I used to have 7 partitions, all of a sudden I have 14. Sigh.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Hi gang.

    Here's a weird one.

    I am trying to make my old 166MHz into a DOS/95 game machine.

    It still has an 8.4 Quantum drive, runs fine. Has 7 partitions.
    Always did.

    I tried to install Windows, it wouldn't. I can't remember the
    message, whatever.

    I restored an Acronis Image of a year old or so-setup. I deleted
    most of it since I won't need it. I renamed Windows OLDWIN and
    installed Windows from the original OEM CD, leaving out all the
    stuff I will never need, like internet, disk compression, etc.

    So far so good. I installed my graphics card software (Matrox
    Mystique). OK.

    I installed Total Commander and since I could not think of where
    the ini file was (it /was/ in OLDWIN of course but I had deleted
    it already) - plus I make small improvements to it all the time
    - I copied the ini file to it from /this/ machine - /this/
    machine has 16 partitions (c-r + CD drive). I changed a few
    things in the ini file, like the shortcuts to some partitions,
    etc.

    A short time after I did that, instead of showing the 7
    partitions, TC started showing 14.
    c,d,e,f,g,h,i AND THEN c(j), d(k), etc. all the way to i(p), and
    Q is the CDR drive now.

    I thought TC went nuts, but the SAME thing shows in WE (as much
    as I hated even opening it).

    Fdisk in DOS shows the correct (7) partitions and no other info.
    However, Ranish Partition Manager shows 14 and says there are
    problems with half of them (I kind of gathered there were), and
    that "partitions overlap", among a few other statements I either
    can't understand or can't remember.

    Questions:

    1. WTF happened?

    2. I typed fdisk /mbr, no change.

    3. What do I do?
    a) I could restore another Acronis Image and do the same
    thing as before, basically, /hoping/ nothing weird happens.
    b) I could format c: and install windows again, unless it
    refuses to again (a question in itself - I seem to recall
    "incorrect COMSPEC=" but Googling just led to programmer stuff,
    in which case I'd restore an Acronis image again and keep going.
    c: I could install MS-DOS 6.21 from 4 floppies and let it
    make one 8.4GB partition (as it warns it is going to do unless I
    exit it) and then fdisk 6 or so partitions, format, and try to
    install Windows.

    or I could do the /right/ thing, if someone tells me what that
    might be.

    Thanks for any help. This is one of the weirdest things that
    I've ever seen happen.
    t.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008

  2. thanatoid

    Tony Guest

    Well i'm still waiting for Chuckcar on this question. 166MHz is about
    his speed.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 25, 2008

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Tony <> wrote in

    > Well i'm still waiting for Chuckcar on this question.
    > 166MHz is about his speed.

    <SNIP>

    You do realize 166MHz (or 3GHz) has NOTHING to do with the
    problem?

    thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008
  4. thanatoid

    Tony Guest

    You must realize Chuckcar's main computer is a 166MHz pentium II.

    Tony, Nov 25, 2008
  5. On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:26:09 +0000, thanatoid aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > Hi gang.
    >
    > Here's a weird one.
    >
    > I am trying to make my old 166MHz into a DOS/95 game machine.

    Wipe drive with some type of proggy that will write zeros to all the
    sectors and start over with a clean disk.

    http://www.mykeru.com

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 25, 2008
  6. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > Hi gang.
    >
    > a) I could restore another Acronis Image and do the same
    > thing as before, basically, /hoping/ nothing weird happens.
    > b) I could format c: and install windows again, unless it
    > refuses to again (a question in itself - I seem to recall
    > "incorrect COMSPEC=" but Googling just led to programmer stuff,
    > in which case I'd restore an Acronis image again and keep going.
    > c: I could install MS-DOS 6.21 from 4 floppies and let it
    > make one 8.4GB partition (as it warns it is going to do unless I
    > exit it) and then fdisk 6 or so partitions, format, and try to
    > install Windows.
    >
    > or I could do the /right/ thing, if someone tells me what that
    > might be.
    >
    > Thanks for any help. This is one of the weirdest things that
    > I've ever seen happen.

    1. Look at autoexec.bat and config.sys. Specifically, you're looking for
    lines which assign/allocate drive letters. You can assign driver letters
    but not have those letters exist. The autoexec.bat parameter lastdrive
    should be set to J: at the highest if there *is* no mistake here.
    Otherwise, you make existing partitions unaccessable. The reason for this
    letter is: A and B for floppys, C-J for your 7 partitions and the CDROM
    drive.

    2. There *is* only one hard drive in the machine right?

    3. Check that there's nothing wrong with dblspace.ini

    You *do* mention not having compression. It might be that you have to have
    doublespace even if you never use it if you follow me. It's been a *long*
    time. Either make sure you don't load the device driver in config.sys or
    that there is nothing wrong with the aforementioned file.

    4. Do you have *any* "assign" or "subst" statements in autoexec.bat

    http://www.computerhope.com/assignhl.htm

    http://www.computerhope.com/substhlp.htm

    Note it says that you *shouldn't* ever use assign under 95.

