    The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
    it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?

    Thanks
    John Ross Mc Master, Dec 30, 2006

  2. John Ross Mc Master

    Ron Martell Guest

    John Ross Mc Master <> wrote:

    >It is Sheridan Disk Cataloguer.
    >http://www.gcn.com/print/17_22/33219-1.html
    >The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
    >it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?
    >
    >Thanks

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Dec 31, 2006

  3. John Ross Mc Master

    Ron Martell Guest

    John Ross Mc Master <> wrote:

    >It is Sheridan Disk Cataloguer.
    >http://www.gcn.com/print/17_22/33219-1.html
    >The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
    >it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?
    >
    >Thanks

    You can try installing the program in Windows XP and creating a
    desktop icon to launch it. Then right-click on the icon, select
    Properties and go to the Compatibility tab. Select the option to run
    the program in compatibility mode for Windows 95 or Windows 98.

    But from the description of how the program works I suspect that it
    may be bypassing the operating system functions and working directly
    with the computer hardware. This is not a good programming practice
    but it was tolerated in the Windows 9x versions. However Windows XP
    totally prohibits any program from working directly with the hardware,
    and that may be why this program is not XP compatible. It probably
    would take a complete redesign and rewrite of the entire program to
    make it XP compatibile.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Dec 31, 2006
  4. John Ross Mc Master

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:44:47 GMT, John Ross Mc Master
    <> wrote:

    >It is Sheridan Disk Cataloguer.
    >http://www.gcn.com/print/17_22/33219-1.html
    >The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
    >it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?
    >
    >Thanks

    You can try right clicking on the EXE in Windows Explorer, and select
    Properties, then IIRC there's a "Compatibility Mode" option. Select
    Windows 98.
    This may or may not work.
    Evan Platt, Dec 31, 2006
  5. Thanks. I'll try it. Hope it works.
    John

    John Ross Mc Master, Dec 31, 2006
  6. THANKS! IT WORKED!

    Am I ever happy. My catalog has over 4,000 CD's in it.

    John Ross Mc Master, Dec 31, 2006