I use IE right now--Should I use Firefox or Mozilla?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by BOB, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. BOB

    BOB Guest

    I was wondering should I choose firefox or mozilla?

    Firefox sounds cool cause it has that fox name. But mozilla sounds
    cool cause it has the godzilla name. But the firefox name sounds like
    a fox that's one fire and that sounds bad, but the mozilla name sorta
    sounds like godlizza is slowed down like moooozilla?

    So, which one would you pick for a UBER-Super Duper Newbie?

    I am using IE right now.

    All I know how to do right now is turn on the computer, use the mouse
    and double click and type on the keyboard.

    that's all I know how to do right now.
    When I get messages or errors, or those boxes on the screen [yes, no,
    cancel], those kind, I just panic, cause I don't know what to do and
    just hit the power button on the computer.

    I mention this just to give you all an idea of how much of a newbie I
    am to using web browsers.

    I also got these things trailing around my mouse when I move it
    around, like some kind of delayed trailing effect? Drives me crazy. I
    also have some thing where when I do anything at all it plays that
    intro music, some tada music, and it is really loud and scares me
    everytime I do something.

    It's annoying when I play a song cause I will click something while
    the song is playing and it goes TADA in the middle of the song and I
    jump..

    anyway, i hope SOMEONE can HELP me OUT with THIS problem OF choosing A
    web BROWSER either MOZILLA or FIREFOX. I really WOULD appreciate YOUR
    help WITH this ISSUE.
    k thx bye
    BOB, Apr 15, 2006

  2. BOB

    gwtc Guest

    BOB wrote:
    > I was wondering should I choose firefox or mozilla?
    >
    > Firefox sounds cool cause it has that fox name. But mozilla sounds
    > cool cause it has the godzilla name. But the firefox name sounds like
    > a fox that's one fire and that sounds bad, but the mozilla name sorta
    > sounds like godlizza is slowed down like moooozilla?
    >
    > So, which one would you pick for a UBER-Super Duper Newbie?

    Firefox is just a browser only. Whereas Mozilla is a Suite of
    programs. It includes a browser, Mail/New application, a web page
    Composer and a few other things.

    If all you want is to browse the web, then FF is the way to go.
    However, if you want everything under one roof then Moz is it.

    One cavet: Mozilla has come to an end. However, a new program called
    Seamonkey picks up where Moz left off.

    > I am using IE right now.
    >
    > All I know how to do right now is turn on the computer, use the mouse
    > and double click and type on the keyboard.
    >
    > that's all I know how to do right now.
    > When I get messages or errors, or those boxes on the screen [yes, no,
    > cancel], those kind, I just panic, cause I don't know what to do and
    > just hit the power button on the computer.

    Stop doing that. You should investigate why you're getting those
    messages. They come up for a reason, and most of them can be fixed
    with a tweak or two.

    > I mention this just to give you all an idea of how much of a newbie I
    > am to using web browsers.
    >
    > I also got these things trailing around my mouse when I move it
    > around, like some kind of delayed trailing effect? Drives me crazy.

    Click on Start, Settings, and bring up the Control Panel. Look under
    Mouse and you can end that Pointer Trailing mouse crap off.

    > also have some thing where when I do anything at all it plays that
    > intro music, some tada music, and it is really loud and scares me
    > everytime I do something.

    While you're in the Control Panel, you can click on Sound and change
    the various sounds you hear. You can change to to something else, or
    to None, that way you won't hear anything.

    --
    CIA - Computer Industry Acronyms: MICROSOFT: Most Intelligent
    Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools Teenagers.
    gwtc, Apr 15, 2006

  3. gwtc wrote:
    > BOB wrote:
    >> I was wondering should I choose firefox or mozilla?
    >>
    >> Firefox sounds cool cause it has that fox name. But mozilla sounds
    >> cool cause it has the godzilla name. But the firefox name sounds like
    >> a fox that's one fire and that sounds bad, but the mozilla name sorta
    >> sounds like godlizza is slowed down like moooozilla?
    >>
    >> So, which one would you pick for a UBER-Super Duper Newbie?
    >>

    > Firefox is just a browser only. Whereas Mozilla is a Suite of
    > programs. It includes a browser, Mail/New application, a web page
    > Composer and a few other things.
    >
    > If all you want is to browse the web, then FF is the way to go. However,
    > if you want everything under one roof then Moz is it.
    >
    > One cavet: Mozilla has come to an end. However, a new program called
    > Seamonkey picks up where Moz left off.
    >

    >> I am using IE right now.
    >>
    >> All I know how to do right now is turn on the computer, use the mouse
    >> and double click and type on the keyboard.
    >>
    >> that's all I know how to do right now.
    >> When I get messages or errors, or those boxes on the screen [yes, no,
    >> cancel], those kind, I just panic, cause I don't know what to do and
    >> just hit the power button on the computer.

