    shot.

    Thanks,
    Pseudo

    pseudo, Jul 21, 2006

  2. pseudo

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:22:33 +1200, pseudo <> wrote:

    >About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
    >they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
    >the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
    >ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
    >running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
    >receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
    >coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
    >out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
    >powerful router.
    >
    >I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
    >rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
    >able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
    >shot.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Pseudo

    No...

    The Router has nothing to do with it, unless you are referring to the
    supplied Modem..?

    Try Removing all devices connected to the phone lines..

    You can also rewire the Phone stuff your self..

    , Jul 21, 2006

  3. pseudo

    XPD Guest

    "pseudo" <> wrote in message

    > I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
    > rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
    > able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
    > shot.

    Id be interested in knowing what a "more powerful router" is...... pretty
    sure its their equipment that supplies the signal, not you :)

    XPD, Jul 21, 2006
  4. pseudo

    Jo Guest

    "pseudo" <> wrote in message
    > About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
    > they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
    > the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
    > ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
    > running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
    > receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
    > coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
    > out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
    > powerful router.
    >
    > I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
    > rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
    > able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
    > shot.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pseudo

    I am confused.
    You want adsl or cable?
    You live roughly 7km from the exchange?
    You have multiple phones and jacks?
    Do you have the correct filters and has the adsl splitter been installed?
    Why do you need a router?
    So, are you in range of full Telstra services or only Telecom?

    Would you like to give us all the facts and not half the story.

    Jo, Jul 22, 2006
  5. pseudo

    Peter Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > You live roughly 7km from the exchange?

    We live 3km from the exchange, and this is right on (or past) the limit of
    Telecom's ADSL. 5km of cable length is the limit, apparently.

    Telecom's coverage is actually very limited, despite what they claim.

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 22, 2006
  6. pseudo

    pseudo Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:15:38 +1200, Jo wrote:

    > "pseudo" <> wrote in message
    >> About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
    >> they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
    >> the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
    >> ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
    >> running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
    >> receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
    >> coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
    >> out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
    >> powerful router.
    >>
    >> I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
    >> rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
    >> able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
    >> shot.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Pseudo

    > I am confused.
    > You want adsl or cable?
    > You live roughly 7km from the exchange?
    > You have multiple phones and jacks?
    > Do you have the correct filters and has the adsl splitter been installed?
    > Why do you need a router?
    > So, are you in range of full Telstra services or only Telecom?
    >
    > Would you like to give us all the facts and not half the story.

    I wanted adsl. I don't know where the exchange is, exactly, but I live in
    a township about 10km from Blenheim, and the person at Telstra said I was
    within 4km of the exchange. I had one phone jack at the time, and put the
    splitter on, then unplugged everything else connected to the phone line to
    try and get it running.

    I don't know that I do need a router, that's just what the tech at Telstra
    told me.

    pseudo, Jul 22, 2006
  7. pseudo

    cyril Guest

    I live 4.2km from the switch, confirmed by the Telecom tech as to the
    route. My touter normally shows somewhere between 4.5-5Mb/s connection
    rate.

    Cyril

    cyril, Jul 22, 2006
  8. pseudo

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jul 22, 2006
  9. On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:22:33 +1200, pseudo <>
    wrote:

    >About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
    >they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
    >the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
    >ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
    >running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
    >receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
    >coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
    >out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
    >powerful router.
    >
    >I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
    >rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
    >able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
    >shot.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Pseudo

    See if you can borrow someone's good ADSL router for a day to see if
    it is any better. It is entirely possible that it will be. There are
    two basic sorts of ADSL equipment, 12 volt and 24 volt. The 12 V
    equipment normally does not use the full range of signaling voltage
    possible under the ADSL specification, and therefore does not connect
    as well on lower quality lines and especially when further from the
    exchange. To work out what you have, look at the power supply for the
    box - if it is a wall wart type, it should tell you what it puts out.
    Also, look up the manual for the specifications page, and if it is not
    there, then try finding the specs on the manufacturer's site.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 22, 2006
  10. pseudo

    cyril Guest

    Quote You're lucky to get that rate (or the distance isn't that far).

    Which is why I confirmed with the tech the route of the cable.

    Cyril

    cyril, Jul 22, 2006
  11. pseudo

    Guest

    Well, you can tickle my sack and call me jack because at least you're
    doing better than me. After Telecon assured me that I can get fucking
    dsl, I got all the shit I required and proceeded to set it up. Just
    like I've done a 100 times at my old job..but lo and behold I got shit
    all. Upon calling up Telecon that were convinced I was incompetant, and
    sent up some techie without even telling me. After telling the cretin
    that I'm not paying for anything, the techie then told me that I cannot
    get it because of some device on the exchange.

