    Any nice people want to help me out?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark C, May 3, 2009

  2. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > I would like a copy of Vista's win32k.sys file.
    > %windir%\system32\win32k.sys (I think).
    >
    > I'd like x86 = 32bit version as well as x64 64 bit version.
    >
    > Does anybody care to send me copies?
    >
    > Post to usenet broken into bits, or rapidshare or similar or even
    > email (I can provide an email address).
    >
    > Any nice people want to help me out?

    Sorry Mark, I don't have Vista or easy access to any Vista machines.

    Hopefully someone else...
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 3, 2009

  3. On 03 May 2009 08:43:38 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >I would like a copy of Vista's win32k.sys file.
    >%windir%\system32\win32k.sys (I think).
    >
    >I'd like x86 = 32bit version as well as x64 64 bit version.
    >
    >Does anybody care to send me copies?
    >
    >Post to usenet broken into bits, or rapidshare or similar or even
    >email (I can provide an email address).
    >
    >Any nice people want to help me out?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mark

    I presume that you are wanting:

    C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys

    from a Vista SP1 32-bit system with up to date patches?

    Download from:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/228562838/win32k.zip.html

    and delete the file when you have it:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/228562838/win32k.zip.html?killcode=3098192279077221654

    Stephen Worthington, May 3, 2009
  4. In message <0042fd25$0$2503$>, Mark C wrote:

    > I would like a copy of Vista's win32k.sys file.
    > %windir%\system32\win32k.sys (I think).
    >
    > Does anybody care to send me copies?

    So this place has become The Pirate Bay now?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 3, 2009
  5. Mark C

    bok Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > I would like a copy of Vista's win32k.sys file.
    > %windir%\system32\win32k.sys (I think).
    >
    > I'd like x86 = 32bit version as well as x64 64 bit version.

    Mark,

    You can download the x64 version from here:
    http://www.boktek.com/public/win32ksys_x64.zip

    File version: 6.0.6001.18211 (from Vista Enterprise x64 + SP1 + updates)
    same file version as the one in Vista Ultimate x86 + SP1 + updates.

    Let me know when you have grabbed it and I will remove it. I also have
    an x86 version but I notice someone else has provided that for you.

    cheers
    bok

    bok, May 3, 2009
  6. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers>
    wrote in news::

    > I presume that you are wanting:
    > C:\Windows\System32\win32k.sys
    > Download from:

    Thank you!

    If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
    'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

    (& killed)

    Mark C, May 4, 2009
  7. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    bok <> wrote in

    Mark C, May 4, 2009
  8. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > bok <> wrote in
    >
    >> You can download the x64 version from here:

    > Thank you!
    >
    > If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
    > 'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

    Care to elaborate and tell us the results?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 4, 2009
  9. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:

    >> If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
    >> 'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

    > Care to elaborate and tell us the results?

    I will do, but I'll analyse Vista first.

    Before I tell you, can you figure out what the problem might be?:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/pointer-bal.mspx

    The problem rather jumped out at me, although nobody else seems to
    have seen it...

    --
    Mark

    Mark C, May 5, 2009
  10. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:

    >>> If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
    >>> 'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

    >> Care to elaborate and tell us the results?

    > I will do, but I'll analyse Vista first.
    >
    > Before I tell you, can you figure out what the problem might be?:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/pointer-bal.mspx
    >
    > The problem rather jumped out at me, although nobody else seems to
    > have seen it...

    Hmmm, no, I didn't see anything there that seems off although it's hardly my
    field and I admit to not understanding it all.

    My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with a relatively
    high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).

    I've even gone back to a corded mouse to try to improve things but I often
    find myself trying to move the mouse ever-so-slightly so I can get it over a
    window edge to re-size etc.. If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the
    mouse too far to get from screen edge to edge.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2009
  11. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
    > a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
    >
    > I've even gone back to a corded mouse to try to improve things
    > but I often find myself trying to move the mouse
    > ever-so-slightly so I can get it over a window edge to re-size
    > etc.. If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
    > far to get from screen edge to edge.

    Do you have the Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer Options>'Enhance pointer
    precision' checkbox enabled?

