I used to have 7 partitions, all of a sudden I have 14. Sigh.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > This is my old autoexec.bat from a boot disk
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    > G:\bin\MSCDEX.EXE /D:HPCDRW
    > PROMPT $E[31;1m$P $E[33;1m
    > PATH=G:\dos50;G:\Cmfiler
    > SET COMSPEC=G:\dos50\COMMAND.COM
    > SET TEMP=O:\temp
    > SET TMP=O:\Temp
    > SET TZ=PST8PDT
    > LOADHIGH G:\DOS50\DOSKEY /BUFFER=128 /INSERT
    >
    > I used comspec as it was a Windows computer and I kept the
    > DOS directory on G: Drive.
    >
    > This also lets you remove the boot Diskette from the drive
    > to insert another disk - it won't look at A:\ for
    > command.com but at the place you comspec'd it.

    Thanks, should come in handy.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 26, 2008

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > wrote:
    >
    >>This is my old autoexec.bat from a boot disk

    > My first post said the config.sys, It's placed in the
    > Autoexec.bat

    Very common mistake :)

    thanatoid, Nov 26, 2008

  3. thanatoid

    Buffalo Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Perhaps it was the .ini file from TC that you copied from
    >> another machind.

    > That was my first thought

    I figured you already thought of that, but I thought I would mention it
    anyway.

    > but then I realized that (thank fubar)
    > there ARE some things that simply ARE impossible, and this was
    > one of them. I am still waiting for a suggestion of what may
    > have caused this - but it won't be the first time if I never
    > find out. Stupid fucking computers.

    >> You said the other machine contained 16
    >> partitions. I'm just guessing because I don't even know
    >> what TC is or does.

    > www.ghisler.com
    >
    >> Is there actually anything in all 14
    >> partitions? Did the sizes of the partitions get smaller?

    > The second 7 repeated the first 7, so the 8th one was C again,
    > etc.
    >
    > As far as the size, they remained the same, so the 7 new
    > partitions were apparently even more "virtual" than usual.
    > Anyway, it's all zero-filled and hopefully dead.
    >
    > Now, I am REALLY enjoying installing Windows from scratch. What
    > a nightmare.

    Win95 is a pretty simple OS overall and I am just wondering why you don't
    install the full version of it, without all the tweaks.
    Even the full Win95 plays games extremely well.
    Anyhow, enjoy your Thanksgiving! :)
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Nov 26, 2008
  4. On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 05:49:10 +0000, thanatoid aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    >> My superior g00gle sk1LL2 h4c3 mucH gr473n355:
    >>
    >> http://www.ranish.com/part/faq.htm
    >>
    >> FYI

    > Thanks. (I suppose it would be rather bad form to point out you
    > misspelled greatness ;-)
    >

    > BION, when I ran Ranish today it did not show the same problems.
    > But I still had 14 partitions in Windows. So I gave up and zero-
    > filled. Now, after several hours of playing "installing windows
    > 95" and having tweakUI malfunction after every reboot (memories
    > of dark years before I tamed the bloody thing are coming back),
    > PLUS I was forced to actually use Windows Explorer for a while
    > and am still trying to recover, I am going to look for a nice
    > Acronis image, restore it, and just delete everything I don't
    > want. I wanted a really clean machine, but I don't have the
    > patience for this. I thought I did, I hoped I might, but I
    > don't.
    >
    > Sigh. Linux HAS to be easier.

    It is :)
    I have a goldfish-like attention span...wot was the original project
    supposed to be *for*?

    http://www.mykeru.com

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 26, 2008
  5. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in

    >> Now, I am REALLY enjoying installing Windows from scratch.
    >> What a nightmare.

    > Win95 is a pretty simple OS overall and I am just wondering
    > why you don't install the full version of it, without all
    > the tweaks. Even the full Win95 plays games extremely well.

    I'm too anal-retentive, I have to have my tweaks. LOTS of them.
    Arrows on shortcut icons are NOT acceptable, etc.

    Anyway, after a few MOST ENJOYABLE hours I gave up and restored
    a 2yr old Acronis image and I am just deleting what I don't need
    anymore.

    > Anyhow, enjoy your Thanksgiving! :)

    Thanks and likewise.

    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
  6. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühwØ£f <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> Sigh. Linux HAS to be easier.

    > It is :)
    > I have a goldfish-like attention span...wot was the
    > original project supposed to be *for*?

