I use ACDSee 5

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter O'Callaghan, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. I use ACDSee 5. It is wonderful! It handles all file types. You can
    search several databases it helps create. All in all a great system.
    Peter O'Callaghan, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Peter O'Callaghan

    Pepe Guest

    BUT it crashes often :(

    Pepe

    Pepe, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Peter O'Callaghan

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Peter O'Callaghan" <> wrote in message
    news:AsbRb.4702$...
    > I use ACDSee 5. It is wonderful! It handles all file types. You can
    > search several databases it helps create. All in all a great system.

    How nice of you to tell us this.
    Alan D-W, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Peter O'Callaghan

    Guest

    No it doesn't.

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:05:26 +0100, "Pepe" <> wrote:

    >BUT it crashes often :(
    >
    >Pepe

    >-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
    , Jan 26, 2004
  5. Peter O'Callaghan

    Mark M Guest

    "Pepe" <> wrote in message
    > BUT it crashes often :(

    Better check your machine...
    ....Version 5 is extremely stable.
    Mark M, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Peter O'Callaghan

    Michael Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in news:G1mRb.821$tP1.143@fed1read07:

    > "Pepe" <> wrote in message
    >> BUT it crashes often :(

    > Better check your machine...
    > ...Version 5 is extremely stable.

    But what to check? ACDSee has not answered my request for help. With nearly
    everyhing else idle ACDSee 5.0.1 locks up randomly. 2.4 GHz P4, plenty of
    memory, latest updates, latest drivers, etc.
    Michael, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Peter O'Callaghan

    SD Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > "Mark M" <> wrote in news:G1mRb.821$tP1.143@fed1read07:
    >

    >>"Pepe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>BUT it crashes often :(

    >>Better check your machine...
    >>...Version 5 is extremely stable.
    >>

    > But what to check? ACDSee has not answered my request for help. With nearly
    > everyhing else idle ACDSee 5.0.1 locks up randomly. 2.4 GHz P4, plenty of
    > memory, latest updates, latest drivers, etc.

    tried uninstalling and reinstalling acdsee? does it lock up on
    particular kinds of files? do not upgrade to 6 :), I tried 6 and it
    brings anything to a crawl while its loading a directory.. 5 is the
    best, works fine even on p3 667
    SD, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Peter O'Callaghan

    allegro Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:05:26 +0100, "Pepe" <> wrote:

    >BUT it crashes often :(
    >
    >Pepe

    I have no problems with version 5.
    6.0 on the other hand is another story.
    allegro, Jan 27, 2004
  9. Peter O'Callaghan

    Gill Couto Guest

    The only problem I've had with newer ACDSee versions is while browsing
    a folder with the auto-refresh option on and a preview window. If you
    scan an image into the folder, the refresh can get stuck and either
    hang the app or crash your machine. Try hiding the preview window and
    turning off auto-refresh.

    I stick with the classic version 2.44 because it is very quick and has
    all the features I'm interested in without fluffy extras. It has
    never crashed even once.

    gill
    www.gillcouto.com

    Gill Couto, Jan 27, 2004
  10. Peter O'Callaghan

    SD Guest

    Gill Couto wrote:

    > The only problem I've had with newer ACDSee versions is while browsing a
    > folder with the auto-refresh option on and a preview window. If you
    > scan an image into the folder, the refresh can get stuck and either hang
    > the app or crash your machine. Try hiding the preview window and
    > turning off auto-refresh.
    >
    > I stick with the classic version 2.44 because it is very quick and has
    > all the features I'm interested in without fluffy extras. It has never
    > crashed even once.
    >
    > gill
    > www.gillcouto.com

    Well 5 is just like that. I like the HTML Album from 5 and one or two
    other features that make it worthwhile. Otherwise its as fast as 2.44
    and as stable even on slow computers (P3 450, p3 667)

    SD
    SD, Jan 27, 2004
  11. Peter O'Callaghan

    Mark M Guest

    "allegro" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:05:26 +0100, "Pepe" <> wrote:
    >
    > >BUT it crashes often :(
    > >
    > >Pepe

    > I have no problems with version 5.
    > 6.0 on the other hand is another story.

    Interestingly, I just installed 6.0 on a new machine, and it's as quick as
    lightning!
    I've been quite unhappy with 6 on my 1Gh Pentium 3 computer, but it is
    amazingly quick and trouble free on this 2.5 Gh machine. It's only a
    Celeron, BTW.
    Mark M, Jan 28, 2004
  12. Peter O'Callaghan

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:05:26 +0100, "Pepe" <> wrote:

    >BUT it crashes often :(
    >
    >Pepe

    No it doesn't. Period.

    If you get 'crashes' think about the possible causes - do not just
    blame the software.

    It is your computer that crashes - the software being used could be
    being corrupted by other services/software on your machine, memory
    conflicts, I/O conflicts etc - other software being installed after
    ACDSee might have corrupted it. A virus could do the job nicely.
    Tweaking the computer without knowing what you are doing is fatal

    Don't denigrate or make a statement like that without backing it up
    with factual details...

