    steal my internet connection from my router?

    PLEASE!!!

    G-
    =?Utf-8?B?Ry0=?=, Apr 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Ry0=?=

    Malke Guest

    G- wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Ok here is the deal. I have a router 802.11g, I have a desktop and the
    > router is next to my desktop. The router is used to connect to a
    > laptop to the internet wirelessly. I realized that anybody with a
    > laptop that has a NIC or whatever can access my internet. How do I
    > make my wireless internet connection password protected so my
    > neighbors or people near by wont be able steal my internet connection
    > from my router?

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Apr 4, 2006

  3. I did what that woman in that article says and I can still connect to the
    internet from the laptop without problems, that means that anybody can
    connect just by clicking on the "We have detected a unsecure wireless
    connection" link.
    I need to make it password protected so anybody who sees my wireless
    connection and tries to connect, their access will be denied. HELP PLEASE,
    those links didn't work, they just explained me stuff but didn't tell me what
    to do.

    Thank you anyway Malke.

    =?Utf-8?B?Ry0=?=, Apr 4, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Ry0=?=

    Malke Guest

    G- wrote:

    > I did what that woman in that article says and I can still connect to
    > the internet from the laptop without problems, that means that anybody
    > can connect just by clicking on the "We have detected a unsecure
    > wireless connection" link.
    > I need to make it password protected so anybody who sees my wireless
    > connection and tries to connect, their access will be denied. HELP
    > PLEASE, those links didn't work, they just explained me stuff but
    > didn't tell me what to do.

    You couldn't have done what those links suggested and still have an
    unsecured network.

    On the router - change the SSID from the default to something you will
    recognize that isn't your name.

    On the router - set the wireless encryption. If your hardware supports
    it, use WPA. Refer to the router manual for further details. All
    hardware must support WPA; IOW you can't have a wireless adapter on a
    computer that is older and only supports WEP and use WPA on the router.

    You will only need to enter the encryption key once. The computer will
    remember the key for the future.

    On the computer, it will see the wireless network and tell you it is a
    secured network and you will need to enter the encryption key. The
    exact details depend on whether you are using Windows to handle your
    wireless network connectivity or the network adapter's software.

    Anyone else who sees your wireless connection will see that it is
    secured and will not be able to use the connection without the key.

    Malke
    Malke, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Malke you're the man, thank you for your time and your patiens. Appreciate it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Ry0=?=, Apr 7, 2006