    This last is an overview of the two boot files from dos. It has the
    only real explanation of lastdrive in it on the site.

    http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

    Also, just to make sure, do *not* load mscdex.exe ever. Your CDROM drive
    will be unaccessable in windows if you do. You may have to use the .sys
    driver for it in config.sys probably. Only include it if it
    doesn't show the drive in windows.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 25, 2008
  7. thanatoid

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:09:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >The autoexec.bat parameter lastdrive
    >should be set to J: at the highest if there *is* no mistake here.

    lastdrive goes in config.sys, not autoexec.bat, chucktard.

    Evan Platt, Nov 25, 2008
  8. thanatoid

    Tony Guest

    But this is one of the areas in which Chuckcar actually knows anything.
    I didn't mean a whole lot just anything. That and his stupid 56K modems
    and his hang-up on digital and analogue.

    Tony, Nov 25, 2008
  9. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Just a guess
    > but maybe when you restored the drive from
    > image...something went wrong.
    >
    > Try deleting all partitions
    >
    > then restore for image again and see what happens

    I Googled more and it looks like I'm going to have to zero-fill
    the whole drive... at which point I might as well do a clean
    game-targeted (no telephony, internet, etc) install of W95B.

    Thanks.

    thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008
  10. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühwØ£f <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:26:09 +0000, thanatoid aided th'
    > terraists with the following claims :
    >
    >> Hi gang.
    >>
    >> Here's a weird one.
    >>
    >> I am trying to make my old 166MHz into a DOS/95 game
    >> machine.
    >>

    > Wipe drive with some type of proggy that will write zeros
    > to all the sectors and start over with a clean disk.

    I tried about 5 partition programs from Hiren's and the ONLY one
    to show the problem was Ranish. (Hooray for Ranish.)

    Now if there was just SOME documentation on how to use it! But
    at least in this case there is nothing to lose - I think your
    advice is going to be what I will have to do - either right
    away or after a few more hours of fucking around.

    Thanks.

    --
    "May you live in Ranish times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008
  11. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    Thanks for all the links and advice. I will look them up and see
    where to go with this - but I'm afraid a zero-fill may be the
    only way to vanquish the evil.

    thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008
  12. thanatoid

    Buffalo Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Hi gang.
    >
    > Here's a weird one.
    >
    > I am trying to make my old 166MHz into a DOS/95 game machine.
    >
    > It still has an 8.4 Quantum drive, runs fine. Has 7 partitions.
    > Always did.
    >
    > I tried to install Windows, it wouldn't. I can't remember the
    > message, whatever.
    >
    > I restored an Acronis Image of a year old or so-setup. I deleted
    > most of it since I won't need it. I renamed Windows OLDWIN and
    > installed Windows from the original OEM CD, leaving out all the
    > stuff I will never need, like internet, disk compression, etc.
    >
    > So far so good. I installed my graphics card software (Matrox
    > Mystique). OK.
    >
    > I installed Total Commander and since I could not think of where
    > the ini file was (it /was/ in OLDWIN of course but I had deleted
    > it already) - plus I make small improvements to it all the time
    > - I copied the ini file to it from /this/ machine - /this/
    > machine has 16 partitions (c-r + CD drive). I changed a few
    > things in the ini file, like the shortcuts to some partitions,
    > etc.
    >
    > A short time after I did that, instead of showing the 7
    > partitions, TC started showing 14.
    > c,d,e,f,g,h,i AND THEN c(j), d(k), etc. all the way to i(p), and
    > Q is the CDR drive now.
    >
    > I thought TC went nuts, but the SAME thing shows in WE (as much
    > as I hated even opening it).
    >
    > Fdisk in DOS shows the correct (7) partitions and no other info.
    > However, Ranish Partition Manager shows 14 and says there are
    > problems with half of them (I kind of gathered there were), and
    > that "partitions overlap", among a few other statements I either
    > can't understand or can't remember.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. WTF happened?
    >
    > 2. I typed fdisk /mbr, no change.
    >
    > 3. What do I do?
    > a) I could restore another Acronis Image and do the same
    > thing as before, basically, /hoping/ nothing weird happens.
    > b) I could format c: and install windows again, unless it
    > refuses to again (a question in itself - I seem to recall
    > "incorrect COMSPEC=" but Googling just led to programmer stuff,
    > in which case I'd restore an Acronis image again and keep going.
    > c: I could install MS-DOS 6.21 from 4 floppies and let it
    > make one 8.4GB partition (as it warns it is going to do unless I
    > exit it) and then fdisk 6 or so partitions, format, and try to
    > install Windows.
    >
    > or I could do the /right/ thing, if someone tells me what that
    > might be.
    >
    > Thanks for any help. This is one of the weirdest things that
    > I've ever seen happen.
    > t.

    Perhaps it was the .ini file from TC that you copied from another machind.
    You said the other machine contained 16 partitions.
    I'm just guessing because I don't even know what TC is or does.
    Is there actually anything in all 14 partitions?
    Did the sizes of the partitions get smaller?

