked him
    why.>>

    <<He said "The widescreen ones have black bars on them".>>

    <<Then she said "I don't want the black bars" and walked away with a
    full screen edition of some dvd title.>>

    <<I don't know if her tv was actually a wide one or a 4:3 one. But the
    above is what was said in the conversation.>>

    The bottom line here is that we have another totally-satisfied Wal-Mart
    customer. The salesclerk is completely in tune with what the typical
    Wal-Mart DVD customer wants and deserves.
    Scot Gardner, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Waterperson77

    John Savard Guest

    On 11 Dec 2003 04:38:54 GMT,
    (Waterperson77) wrote, in part:

    >I was in Wal-Mart today and overheard one of the salesclerks talking to a
    >female customer.
    >
    >She was looking for dvd titles. He said "Do you have a widescreen tv or regular
    >tv?"
    >
    >She said that she had a pretty wide tv. because it was a large projection tv,
    >not real wide, but pretty wide". and then asked him why.
    >
    >He said "The widescreen ones have black bars on them".
    >
    >Then she said "I don't want the black bars" and walked away with a full screen
    >edition of some dvd title.
    >
    >I don't know if her tv was actually a wide one or a 4:3 one. But the above is
    >what was said in the conversation.

    I think you don't have to worry about this customer walking away with
    a fullscreen DVD by mistake. Unless she wasn't involved in her
    husband's decision to buy a 16:9 projection TV, I would think that if
    she *had* a widescreen TV, she would have known the difference, and
    would have been able to say "Well, on *my* TV, it's the other ones
    that would have the black bars along the sides".

    John Savard
    John Savard, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Waterperson77

    Bil Gonzalez Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > The customers always get what they deserve when they shop at these stores.
    > They *should* be shopping at a home theater specialty store if they have

    no
    > idea what they're looking for. "Customers" such as the examples mentioned
    > above are a perfect example of why specialty 'mom and pop' operations are
    > going out of business and the big box stores will rule all. In the future

    > hope all these morons have access to Internet reviews, because there sure

    as
    > hell aren't going to be any local shops to help 'em out.

    Sending someone to "Mom and Pop" shop is the last thing I would do. It is
    extremely easy for them to get suckered into buying something they don't
    need, and for far too much money, because they have no idea about what they
    are doing.

    Many "Mom and Pop" shops, especially those that dealt with electronics, went
    out of business because they couldn't compete with the discounted prices
    offered by Best Buy and other larger stores. I don't care how knowledgable
    "Pop" is, I'm not paying full retail on anything if I don't have to. M&P
    shops often came across as eliteist, gouging their customers, and pushing
    certain "high end" brand names that maximized their profits. Many of them
    (not all) deserved their demise.

    I am being honest when I say that in 20 years, I've never been to a store or
    shop where the sales person knew more than I did about the product I was
    looking for. It is simple to do your research on the internet now. I like
    to play stupid and see what kind of misinformation I can get from
    salespeople.
    Bil Gonzalez, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Waterperson77

    JWB Guest

    "Eric R." <> wrote in message
    > (Waterperson77) wrote in message
    >
    > Hey, I was in Walmart today too! Small world, isn't it?

    The one that's within eyeshot of Mcdonalds? Damn, I was there too.
    JWB, Dec 11, 2003
  10. Waterperson77

    Shinner Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in news:eek:x0Cb.392743$pT1.195082
    @twister.nyc.rr.com:

    > "Eric R." <> wrote in message
    >> (Waterperson77) wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hey, I was in Walmart today too! Small world, isn't it?

    > The one that's within eyeshot of Mcdonalds? Damn, I was there too.

    Right next to the Sam's Club, I think.
    Shinner, Dec 11, 2003
  11. In article <3fd896b1$0$57213$>,
    Shinner <> wrote:

    > >> Hey, I was in Walmart today too! Small world, isn't it?

    > > The one that's within eyeshot of Mcdonalds? Damn, I was there too.

    > Right next to the Sam's Club, I think.

