    Shaharran Guest

    Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the same
    hard drive right after it?
    Shaharran, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Shaharran

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:23:18 -0700, Shaharran wrote:

    > Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the same
    > hard drive right after it?

    Yup. Same hard drive. Different partitions though.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Shaharran

    Vanguard Guest

    "Shaharran" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on
    > the same
    > hard drive right after it?

    So why dye your shirt red when you are going to immediately follow by
    dying it blue? Why would you waste time installing any operating system
    is all you are going to do is wipe it out and then install another
    operating system. Are you looking for ways to waste time? Just install
    Windows XP first and, well, there you are with the target operating
    system.
    Vanguard, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Shaharran

    Shaharran Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:23:18 -0700, Shaharran wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the
    >> same hard drive right after it?

    > Yup. Same hard drive. Different partitions though.

    But won't each of the OS want to have the first partition (C) on the master
    hard drive?
    Shaharran, Apr 12, 2007
  5. Shaharran

    Shaharran Guest

    Vanguard wrote:

    > "Shaharran" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on
    >> the same
    >> hard drive right after it?

    > So why dye your shirt red when you are going to immediately follow by
    > dying it blue? Why would you waste time installing any operating system
    > is all you are going to do is wipe it out and then install another
    > operating system. Are you looking for ways to waste time? Just install
    > Windows XP first and, well, there you are with the target operating
    > system.

    I want to play games that did well under windows 98 but do not under XP.
    XP is too fast, the sound is screwed up, etc., etc.
    Shaharran, Apr 12, 2007
  6. Shaharran

    Shaharran Guest

    wrote:

    > Shaharran <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the
    >>same hard drive right after it?

    > How I always did it, each OS on a separate Partition.
    >
    > Install Win98 get it set up, then while in Win98 insert the XP CD it
    > will ask if you want to do a clean install, and you select yes and to
    > a different Partition.
    >
    > It will do it's thing, reboot and your into the XP installation mode.
    >
    > Easy.

    I seem to remember doing that but can't remember how the drive letters came
    out, whether 98 was the "C" drive or XP was labeled as "C".
    Shaharran, Apr 12, 2007
  7. Shaharran

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Shaharran" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the
    > same
    > hard drive right after it?

    Yes. For a dual-boot? Two things to consider:

    First: partition the hard drive with two (or three) partitions. Here's why I
    suggest three:
    XP runs best on the NTFS file system. Windows 9x will NOT read an NTFS
    partition. So Win9x gets one partition (FAT32), XP gets another (NTFS) and
    DATA goes on the third partition (FAT32). This way, data is available to
    both versions of Windows. And if XP or Win9x crashes, either can be
    reinstalled with minimal loss of data. If you go with two partitions, you
    have two options: FAT32 on BOTH, or plan on keeping all your shared data on
    the Win9x partition (since 9x won't be able to access anything from XP on
    NTFS.)

    Second:
    Install Win9x FIRST. Install XP second. Otherwise it won't work without
    installing third-party software (boot manager).
    WhzzKdd, Apr 12, 2007
  8. Shaharran

    Shaharran Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Shaharran" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the
    >> same
    >> hard drive right after it?

    > Yes. For a dual-boot? Two things to consider:
    >
    > First: partition the hard drive with two (or three) partitions. Here's why
    > I suggest three:
    > XP runs best on the NTFS file system. Windows 9x will NOT read an NTFS
    > partition. So Win9x gets one partition (FAT32), XP gets another (NTFS) and
    > DATA goes on the third partition (FAT32). This way, data is available to
    > both versions of Windows. And if XP or Win9x crashes, either can be
    > reinstalled with minimal loss of data. If you go with two partitions, you
    > have two options: FAT32 on BOTH, or plan on keeping all your shared data
    > on the Win9x partition (since 9x won't be able to access anything from XP
    > on NTFS.)
    >
    > Second:
    > Install Win9x FIRST. Install XP second. Otherwise it won't work without
    > installing third-party software (boot manager).

    Thank you!
    Shaharran, Apr 12, 2007
  9. Shaharran

    Melvin Snerd Guest

    "Vanguard" <> said in

    > "Shaharran" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on
    >> the same
    >> hard drive right after it?

    > So why dye your shirt red when you are going to immediately follow by
    > dying it blue? Why would you waste time installing any operating system
    > is all you are going to do is wipe it out and then install another
    > operating system. Are you looking for ways to waste time? Just install
    > Windows XP first and, well, there you are with the target operating
    > system.