    There are subtle problems with it, but mainly it does what you need:
    Replaces the Windows 2000 pointer acceleration radio buttons.
    Turning it on makes slow mouse movements move the pointer approx 1/2
    normal speed and accelerates quick movements to allow you to scoot
    across the screen. (Best used with the mouse sensitivity set on the
    middle setting.)

    (BUT... If you have a high CPI mouse and/or have boosted your USB
    mouse update rate from the standard 125 Hz, it doesn't work as well
    without tweaking...)

    --
    Mark

    Mark C, May 6, 2009
  12. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
    >> a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
    >>
    >> I've even gone back to a corded mouse to try to improve things
    >> but I often find myself trying to move the mouse
    >> ever-so-slightly so I can get it over a window edge to re-size
    >> etc.. If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
    >> far to get from screen edge to edge.

    > Do you have the Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer Options>'Enhance pointer
    > precision' checkbox enabled?

    Yes. I've tried it both ways and while the "Enhance.." helps it's still
    difficult at times.

    > There are subtle problems with it, but mainly it does what you need:
    > Replaces the Windows 2000 pointer acceleration radio buttons.
    > Turning it on makes slow mouse movements move the pointer approx 1/2
    > normal speed and accelerates quick movements to allow you to scoot
    > across the screen. (Best used with the mouse sensitivity set on the
    > middle setting.)

    I can't seem to find a sensitivity setting. Do you mean pointer speed? If
    so, unless it's on fast or near it I need a huge area of desk space to use
    my mouse on (and longer arms, <g>).

    > (BUT... If you have a high CPI mouse and/or have boosted your USB
    > mouse update rate from the standard 125 Hz, it doesn't work as well
    > without tweaking...)

    All standard here...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2009
  13. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
    > a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
    >
    > If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
    > far to get from screen edge to edge.

    That doesn't sound right.

    With a quick flick of the wrist my mouse pointer moves right across
    the 1680 width of the screen in ~ 1 inch of movement.

    Have you ever run or loaded a utility or registry hack to remove
    acceleration for gaming? "CPL mouse fix" or the like?

    Check the registry @ HKCU>Control Panel>Mouse>SmoothMouse[XY]Curve
    They should look like this:
    "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,15,6e,00,00,00,00,00,
    00,00,40,\
    01,00,00,00,00,00,29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,28,00,00,00,00,00
    "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,
    00,cd,4c,\
    05,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00

    If not, then make it look like that and reboot.

    Mark

    Mark C, May 8, 2009
  14. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
    >> a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
    >>
    >> If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
    >> far to get from screen edge to edge.

    > That doesn't sound right.
    >
    > With a quick flick of the wrist my mouse pointer moves right across
    > the 1680 width of the screen in ~ 1 inch of movement.

    Well, with pointer speed set at max it takes more than four inches mouse
    movement to get from one side t'other, regardless of speed of mouse. At half
    speed it takes six inches.

    > Have you ever run or loaded a utility or registry hack to remove
    > acceleration for gaming? "CPL mouse fix" or the like?

    No but this is a ThinkPad and has trackpoint and/or ultranav software loaded
    for the touchpad.

    > Check the registry @ HKCU>Control Panel>Mouse>SmoothMouse[XY]Curve
    > They should look like this:
    > "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,15,6e,00,00,00,00,00,
    > 00,00,40,\
    > 01,00,00,00,00,00,29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,28,00,00,00,00,00
    > "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,
    > 00,cd,4c,\
    > 05,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00
    >
    > If not, then make it look like that and reboot.

    Sheeeeit, I ain't *that* confortable editing the registry. Mind you, I might
    have to try it. It's likely that or RSI.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 8, 2009
  15. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    >> If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
    >> 'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

    > Care to elaborate and tell us the results?

    The results are that in Windows XP, Microsoft have become confused
    while thinking about how mouse inputs make the pointer move, have
    implemented XP mouse handling based on that confusion and have
    carried that confusion through to Vista.

    In Vista they have optimised various parts of mouse handling for
    performance and removed a few glitches, but have retained the
    confused thinking.