    Most software will 'lock-up' or otherwise appear not to behave from
    time to time - that is a fact of life.
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jan 28, 2004
  13. Peter O'Callaghan

    Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:10:38 +0000, Donald Gray
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:05:26 +0100, "Pepe" <> wrote:
    >>BUT it crashes often :(
    >>Pepe

    >No it doesn't. Period.
    >If you get 'crashes' think about the possible causes - do not just
    >blame the software.
    >It is your computer that crashes - the software being used could be
    >being corrupted by other services/software on your machine, memory
    >conflicts, I/O conflicts etc - other software being installed after
    >ACDSee might have corrupted it. A virus could do the job nicely.
    >Tweaking the computer without knowing what you are doing is fatal
    >Don't denigrate or make a statement like that without backing it up
    >with factual details...
    >Most software will 'lock-up' or otherwise appear not to behave from
    >time to time - that is a fact of life.

    And further to this, I've never had a troublesome prog that I wasn't
    able to pin down another prog to blame. If you installed your
    'crashable' ACDSee on a fresh clean windows installation with no other
    progs and it crashes then it's likely to be a video driver problem. If
    it works fine, then the prog isn't at fault. Now if you add other
    progs and ACDSee starts crashing then there's your problem. The skill
    is in finding out which prog. I've had three cases recently where I've
    had to do this. First there was Drive Image, which instantly shut down
    my pc as soon as it started to create a disc image. I didn't blame
    Drive Image. I went looking for the culprit, and it was another
    program.

    Then I had my Epson scanner only let me access a very basic selection
    of scanning options and the usual advanced ones disappeared. The Epson
    twain folder became locked tight. I could neither uninstall, nor
    re-install the driver, or delete the folder. It was the installation
    of a second scanner which had caused this.

    And finally I spent a week getting somewhat annoyed that an online
    printing site kept saying that my photos already uploaded were
    inaccessible due to maintenance, and try again later. After 2 days I
    asked them how much longer, and got the reply that there were no
    maintenance or other problems with the site. Sure enough, when I tried
    it on my second pc - no problem. Now the only difference between the 2
    PCs is that the second one has Norton Internet Security 2003, and the
    troublesome pc has MacAfee Internet Security 2004 - a new prog to me.
    I rebuilt the installation from an image made prior to installing the
    second scanner (I failed totally in trying to delete that twain
    folder), installed Norton instead of MacAfee, and my photos became
    accessible again.

    I've had ACDSee 5 since it came out. It behaved perfectly for months,
    but then it started to become erratic. Obviously it was another new
    program causing it. I didn't bother trying to fix it because v6 came
    out and problem solved. And after a shaky start, v6 has been fine as
    well so far. I still run 3.1 as well. Always will.

    MJ
    , Jan 29, 2004
  14. Peter O'Callaghan

    JunkMonkey Guest

    MJ,

    I'm curious, what does the combination of ACDSee V6 and V3 buy you that V6
    alone doesn't provide? I started with ACDSee at V4 so I'm not familiar with
    V3. But other than color management, I can't imagine what they could add to
    V6 to make it more complete.

    JunkMonkey, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Peter O'Callaghan

    Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:18:05 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
    <> wrote:

    >MJ,
    >
    >I'm curious, what does the combination of ACDSee V6 and V3 buy you that V6
    >alone doesn't provide? I started with ACDSee at V4 so I'm not familiar with
    >V3. But other than color management, I can't imagine what they could add to
    >V6 to make it more complete.

    Nothing significant. I'm still breaking in 6 and it's not as friendly
    as 3.1. Biggest thing to me is the auto-rename function. In 3 when
    you're moving oics and there's a clash of file names and you have it
    set to open the side-by-side-comparison window, the rename box is
    already filled in with your chosen rename separator. All the later
    versions you have to type it in yourself every time. And in 3 it's
    easier to adjust thumbnail size and to exactly what you want. In 3
    (and later) there are title bars below the thumbnails, colour coded
    so you can pick out jpegs, tiff and psd. These have gone missing in 6
    - or at least I haven't yet found out how to make them appear.
    Similarly, I have yet to find out how to move the database location to
    a place of my own choice.

    So nothing to move the earth. 3 is just cleaner, simpler, more
    familiar. I don't want all the bells and whistles. I've got Photoshop
    to do all the clever stuff. I just want a picture management tool to
    look at them, organise, move around, rename etc, which 3 does
    admirably (and so does v2.4). I did use 5 for a while and that was ok
    (apart from the useless rename not working properly). But another prog
    upset it and some of the folders in the tree kept losing their + signs
    and I couldn't access subfolders without refreshing a few times or
    closing it and re-opening. That's when I went back to 3 and
    re-discovered how good it was.

    I also use another viewer - Firehand Ember, purely for viewing. I've
    always had this one and a version of ACDSee. Even though I've tried
    Irfanview, Thumbsplus, Compupic and more, I've always relied on these
    two to do what I want without hassle.

    MJ
    , Jan 30, 2004
  16. Peter O'Callaghan