    He was asking if he could make the drive dual boot, you imbecile. The
    answer is yes. You could just load W98 first and then load XP next on the
    same partition. XP will ask you if you want to update the OS or dual boot
    it, which is what he wants. You'll have the 2 OS booting from a FAT32
    partition. Another choice to FDISK the drive into 2 partitions. Load 98
    first into the first partition, whichn will be FAT32. You then can load XP
    into the second partition, which can be NTFS. Either way will work.
    Melvin Snerd, Apr 12, 2007
  10. Shaharran

    Guest

    Shaharran <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the same
    >hard drive right after it?

    How I always did it, each OS on a separate Partition.

    Install Win98 get it set up, then while in Win98 insert the XP CD it
    will ask if you want to do a clean install, and you select yes and to
    a different Partition.

    It will do it's thing, reboot and your into the XP installation mode.

    Easy.

    --
    Blue Balls
    http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/
  11. Shaharran

    Guest

    Shaharran <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Shaharran <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on the
    >>>same hard drive right after it?

    >> How I always did it, each OS on a separate Partition.
    >>
    >> Install Win98 get it set up, then while in Win98 insert the XP CD it
    >> will ask if you want to do a clean install, and you select yes and to
    >> a different Partition.
    >>
    >> It will do it's thing, reboot and your into the XP installation mode.
    >>
    >> Easy.

    >I seem to remember doing that but can't remember how the drive letters came
    >out, whether 98 was the "C" drive or XP was labeled as "C".

    Win98 will be C drive, XP any drive. - Don't use the same partition
    for both OS's, use at least two partitions one for each OS.

    It was mentioned Win98 uses FAT32 and XP can use NTFS format that
    Win98 can't read.

    If you decide to go NTFS for XP you can read the partition with Win98
    if you use NTFS4DOS.
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html

    FWIW I dual boot XP and still use FAT32.
    --
    Blue Balls
    http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/
    , Apr 12, 2007
  12. Shaharran

    Brian Guest

    Shaharran wrote:
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> "Shaharran" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP
    >>> on the same
    >>> hard drive right after it?

    >> So why dye your shirt red when you are going to immediately follow
    >> by dying it blue? Why would you waste time installing any
    >> operating system is all you are going to do is wipe it out and
    >> then install another operating system. Are you looking for ways
    >> to waste time? Just install Windows XP first and, well, there you
    >> are with the target operating system.

    > I want to play games that did well under windows 98 but do not
    > under XP. XP is too fast, the sound is screwed up, etc., etc.

    Have you tried to change the compatability (in properties), you never
    know it may just make your problem go away...
    Brian, Apr 12, 2007
  13. Shaharran

    Shaharran Guest

    wrote:

    > Shaharran <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> How I always did it, each OS on a separate Partition.
    >>>
    >>> Install Win98 get it set up, then while in Win98 insert the XP CD it
    >>> will ask if you want to do a clean install, and you select yes and to
    >>> a different Partition.
    >>>
    >>> It will do it's thing, reboot and your into the XP installation mode.
    >>>
    >>> Easy.

    >>I seem to remember doing that but can't remember how the drive letters
    >>came out, whether 98 was the "C" drive or XP was labeled as "C".

    > Win98 will be C drive, XP any drive. - Don't use the same partition
    > for both OS's, use at least two partitions one for each OS.
    >
    > It was mentioned Win98 uses FAT32 and XP can use NTFS format that
    > Win98 can't read.
    >
    > If you decide to go NTFS for XP you can read the partition with Win98
    > if you use NTFS4DOS.
    > http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html
    >
    > FWIW I dual boot XP and still use FAT32.

    Oh hey now, that's a nifty little program to have! I am going to install
    Win98 and then XP after it using a clean install. I don't see any reason
    not to use a fat32 file system with XP. It's not like I am hurting for
    space on this hard drive, just have to remember to defrag once in awhile.
    Thanks so much (to all of you) for taking the time to help me. It's really
    appreciated.
    Shaharran, Apr 12, 2007
  14. Shaharran

    Vanguard Guest

    "Melvin Snerd" wrote in message
    > "Vanguard" said in
    >
    >> "Shaharran" wrote in message
    >>> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on
    >>> the same
    >>> hard drive right after it?

    >> So why dye your shirt red when you are going to immediately follow by
    >> dying it blue? Why would you waste time installing any operating
    >> system
    >> is all you are going to do is wipe it out and then install another
    >> operating system. Are you looking for ways to waste time? Just
    >> install
    >> Windows XP first and, well, there you are with the target operating
    >> system.
    >>

    > He was asking if he could make the drive dual boot, you imbecile.

