    and Apple.

    He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
    laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

    carol, Jan 1, 2006

  2. carol

    The Shed Guest

    "carol" <> wrote in message
    news:BMWtf.15009$...
    > My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.
    >
    > He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the
    > laptop D
    > drive ceases to work.
    >
    > If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back
    > say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I
    > Tunes
    > and Apple.
    >
    > He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in
    > another
    > laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

    have you installed the itunes software or similar provided with the pod
    as per instructions?? not with ipod conected etc?
    he is incorrect about files being erased.

    redo the i tunes (leave the cd in the drive during reboot) let it
    finish ---reboot

    FOLLOW THE GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS ON THE IPOD CD.

    try this

    remove all versions of itunes etc via control panel

    reboot

    check they have gone --if not remove again

    insert cd run it----READ the instructions

    yada
    yada

    then connect ipod

    The Shed, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Why is it that someone keeps posting asking for a photo of you in a field?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jan 1, 2006
  4. "carol" <> wrote in message
    My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.

    He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
    drive ceases to work.

    If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
    say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I Tunes
    and Apple.

    He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
    laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

    You don't need to use iTunes to get your iPod working. You can use Winamp
    with the appropriate plug-in to manage your iPod (assuming you are using
    Windows)

    www.winamp.com

    http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888

    **SS**

    secret squiddle, Jan 1, 2006
  5. carol

    Goonerak Guest

    > My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.
    >
    > He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
    > drive ceases to work.
    >
    > If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
    > say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I
    > Tunes
    > and Apple.
    >
    > He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
    > laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

    I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are you
    using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
    administrator account.

    I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the laptop,
    plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.

    If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that you
    can only access the iPod from 1 PC which is crazy.

    These devices are the most user unfriendly I have ever come across.

    Goonerak, Jan 1, 2006
  6. carol

    The Shed Guest

    One day i will post it----not going to be pretty --but one day!!

    The Shed, Jan 2, 2006
  7. carol

    The Shed Guest

    "Goonerak" <> wrote in message

    >> My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.
    >>
    >> He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the
    >> laptop D
    >> drive ceases to work.
    >>
    >> If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting
    >> back to
    >> say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I
    >> Tunes
    >> and Apple.
    >>
    >> He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in
    >> another
    >> laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that
    >> correct.
    >>

    > I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are
    > you using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
    > administrator account.
    >
    > I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the
    > laptop, plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.
    >
    > If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that
    > you can only access the iPod from 1 PC which is crazy.
    >
    > These devices are the most user unfriendly I have ever come across.

    They are only unfriendly if

    YOU DO NOT READ THE KIN INSTRUCTIONS

    read the goddamn book and install as is spelt out --it is not hard

    The Shed, Jan 2, 2006
  8. Goonerak wrote:

    > I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are you
    > using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
    > administrator account.
    >
    > I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the laptop,
    > plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.
    >
    > If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that you
    > can only access the iPod from 1 PC which is crazy.
    >
    > These devices are the most user unfriendly I have ever come across.

    My daughters' iPod installed fine and works fine on my PC (WinXP), her
    PC (Win2k), my Mac (Mac Mini), her Mac (G3) and my laptop (Win2k).

    Songs don't get wiped by plugging it into another PC, it (and the songs
    on it) can be accessed by any of the Mac's or PC's.

    Neither my daughter nor I think it is user unfriendly.

    Follow the install instructions and it all works fine.

    ::Your Name Here::, Jan 2, 2006
  9. carol

    Mitch Guest

    In article <4TYtf.19043$>, Goonerak
    <> wrote:

    > I had major problems getting my daughter's iPod shuffle to work. Are you
    > using Windows XP and does your son have a limited account or an
    > administrator account.
    >
    > I found that to get it to work properly, you have to switch off the laptop,
    > plug in the iPod and then turn on the laptop.

    That sounds like a limitation of the USB controller on the laptop.
    I have a USB 1.1 CD writer that behaves similarly.

    > If he plugs it into another PC the songs won't be wiped. I think that you

    This is a concession to the music publishers. Apple doesn't put most
    other kinds of limitations on the music files, so they instead made it
    harder to move the files to more machines.
    It isn't a design flaw.
    On the other hand, aside from actually using it to move music, why
    should you need to access it from multiple machines? Most people only
    have one machine that they use, anyway, and almost certainly only one
    that they store their music on.

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  10. carol

    Mitch Guest

    In article <BMWtf.15009$>, carol
    <> wrote:

    > He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
    > drive ceases to work.