    > Stop doing that. You should investigate why you're getting those
    > messages. They come up for a reason, and most of them can be fixed with
    > a tweak or two.
    >
    >> I mention this just to give you all an idea of how much of a newbie I
    >> am to using web browsers.
    >>
    >> I also got these things trailing around my mouse when I move it
    >> around, like some kind of delayed trailing effect? Drives me crazy.

    > Click on Start, Settings, and bring up the Control Panel. Look under
    > Mouse and you can end that Pointer Trailing mouse crap off.

    >> also have some thing where when I do anything at all it plays that
    >> intro music, some tada music, and it is really loud and scares me
    >> everytime I do something.

    > While you're in the Control Panel, you can click on Sound and change the
    > various sounds you hear. You can change to to something else, or to
    > None, that way you won't hear anything.
    >

    >> It's annoying when I play a song cause I will click something while
    >> the song is playing and it goes TADA in the middle of the song and I
    >> jump..
    >>
    >> anyway, i hope SOMEONE can HELP me OUT with THIS problem OF choosing A
    >> web BROWSER either MOZILLA or FIREFOX. I really WOULD appreciate YOUR
    >> help WITH this ISSUE.
    >> k thx bye

    Somehow I missed how to get Mozilla in favor of FireFox and Thunderbird,
    but I would like to have a composer. Can I go back, say I'm sorry, and
    download Mozilla and then replace the other two without much more work
    than setting a few preferences?
    Gualtier Malde, Apr 15, 2006
  4. BOB

    gwtc Guest

    Gualtier Malde wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>BOB wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was wondering should I choose firefox or mozilla?
    >>>
    >>>Firefox sounds cool cause it has that fox name. But mozilla sounds
    >>>cool cause it has the godzilla name. But the firefox name sounds like
    >>>a fox that's one fire and that sounds bad, but the mozilla name sorta
    >>>sounds like godlizza is slowed down like moooozilla?
    >>>
    >>>So, which one would you pick for a UBER-Super Duper Newbie?
    >>>

    >>Firefox is just a browser only. Whereas Mozilla is a Suite of
    >>programs. It includes a browser, Mail/New application, a web page
    >>Composer and a few other things.
    >>
    >>If all you want is to browse the web, then FF is the way to go. However,
    >>if you want everything under one roof then Moz is it.
    >>
    >>One cavet: Mozilla has come to an end. However, a new program called
    >>Seamonkey picks up where Moz left off.
    >>

    >>>I am using IE right now.
    >>>
    >>>All I know how to do right now is turn on the computer, use the mouse
    >>>and double click and type on the keyboard.
    >>>
    >>>that's all I know how to do right now.
    >>>When I get messages or errors, or those boxes on the screen [yes, no,
    >>>cancel], those kind, I just panic, cause I don't know what to do and
    >>>just hit the power button on the computer.

    >>Stop doing that. You should investigate why you're getting those
    >>messages. They come up for a reason, and most of them can be fixed with
    >>a tweak or two.
    >>

    >>>I mention this just to give you all an idea of how much of a newbie I
    >>>am to using web browsers.
    >>>
    >>>I also got these things trailing around my mouse when I move it
    >>>around, like some kind of delayed trailing effect? Drives me crazy.

    >>Click on Start, Settings, and bring up the Control Panel. Look under
    >>Mouse and you can end that Pointer Trailing mouse crap off.

    >>>also have some thing where when I do anything at all it plays that
    >>>intro music, some tada music, and it is really loud and scares me
    >>>everytime I do something.

    >>While you're in the Control Panel, you can click on Sound and change the
    >>various sounds you hear. You can change to to something else, or to
    >>None, that way you won't hear anything.
    >>

    >>>It's annoying when I play a song cause I will click something while
    >>>the song is playing and it goes TADA in the middle of the song and I
    >>>jump..
    >>>
    >>>anyway, i hope SOMEONE can HELP me OUT with THIS problem OF choosing A
    >>>web BROWSER either MOZILLA or FIREFOX. I really WOULD appreciate YOUR
    >>>help WITH this ISSUE.
    >>>k thx bye
    >>>

    > Somehow I missed how to get Mozilla in favor of FireFox and Thunderbird,
    > but I would like to have a composer. Can I go back, say I'm sorry, and
    > download Mozilla and then replace the other two without much more work
    > than setting a few preferences?

    you can have Mozilla and FF and TB installed with no problems, and
    even have them all running at the same time. I do, with no problems
    whatsoever.