    No, the one next to Starbucks.
    Reginald Dwight, Dec 11, 2003
  12. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    Rich wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:39:51 -0500]:
    > I wouldn't call the BB employees "fucking idiots". They're making minimum
    > wage or barely over, I wouldn't expect them to have a functional knowledge
    > of home theater. I expect them to use a ladder and get me something if it's
    > not within reach, but that's about it.

    Right. Anyone that goes to a store and expects the monkeys to know
    anything about what they are selling is an idiot

    > The customers always get what they deserve when they shop at these stores.
    > They *should* be shopping at a home theater specialty store if they have no
    > idea what they're looking for.

    Where they can be taken advantage of....

    The bottom line is, you need to do your homework or expect to be
    screwed.
    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
  13. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    JWB wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:01:24 GMT]:
    > "Eric R." <> wrote in message
    >> (Waterperson77) wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hey, I was in Walmart today too! Small world, isn't it?

    > The one that's within eyeshot of Mcdonalds? Damn, I was there too.

    There was a Starbucks next door
    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
  14. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    John Savard wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:46:57 GMT]:
    > On 11 Dec 2003 04:38:54 GMT,
    > (Waterperson77) wrote, in part:
    >
    >>I was in Wal-Mart today and overheard one of the salesclerks talking to a
    >>female customer.
    >>
    >>She was looking for dvd titles. He said "Do you have a widescreen tv or regular
    >>tv?"
    >>
    >>She said that she had a pretty wide tv. because it was a large projection tv,
    >>not real wide, but pretty wide". and then asked him why.
    >>
    >>He said "The widescreen ones have black bars on them".
    >>
    >>Then she said "I don't want the black bars" and walked away with a full screen
    >>edition of some dvd title.
    >>
    >>I don't know if her tv was actually a wide one or a 4:3 one. But the above is
    >>what was said in the conversation.

    > I think you don't have to worry about this customer walking away with
    > a fullscreen DVD by mistake. Unless she wasn't involved in her
    > husband's decision to buy a 16:9 projection TV, I would think that if
    > she *had* a widescreen TV, she would have known the difference, and
    > would have been able to say "Well, on *my* TV, it's the other ones
    > that would have the black bars along the sides".

    or she's just clueless about it all. To some people it's not life or
    death whether they know the models and specs of all their technology.

    I dunno why though.
    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
  15. Waterperson77

    Eric R. Guest

    "JWB" <> wrote in message

    > The one that's within eyeshot of Mcdonalds? Damn, I was there too.

    How did you know?

    -Eric
    Eric R., Dec 11, 2003
  16. Waterperson77

    Wade365 Guest

    << The customers always get what they deserve when they shop at these stores.
    They *should* be shopping at a home theater specialty store if they have no
    idea what they're looking for. >>

    Yeah... they should be shopping at a place where the idiots have had time to
    cultivate their used-car salesman style and sell the poor bastard more
    expensive crap than they can possibly appreciate at an inflated cost because of
    the "specialty" of home theater.

    Right.
    Wade365, Dec 11, 2003
  17. Waterperson77

    Doonie Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:39:51 -0500, Rich wrote:

    >I wouldn't call the BB employees "fucking idiots". They're making minimum
    >wage or barely over, I wouldn't expect them to have a functional knowledge
    >of home theater.

    Shouldn't confuse customers by trying to sound like he knows what
    he's talking if he doesn't want to look like a fucking idiot.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca
    Doonie, Dec 11, 2003
  18. >> >> Hey, I was in Walmart today too! Small world, isn't it?

    >> > The one that's within eyeshot of Mcdonalds? Damn, I was there too.

    >> Right next to the Sam's Club, I think.

    > No, the one next to Starbucks.

    And across the street... is another Starbucks.

    --

    Aaron J. "End of the Universe" Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 11, 2003
  19. Waterperson77

    Richard Guest

    Walmart = arm of the Chinese government
    Richard, Dec 11, 2003
  20. Waterperson77

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Waterperson77, says...

    I'm just wondering, have you recently been looking at 2.35 aspect ratio
    TVs?
    Mark Spatny, Dec 11, 2003