    Make all the assumptions you want. He asked what he asked. Go reread
    his post again. The question was a specific and detailed as asking "I
    want it yellow and then want it blue." The actual goal was never
    specified.
    Vanguard, Apr 13, 2007
  15. Shaharran

    Vanguard Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Shaharran" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on
    >> the same
    >> hard drive right after it?

    > So why dye your shirt red when you are going to immediately follow by
    > dying it blue? Why would you waste time installing any operating
    > system is all you are going to do is wipe it out and then install
    > another operating system. Are you looking for ways to waste time?
    > Just install Windows XP first and, well, there you are with the target
    > operating system.

    Oh, so what you are REALLY asking is how to install multiple operating
    systems and then multi-boot (i.e., select which one to load on bootup).
    Okay, one way is to do as you say by installing Windows 9x first and
    then install Windows XP but I would create 2 separate primary partitions
    on the hard drive. I also don't like Microsoft's dual-boot mechanism
    since what it really does is load a base OS to then let you decide on
    which one to load. Instead you might want to look at using a multiboot
    manager, like GAG (gag.sourceforge.net). It has the option that you can
    configure your boot scheme by using their bootable floppy and when you
    decide you have it right then you can copy it to the MBR on the first
    hard drive (the one on which the BIOS looks for the bootstrap program).
    If the bootstrap program in the hard drive's MBR gets screwed up then
    you can revert to using the bootable floppy to run it from there or copy
    it back into the MBR again.

    We don't know how many hard drives you have. We don't know what are
    their sizes? We don't know what you already have installed on them. We
    don't know anything about your hardware and OS setup because you gave
    absolutely no details.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    Vanguard, Apr 13, 2007
  16. Shaharran

    Melvin Snerd Guest

    "Vanguard" <> said in

    > "Melvin Snerd" wrote in message
    >> "Vanguard" said in
    >>
    >>> "Shaharran" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> So why dye your shirt red when you are going to immediately follow by
    >>> dying it blue? Why would you waste time installing any operating
    >>> system
    >>> is all you are going to do is wipe it out and then install another
    >>> operating system. Are you looking for ways to waste time? Just
    >>> install
    >>> Windows XP first and, well, there you are with the target operating
    >>> system.
    >>>

    >> He was asking if he could make the drive dual boot, you imbecile.

    > Make all the assumptions you want. He asked what he asked. Go reread
    > his post again. The question was a specific and detailed as asking "I
    > want it yellow and then want it blue." The actual goal was never
    > specified.

    You say "toe-mA-toe", I say "toe-MAE-toe"........et al. So sue me.

    MELVIN
    Melvin Snerd, Apr 13, 2007
  17. Shaharran

    Melvin Snerd Guest

    Aardvark <> said in

    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:23:18 -0700, Shaharran wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to do this? I mean, install Win98 and then WinXP on
    >> the same hard drive right after it?

    > Yup. Same hard drive. Different partitions though.

    You don't particularly have to have it on different partitions as long as
    the partition is FAt32.

    MELVIN
    Melvin Snerd, Apr 13, 2007
  18. Shaharran

    Melvin Snerd Guest

    Shaharran <> said in

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Shaharran <> wrote:

    >>>I seem to remember doing that but can't remember how the drive
    >>>letters came out, whether 98 was the "C" drive or XP was labeled as
    >>>"C".

    >> Win98 will be C drive, XP any drive. - Don't use the same partition
    >> for both OS's, use at least two partitions one for each OS.
    >>
    >> It was mentioned Win98 uses FAT32 and XP can use NTFS format that
    >> Win98 can't read.
    >>
    >> If you decide to go NTFS for XP you can read the partition with Win98
    >> if you use NTFS4DOS.
    >> http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html
    >>
    >> FWIW I dual boot XP and still use FAT32.

    > Oh hey now, that's a nifty little program to have! I am going to
    > install Win98 and then XP after it using a clean install. I don't see
    > any reason not to use a fat32 file system with XP. It's not like I am
    > hurting for space on this hard drive, just have to remember to defrag
    > once in awhile. Thanks so much (to all of you) for taking the time to
    > help me. It's really appreciated.

    If you use FAT32 for both partitions, you won't need NTFS4DOS. W98 will
    read it.

    MELVIN
    Melvin Snerd, Apr 13, 2007