    Did he remove the CD when it restarted the computer?
    As I understand it, the install process hasn't finished at that point.
    He should probably uninstall and reinstall iTunes again, following the
    instructions.

    > If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
    > say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I Tunes
    > and Apple.

    Maybe not -- might just be he isn't following the instructions.

    > He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
    > laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

    No -- but he shouldn't be able to access the music from a second
    machine. You manage the music from only one machine at a time. (Trying
    to set it up from a different machine may indeed be asking it to wipe
    the current loaded music; I'm sure it will warn about this.)

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  11. carol

    Mitch Guest

    In article <43b8483c$0$29567$>, secret squiddle
    <> wrote:

    > You don't need to use iTunes to get your iPod working. You can use Winamp
    > with the appropriate plug-in to manage your iPod (assuming you are using
    > Windows)
    >
    > www.winamp.com
    >
    > http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888

    Sounds like a horrifyingly bad idea.
    iTunes has got to be better than Winamp, and certainly better at
    managing the iPod tracks.

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  12. carol

    carol Guest

    What if you share a machine.
    What happens if the machine you have gets broken and cant be used any more

    carol, Jan 2, 2006
  13. carol

    Trax Guest

    "carol" <> wrote:

    |>What if you share a machine.
    |>What happens if the machine you have gets broken and cant be used any more

    Google: DeDRMS.exe

    --
    http://media.putfile.com/PurePwnage-WoWisafeeling

    Trax, Jan 2, 2006
  14. carol

    dogsBollix Guest

    Mitch <> wrote in news:010120061823056323%:

    > In article <BMWtf.15009$>, carol
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop
    >> D drive ceases to work.

    > Did he remove the CD when it restarted the computer?
    > As I understand it, the install process hasn't finished at that point.
    > He should probably uninstall and reinstall iTunes again, following the
    > instructions.
    >
    >> If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back
    >> to say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with
    >> I Tunes and Apple.

    > Maybe not -- might just be he isn't following the instructions.
    >
    >> He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
    >> laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

    > No -- but he shouldn't be able to access the music from a second
    > machine. You manage the music from only one machine at a time. (Trying
    > to set it up from a different machine may indeed be asking it to wipe
    > the current loaded music; I'm sure it will warn about this.)

    when i reinstalled winblows and itunes it refused to manage the ipod music
    lists but "offered" to delete all 15GB of it and reload it
    after much cussing and reading the unhelpful help i found out how to setup
    itunes for manual control of the ipod

    in my opinion, if itunes is apples idea of state of the art user friendly
    software then it's hardy surprising that 9 out of 10 people prefer
    winblows

    dB

    dogsBollix, Jan 2, 2006
  15. carol

    Mitch Guest

    In article <d19uf.64545$>, carol
    <> wrote:

    > What if you share a machine.
    > What happens if the machine you have gets broken and cant be used any more

    Hey, I'm not saying they are locked together.
    Just that my understanding was that it was meant to be used from just
    one machine at a time.
    Someone else posted that they are able to connect one iPod to several
    machines, so I may be wrong about how much you can change from mutliple
    machines.
    But in no case am I saying that you will never be able to use it with
    anything else, or that you will have trouble or risk losing music files
    at any time.

    In fact, one of the major purposes of the iPod is to be used as a
    portable storage device -- which means connecting it to multiple
    computers for the specific purpose of moving files from one to another.

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  16. carol

    JP Guest

    Don't think anyone's mentioned this. Quite a lot of people have had this
    problem, I'm 90% sure the fix detailed here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/
    will sort it.

    There's a conflict with Sonic Record Now and Itunes I think, try the fix
    after installing itunes and after a restart your drive should be back...
    -JP

    JP, Jan 2, 2006
  17. carol

    DC Guest

    carol wrote:
    > My son has had an I Pod for Chrimbo.

    > He has a problem with it by where once I Tunes are loaded on the laptop D
    > drive ceases to work.

    > If you do a previous reinstall the D drive worked put the setting back to
    > say today and D drive again ceases to work so he has a problem with I Tunes
    > and Apple.

    > He also tells me or he understands that if he puts his I Pod in another
    > laptop or P.C then all the music files will be wiped, is that correct.

    Ah! DRM in action, folks. }:O)

    Carol, see the link I posted, within the last half hour, to an article on
    groklaw.net that could shed light on your problem.

    I would suggest that you also search the Apple/iPod knowledgebase or FAQ
    for advice.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many'
    and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

    DC, Jan 2, 2006