    Buffalo, Nov 25, 2008
  13. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühwØ£f <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:26:09 +0000, thanatoid aided th'
    >> terraists with the following claims :
    >>
    >>> Hi gang.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a weird one.
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to make my old 166MHz into a DOS/95 game
    >>> machine.
    >>>

    >> Wipe drive with some type of proggy that will write zeros
    >> to all the sectors and start over with a clean disk.

    > I tried about 5 partition programs from Hiren's and the ONLY one
    > to show the problem was Ranish. (Hooray for Ranish.)
    >
    > Now if there was just SOME documentation on how to use it! But
    > at least in this case there is nothing to lose - I think your
    > advice is going to be what I will have to do - either right
    > away or after a few more hours of fucking around.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Huh?
    My superior g00gle sk1LL2 h4c3 mucH gr473n355:

    http://www.ranish.com/part/faq.htm

    FYI

    §ñühw¤£f, Nov 25, 2008
  14. thanatoid

    sandy58 Guest

    sandy58, Nov 25, 2008
  15. thanatoid

    Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote:

    >a question in itself - I seem to recall
    >"incorrect COMSPEC=" but Googling just led to programmer stuff,

    ComSpec=where your command.com file is located

    Either REM out that line in the config.sys or point it back to the
    command.com on the Disk

    --

    DUI test
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7225979731273241911

    , Nov 26, 2008
  16. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in

    > Perhaps it was the .ini file from TC that you copied from
    > another machind.

    That was my first thought but then I realized that (thank fubar)
    there ARE some things that simply ARE impossible, and this was
    one of them. I am still waiting for a suggestion of what may
    have caused this - but it won't be the first time if I never
    find out. Stupid fucking computers.

    www.ghisler.com

    > Is there actually anything in all 14
    > partitions? Did the sizes of the partitions get smaller?

    The second 7 repeated the first 7, so the 8th one was C again,
    etc.

    As far as the size, they remained the same, so the 7 new
    partitions were apparently even more "virtual" than usual.
    Anyway, it's all zero-filled and hopefully dead.

    Now, I am REALLY enjoying installing Windows from scratch. What
    a nightmare.

    thanatoid, Nov 26, 2008
  17. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote:
    >
    >>a question in itself - I seem to recall
    >>"incorrect COMSPEC=" but Googling just led to programmer
    >>stuff,

    > ComSpec=where your command.com file is located
    >
    > Either REM out that line in the config.sys or point it back
    > to the command.com on the Disk

    HAH! That would have been WAY too easy! I looked!

    We're talking about an evil computer that /apparently/ just
    wants to be placed in a nice coffin after over 11 years of daily
    overtime grind!

    There was NO SUCH line /anywhere/!

    (In fact I have never seen one in my life, although that's not
    saying much.)

    Thanks anyway. Sigh.

    thanatoid, Nov 26, 2008
  18. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > My superior g00gle sk1LL2 h4c3 mucH gr473n355:
    >
    > http://www.ranish.com/part/faq.htm
    >
    > FYI

    Thanks. (I suppose it would be rather bad form to point out you
    misspelled greatness ;-)

    BION, when I ran Ranish today it did not show the same problems.
    But I still had 14 partitions in Windows. So I gave up and zero-
    filled. Now, after several hours of playing "installing windows
    95" and having tweakUI malfunction after every reboot (memories
    of dark years before I tamed the bloody thing are coming back),
    PLUS I was forced to actually use Windows Explorer for a while
    and am still trying to recover, I am going to look for a nice
    Acronis image, restore it, and just delete everything I don't
    want. I wanted a really clean machine, but I don't have the
    patience for this. I thought I did, I hoped I might, but I
    don't.

    Sigh. Linux HAS to be easier.

    --
    "May you live in rebooting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 26, 2008
  19. thanatoid

    Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>a question in itself - I seem to recall
    >>>"incorrect COMSPEC=" but Googling just led to programmer
    >>>stuff,

    >> ComSpec=where your command.com file is located
    >>
    >> Either REM out that line in the config.sys or point it back
    >> to the command.com on the Disk

    >HAH! That would have been WAY too easy! I looked!
    >
    >We're talking about an evil computer that /apparently/ just
    >wants to be placed in a nice coffin after over 11 years of daily
    >overtime grind!
    >
    >There was NO SUCH line /anywhere/!

    Add it,

    >(In fact I have never seen one in my life, although that's not
    >saying much.)

    This is my old autoexec.bat from a boot disk

    @ECHO OFF
    G:\bin\MSCDEX.EXE /D:HPCDRW
    PROMPT $E[31;1m$P $E[33;1m
    PATH=G:\dos50;G:\Cmfiler
    SET COMSPEC=G:\dos50\COMMAND.COM
    SET TEMP=O:\temp
    SET TMP=O:\Temp
    SET TZ=PST8PDT
    LOADHIGH G:\DOS50\DOSKEY /BUFFER=128 /INSERT

    I used comspec as it was a Windows computer and I kept the DOS
    directory on G: Drive.

    This also lets you remove the boot Diskette from the drive to insert
    another disk - it won't look at A:\ for command.com but at the place
    you comspec'd it.
    --

    Dude Transports 20 bricks on his head
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-iP1jSMlI&fmt=18