    Atari, DOS, and 95 games. That's why I want a machine with ALL
    other irrelevant Windows stuff OFF IT (it's called anal-
    retentive).

    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
  7. thanatoid

    Cork Soaker Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Just a guess
    >> but maybe when you restored the drive from
    >> image...something went wrong.
    >>
    >> Try deleting all partitions
    >>
    >> then restore for image again and see what happens

    > I Googled more and it looks like I'm going to have to zero-fill
    > the whole drive... at which point I might as well do a clean
    > game-targeted (no telephony, internet, etc) install of W95B.
    >
    > Thanks.

    What year is it?

    Cork Soaker, Nov 28, 2008
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Cork Soaker <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "philo" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> Just a guess
    >>> but maybe when you restored the drive from
    >>> image...something went wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Try deleting all partitions
    >>>
    >>> then restore for image again and see what happens

    >> I Googled more and it looks like I'm going to have to
    >> zero-fill the whole drive... at which point I might as
    >> well do a clean game-targeted (no telephony, internet,
    >> etc) install of W95B.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > What year is it?

    It seem strange that I have to tell you, but it's November 2008.

    Of course, you're just trying to be funny (nice try), but a
    well-tweaked 166MHz 95B computer runs faster (for basic
    functions - it DOES take 5 hrs to convert an audio file, which
    is why I bought this one which is now also my internet computer
    - hence the "old games" machine project) than any XP or Vista
    box.

    And it does anything a reasonable person needs to do. This does
    NOT include DL'g 20GB movies and burning them to DVD's or
    playing 3GB games at 200 fps, of course. Doing such things are
    NOT reasonable activities, IMHO.

    And "Asteroids" is "Asteroids", whether it's a 4KB Atari file or
    a 2GB "new and improved" file with plenty of ugly graphics,
    stupid sound effects, and lots of other bloat to make sure you
    buy a new computer to play it.

    Etc.

    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
  9. thanatoid

    Guest

    §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:

    >>>Atari, DOS, and 95 games. That's why I want a machine with ALL
    >>>other irrelevant Windows stuff OFF IT (it's called anal-
    >>>retentive).

    >> I'd add the Windows 3.0 WEP with the original Tetris

    >I still have that on a floppy somwhere :)
    >I set up a w95 box for Doom & Heretic & solitaire so when I wake up in the
    >middle of the night I'd have something to do.

    Doom and Quake2 here, but have you tried M.A.M.E.?
    http://mamedev.org/ the program is free and you can play all of the
    old games, stand up arcades, Atari, NES, and the rest.

    The ROMS can be found in alt.games.mame (the easiest way)

    And thanatoid, there is a DOS version, no longer being maintained but
    available.
    --

    Macy's Parade, Rick Rolled
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i7B5aHafc0

    , Nov 28, 2008
  10. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    >>> I'd add the Windows 3.0 WEP with the original Tetris

    >>I still have that on a floppy somwhere :)
    >>I set up a w95 box for Doom & Heretic & solitaire so when I
    >>wake up in the middle of the night I'd have something to
    >>do.

    > Doom and Quake2 here, but have you tried M.A.M.E.?
    > http://mamedev.org/ the program is free and you can play
    > all of the old games, stand up arcades, Atari, NES, and the
    > rest.
    >
    > The ROMS can be found in alt.games.mame (the easiest way)
    >
    > And thanatoid, there is a DOS version, no longer being
    > maintained but available.

    Thanks. I have heard of mame, but I have 0 experience with
    anything pre-DOS except Atari 2600, so I just used Stella which
    worked fine. But I'll look into it.

    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
  11. thanatoid

    Cork Soaker Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Cork Soaker <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> "philo" <> wrote in
    >>>
    >>> <SNIP>

    >>> I Googled more and it looks like I'm going to have to
    >>> zero-fill the whole drive... at which point I might as
    >>> well do a clean game-targeted (no telephony, internet,
    >>> etc) install of W95B.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> What year is it?

    > It seem strange that I have to tell you, but it's November 2008.
    >
    > Of course, you're just trying to be funny (nice try), but a
    > well-tweaked 166MHz 95B computer runs faster (for basic
    > functions - it DOES take 5 hrs to convert an audio file, which
    > is why I bought this one which is now also my internet computer
    > - hence the "old games" machine project) than any XP or Vista
    > box.

    No. This was my point.

    Cork Soaker, Dec 2, 2008