    To compound the problem (or possibly as an attempt to counteract it?)
    they divided by a factor where they should have multiplied by the
    same factor instead.

    To see the undesirable effects of their confusion, you need to turn
    XP pointer acceleration on ('Enhance pointer precision') and play
    with the display refresh rate and the display DPI setting, but since
    that doesn't seem to work for you, likely you would not be able to
    see the effects.

    I'll write more about it if anybody cares to hear the details...

    --
    Mark

    Mark C, May 10, 2009
  16. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    >>> If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
    >>> 'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

    >> Care to elaborate and tell us the results?

    > The results are that in Windows XP, Microsoft have become confused
    > while thinking about how mouse inputs make the pointer move, have
    > implemented XP mouse handling based on that confusion and have
    > carried that confusion through to Vista.
    >
    > In Vista they have optimised various parts of mouse handling for
    > performance and removed a few glitches, but have retained the
    > confused thinking.
    >
    > To compound the problem (or possibly as an attempt to counteract it?)
    > they divided by a factor where they should have multiplied by the
    > same factor instead.
    >
    > To see the undesirable effects of their confusion, you need to turn
    > XP pointer acceleration on ('Enhance pointer precision') and play
    > with the display refresh rate and the display DPI setting, but since
    > that doesn't seem to work for you, likely you would not be able to
    > see the effects.
    >
    > I'll write more about it if anybody cares to hear the details...

    Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse handling is
    improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 12, 2009
  17. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse
    > handling is improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...

    There is one Vista improvement that I have been contemplating back-
    porting to XP.

    Slow movement down and right on XP with the 'Enhance pointer
    precision' checkbox turned on causes the mouse to wobble erratically
    and slow down. (I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if your
    screen refresh rate is > 100 Hz, then instead it wobbles erratically
    and speeds up when going up and left instead).
    That has largely been fixed in Vista.

    I WOULD like to get a Windows 7 win32k.sys so I can how or if that
    differs from Vista/XP...

    Mark C, May 12, 2009
  18. On 12 May 2009 00:11:01 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >

    >> Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse
    >> handling is improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...

    >There is one Vista improvement that I have been contemplating back-
    >porting to XP.
    >
    >Slow movement down and right on XP with the 'Enhance pointer
    >precision' checkbox turned on causes the mouse to wobble erratically
    >and slow down. (I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if your
    >screen refresh rate is > 100 Hz, then instead it wobbles erratically
    >and speeds up when going up and left instead).
    >That has largely been fixed in Vista.
    >
    >I WOULD like to get a Windows 7 win32k.sys so I can how or if that
    >differs from Vista/XP...

    I have put the Windows 7 RC1 64 bit file here:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/231951278/win32k.zip.html

    Please use this to delete it when you have it:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/231951278/win32k.zip.html?killcode=4907347745625821628

    Stephen Worthington, May 12, 2009
  19. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >

    >> Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse
    >> handling is improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...

    > There is one Vista improvement that I have been contemplating back-
    > porting to XP.
    >
    > Slow movement down and right on XP with the 'Enhance pointer
    > precision' checkbox turned on causes the mouse to wobble erratically
    > and slow down. (I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if your
    > screen refresh rate is > 100 Hz, then instead it wobbles erratically
    > and speeds up when going up and left instead).
    > That has largely been fixed in Vista.
    >
    > I WOULD like to get a Windows 7 win32k.sys so I can how or if that
    > differs from Vista/XP...

    Ok, thanks.

    Do you know if installing Microsoft Intellipoint would be an improvement?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 12, 2009
  20. Mark C

    wrote in news::

    > I have put the Windows 7 RC1 64 bit file here:
    >
    > http://rapidshare.com/files/231951278/win32k.zip.html

    Thank you for that, I have downloaded it and put it aside.

    Unfortunately, the disassembler tool I use (IDA Free) does not
    disassemble x64 64 bit programs, so I can't use that: I need the 32-
    bit version.

    Sorry I did not specify which version I needed: I did that in another
    post but not this one!

    > Please use this to delete it when you have it:

    Done.

    Mark C, May 12, 2009