    I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.

    Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?
    Z., Aug 9, 2006

  2. Z.

    gwtc Guest

    Z. wrote:
    > I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    > _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >
    > Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies tab, and View Cookies.

    --
    Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

    Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
    blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.
    gwtc, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Z.

    Miller Guest

    *Z.* wrote on 09.08.06 08:01:
    > I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    > _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >
    > Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    Maybe cookieculler is something, you're looking for:
    http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/ffaq.html

    HTH, Miller
    Miller, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Z.

    Z. Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    >> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    >> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >>
    >> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    > Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies tab, and View Cookies.

    Ok, then what ... ?
    Z., Aug 9, 2006
  5. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Miller wrote:
    >> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    >> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >>
    >> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    > Maybe cookieculler is something, you're looking for:
    > http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/ffaq.html

    Thanks, I'll check out that extension.
    Z., Aug 9, 2006
  6. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > *Z.* wrote on 09.08.06 08:01:
    >> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    >> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >>
    >> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    > Maybe cookieculler is something, you're looking for:
    > http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/ffaq.html

    When trying to install Cookie Culler from the official Mozilla extension
    site I get the following pop-up

    Error

    Firefox could not install the file at
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/cookieculler/cookieculler-1.3.0-fx mz.xpi
    because: Invalid file has (possible download corruption)

    But it looks like the extension loaded and will install when I restart
    FF. Do I need to be concerned with this error message?
    Z., Aug 9, 2006
  7. Z.

    gwtc Guest

    Z. wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >>> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    >>> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    >> Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies tab, and View Cookies.

    > Ok, then what ... ?

    I told you where to clear them, so clear them.

    --
    EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

    You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

    Ziploc Bags are Male, because they hold everything in, but you can see
    right through them.
    gwtc, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Z.

    Miller Guest

    *Z.* wrote on 09.08.06 12:59:

    > When trying to install Cookie Culler from the official Mozilla extension
    > site I get the following pop-up
    >
    > Error
    >
    > Firefox could not install the file at
    > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/cookieculler/cookieculler-1.3.0-fx mz.xpi
    > because: Invalid file has (possible download corruption)
    >

    > But it looks like the extension loaded and will install when I restart
    > FF. Do I need to be concerned with this error message?

    Don't know. Did you get that errormessage more than one time?
    Can you access the options of cookieculler under Tools -> Extensions?

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Aug 9, 2006
  9. Z.

    Z. Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Z. wrote:

    >>> Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies tab, and View Cookies.

    >> Ok, then what ... ?

    > I told you where to clear them, so clear them.

    I'd like to _automatically_ clear them ...
    Z., Aug 9, 2006
  10. Z.

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/09/2006 01:01 AM, Z. wrote:
    > I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    > _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >
    > Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    Hint: Click on the "exceptions" button on the cookies tab in
    the options dialog. You can figure out the rest.
    Mumia W., Aug 9, 2006
  11. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 08/09/2006 01:01 AM, Z. wrote:
    >> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    >> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >>
    >> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    > Hint: Click on the "exceptions" button on the cookies tab in the options
    > dialog. You can figure out the rest.

    <sigh> That doesn't provide the feature I'm seeking. I want *all* sites
    to be able to set cookies, I want the cleanup on exit to leave a select
    few behind and automatically remove the rest.
    Z., Aug 9, 2006
  12. Z.

    gwtc Guest

    Z. wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> On 08/09/2006 01:01 AM, Z. wrote:
    >>> I'd like to automatically clear all my cookies every time I close FF
    >>> _except_ for a small set of cookies from some web sites.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible with FF (1.5.0.6)?

    >> Hint: Click on the "exceptions" button on the cookies tab in the
    >> options dialog. You can figure out the rest.

    > <sigh> That doesn't provide the feature I'm seeking. I want *all* sites
    > to be able to set cookies, I want the cleanup on exit to leave a select
    > few behind and automatically remove the rest.

    then add the ones you want into the Exceptions area. Then set up FF
    to remove all the cookies when shutting down except for those.

    gwtc, Aug 9, 2006
  13. On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 08:24:44 -0700, gwtc <> wrote:

    > Z. wrote:

    > >> Tools, Options, Privacy, Cookies tab, and View Cookies.