    Well, at least they refunded me. But you'd think that someone living
    just 25 minutes from Auckland CBD would be able to get broadband.
    Useless cunts.

    pseudo wrote:
    > About six months ago I signed up for broadband with Telstraclear, after
    > they assured me that yes, I was in an area with coverage. They sent me
    > the connection pack, including a $99 modem, but it didn't work. After
    > ringing them and shifting the computer closer to the phone jack (was
    > running it on the end of a 10m extension lead), I could send data but not
    > receive, and Telstra told me that I was just on the edge of their
    > coverage. The only way I would be able to get broadband would be to fork
    > out $350 to get the house hardwired, and another $300 or so for a big
    > powerful router.
    >
    > I rent, so I don't want to spend that much money getting the house
    > rewired, and I was hoping that some of you more tech savvy people would be
    > able to tell me if just getting the more powerful router would be worth a
    > shot.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pseudo

    , Jul 23, 2006
  12. In message <>, pseudo wrote:

    > I don't know that I do need a router, that's just what the tech at Telstra
    > told me.

    While it's possible to get ADSL modems that don't do routing (cheap USB
    ones?), it's handy to get an ADSL modem that's also a router. That way it's
    easy to connect multiple PCs up on your LAN to share the ADSL connection.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2006
  13. pseudo

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <e9uvft$im$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >While it's possible to get ADSL modems that don't do routing (cheap USB
    >ones?), it's handy to get an ADSL modem that's also a router. That way it's
    >easy to connect multiple PCs up on your LAN to share the ADSL connection.

    I just set up a business ADSL connection via Xtra. The default (free)
    self-install kit modem is a sinlge-port D-Link DSL-502T. For an extra $60
    they'll ship a DSL-504T (4 port) instead.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Jul 23, 2006
  14. pseudo

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <e9uvft$im$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > >
    > > While it's possible to get ADSL modems that don't do routing (cheap
    > > USB ones?), it's handy to get an ADSL modem that's also a router.
    > > That way it's easy to connect multiple PCs up on your LAN to share
    > > the ADSL connection.

    > I just set up a business ADSL connection via Xtra. The default (free)
    > self-install kit modem is a sinlge-port D-Link DSL-502T. For an extra
    > $60 they'll ship a DSL-504T (4 port) instead.

    Does it do DHCP? Firewall? Very configurable? Any good? I guess I should be
    Googling, just thought you might know...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2006
  15. pseudo

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Don Hills wrote:
    >> In article <e9uvft$im$>,
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > While it's possible to get ADSL modems that don't do routing
    >> > (cheap USB ones?), it's handy to get an ADSL modem that's
    >> > also a router. That way it's easy to connect multiple PCs up
    >> > on your LAN to share the ADSL connection.

    >> I just set up a business ADSL connection via Xtra. The default
    >> (free) self-install kit modem is a sinlge-port D-Link DSL-502T.
    >> For an extra $60 they'll ship a DSL-504T (4 port) instead.

    > Does it do DHCP? Firewall? Very configurable? Any good? I guess
    > I should be Googling, just thought you might know...

    My sister-in-law has one (of both), and DHCP: yes (including static
    IP assignments), Firewall: I think so, ADSL2 ready (IIRC), dyndns
    support, that's about all I know.

    Mark C, Jul 24, 2006
  16. pseudo

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Don Hills wrote:

    > > > I just set up a business ADSL connection via Xtra. The default
    > > > (free) self-install kit modem is a sinlge-port D-Link DSL-502T.
    > > > For an extra $60 they'll ship a DSL-504T (4 port) instead.

    > > Does it do DHCP? Firewall? Very configurable? Any good? I guess
    > > I should be Googling, just thought you might know...

    > My sister-in-law has one (of both), and DHCP: yes (including static
    > IP assignments), Firewall: I think so, ADSL2 ready (IIRC), dyndns
    > support, that's about all I know.

    Thanks Mark, just curious. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2006
  17. pseudo

    SNOman Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Jo wrote:
    >> You live roughly 7km from the exchange?

    > We live 3km from the exchange, and this is right on (or past) the limit of
    > Telecom's ADSL. 5km of cable length is the limit, apparently.
    >
    > Telecom's coverage is actually very limited, despite what they claim.
    >

    > Peter

    Distance from the "exchange" has nothing to do with it these days as
    more and more equipment is getting installed in roadside cabinets.

    SNOman, Jul 25, 2006
  18. pseudo

    SNOman Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > cyril wrote:
    >> I live 4.2km from the switch, confirmed by the Telecom tech as to the
    >> route. My touter normally shows somewhere between 4.5-5Mb/s connection
    >> rate.

    > You're lucky to get that rate (or the distance isn't that far).
    > http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/
    >
    > The theoretical max distance is 18,000 ft or 5.5 km (wire distance).
    > http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm
    >

    > Peter

    Maybe he's got a big powerful router ;-)

    SNOman, Jul 25, 2006