    When you install Moz, it will ask if you want to import your mail and
    other settings.

    You can download Moz 1.7.12 from here:
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/

    but like I said, Moz is dead, and Seamonkey is taking over where Moz
    left off: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/

    gwtc, Apr 15, 2006
  5. BOB

    pezoids Guest

    Aslo sounds like you should scan your computer with an antivirus program and
    an anti-adware program... it sounds like your PC is infected with all those
    error messages. here's links to 2 good freebies:

    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

    pezoids, Apr 15, 2006
  6. BOB

    Tom Allen Guest

    BOB wrote:
    > I was wondering should I choose firefox or mozilla?
    >
    > Firefox sounds cool cause it has that fox name. But mozilla sounds
    > cool cause it has the godzilla name. But the firefox name sounds like
    > a fox that's one fire and that sounds bad, but the mozilla name sorta
    > sounds like godlizza is slowed down like moooozilla?
    >
    > So, which one would you pick for a UBER-Super Duper Newbie?
    >
    > I am using IE right now.

    Firefox.

    I say this because on the off-chance that you get tired of being a
    newbie and you want to tweak the settings a little bit, FF is much, much
    easier. There are a host of mini-utilities for FF called "extensions"
    that make life a little bit easier for regular browsing, things that
    make FF outdo IE by a wide margin.

    For example, one extension allows you to move your mouse slightly to
    navigate Forward and Backward through a website; once you get used to it
    you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

    Yes, the same extensions are available for Mozz (and for the
    replacement, Seamonkey), but managing the extensions is much easier for
    newbs with FF.
    Tom Allen, Apr 16, 2006
  7. BOB

    RichardS Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:33:46 GMT, Tom Allen
    <> wrote:

    >I say this because on the off-chance that you get tired of being a
    >newbie and you want to tweak the settings a little bit, FF is much, much
    >easier. There are a host of mini-utilities for FF called "extensions"
    >that make life a little bit easier for regular browsing, things that
    >make FF outdo IE by a wide margin.

    I've been using Foxfire for about 3 weeks and like it ... except it
    won't work with PDF files which I access daily (yes I got Foxit) and
    yesterday I found that I cannot open MP3 files I download with
    Foxfire. I may have to go back to IE since I still have to use it so
    much to get other files that won't work in FF.
    RichardS, Apr 16, 2006
  8. BOB

    none Guest

    RichardS <> wrote in

    > I've been using Foxfire for about 3 weeks and like it ... except it
    > won't work with PDF files which I access daily (yes I got Foxit) and
    > yesterday I found that I cannot open MP3 files I download with
    > Foxfire. I may have to go back to IE since I still have to use it so
    > much to get other files that won't work in FF.

    Why would you expect a web browser to play MP3 files?
    none, Apr 16, 2006
  9. BOB

    Ed Mullen Guest

    none wrote:
    > RichardS <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've been using Foxfire for about 3 weeks and like it ... except it
    >> won't work with PDF files which I access daily (yes I got Foxit) and
    >> yesterday I found that I cannot open MP3 files I download with
    >> Foxfire. I may have to go back to IE since I still have to use it so
    >> much to get other files that won't work in FF.
    >>

    > Why would you expect a web browser to play MP3 files?

    He doesn't. He said that mp3 files downloaded with FF will not open.
    Didn't say what he uses for an mp3 player.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Apr 16, 2006
  10. BOB

    Ed Mullen Guest

    RichardS wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:33:46 GMT, Tom Allen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I say this because on the off-chance that you get tired of being a
    >> newbie and you want to tweak the settings a little bit, FF is much, much
    >> easier. There are a host of mini-utilities for FF called "extensions"
    >> that make life a little bit easier for regular browsing, things that
    >> make FF outdo IE by a wide margin.

    > I've been using Foxfire for about 3 weeks and like it ... except it
    > won't work with PDF files which I access daily (yes I got Foxit)

    Try deleting (or renaming) the mimeTypes.rdf file in your profile
    folder. FF should then prompt you the next time you try to open a .pdf
    file.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Apr 16, 2006
  11. BOB

    RichardS Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:19:12 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Try deleting (or renaming) the mimeTypes.rdf file in your profile
    >folder. FF should then prompt you the next time you try to open a .pdf
    >file.

    Thanks for the tip Ed
    RichardS, Apr 16, 2006