    > > Ok, then what ... ?

    > I told you where to clear them, so clear them.

    I think it is not possible to *automatically* clear all cookies except for
    some, if you are using just fx 1.5.0.6 without an extension.

    You can manually clear selected cookies - which is time-consuming, or you
    can automatically delete all cookies. Neither is what the original poster
    asked for. It was suggested that the sites he wants to keep could simply be
    entered into the exceptions list. This does not work. When "clear cookies
    now" is pressed, *all* cookies are deleted, including those in the allowed
    exceptions list. He still has to manually delete unwanted cookies. Maybe a
    fourth option needs to be added to the exception list. That would be
    "keep".

    There are very good reasons for wanting to keep some cookies from ever
    being deleted. One is the google cookie. I set my preferences to allow all
    unfiltered results. If the cookie is killed, then I most go into google
    settings each time to tell it not to filter my results. The same situation
    is true for other cookies, like TV listings and customized preference
    settings with some sites. I certainly don't want to reprogram my channel
    line-up every time I want to see what's going to be on TV, and I don't want
    to have to re-select readable colors on blog sites that default to
    unreadable colors. This is the stuff that permanent cookies are for.

    I'm happy to have all other cookies auto-deleted each time I shut down the
    browser.
    FoxWolfie Galen, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Z.

    Z. Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    >>> Hint: Click on the "exceptions" button on the cookies tab in the
    >>> options dialog. You can figure out the rest.

    >> <sigh> That doesn't provide the feature I'm seeking. I want *all*
    >> sites to be able to set cookies, I want the cleanup on exit to leave a
    >> select few behind and automatically remove the rest.

    > then add the ones you want into the Exceptions area. Then set up FF to
    > remove all the cookies when shutting down except for those.

    The Exceptions area (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions)
    says: "You can specify which web sites are always or never allowed to
    use cookies. Type the exact address of the site you want tp manage and
    then click Block, Allow for Session or Allow."

    Unless that documentation is incorrect, creating an exception for a
    cookie does not keep it from being deleted automatically on close by
    Clear Private Data.

    If there is another way, besides using the Clear Private Data tool, to
    "set up FF to remove all the cookies when shutting down," then I'll need
    you to be more specific.
    Z., Aug 11, 2006
  15. Z.

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/10/2006 10:51 PM, Z. wrote:

    > The Exceptions area (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions)
    > says: "You can specify which web sites are always or never allowed to
    > use cookies. Type the exact address of the site you want tp manage and
    > then click Block, Allow for Session or Allow."
    >
    > Unless that documentation is incorrect,

    The documentation is incorrect.

    > creating an exception for a
    > cookie does not keep it from being deleted automatically on close by
    > Clear Private Data.
    > [...]

    Then don't click Clear Private Data. Clear Private Data is not
    automatically invoked upon exit.

    Why waste several hours arguing with people on the newsgroups
    about whether this works or not when you can test it out for
    yourself in a few minutes?

    I added a website to the exceptions list, visited the site,
    examined the resulting cookie, exited Firefox, reloaded
    Firefox, and examined the still-surviving cookie in all of
    five minutes.

    And I do have Fx set to delete cookies upon exit.
    Mumia W., Aug 11, 2006
  16. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    >> The Exceptions area (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies > Exceptions)
    >> says: "You can specify which web sites are always or never allowed to
    >> use cookies. Type the exact address of the site you want tp manage and
    >> then click Block, Allow for Session or Allow."
    >>
    >> Unless that documentation is incorrect,

    > The documentation is incorrect.
    >
    >> creating an exception for a
    >> cookie does not keep it from being deleted automatically on close by
    >> Clear Private Data.
    >> [...]

    > Then don't click Clear Private Data. Clear Private Data is not
    > automatically invoked upon exit.
    >
    > Why waste several hours arguing with people on the newsgroups about
    > whether this works or not when you can test it out for yourself in a few
    > minutes?
    >
    > I added a website to the exceptions list, visited the site, examined the
    > resulting cookie, exited Firefox, reloaded Firefox, and examined the
    > still-surviving cookie in all of five minutes.
    >
    > And I do have Fx set to delete cookies upon exit.

    Thank you. That worked.
    Z., Aug 11, 2006