I tried WinXP64 - my experience.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by MarkH, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    I have upgraded my main PC on the weekend, it now has a new M/Board, Video
    card and an AMD Athlon 64 Processor.

    So I connected a spare 40GB HDD and installed Windows XP Pro 64-bit
    version.

    My findings on 64 bit Windows:
    Seems quite good, installed easily and worked well once I had loaded the
    drivers for my hardware.
    Could not install Alcohol 120%, tried Daemon Tools - but that would not
    load either.
    Could not install Kaspersky AV, tried AVG - also would not install, loaded
    a trial version of NOD32 for WinXP 64 - this worked fine.
    I could not find much info on availability of any 64 bit apps, without
    these is there any advantage to using the 64 bit version of Windows?

    I think that I will format that 40GB drive and use it for something else,
    maybe later when I can get some 64 bit apps I will reload the WinXP64.

    Has anyone else tried WinXP64? Is there anyone using it currently?

    I now have WinXP SP2 running happily and will try to get SUSE 9.3 64bit
    running this week.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-August-05)
    MarkH, Aug 21, 2005

  2. MarkH wrote:
    > I could not find much info on availability of any 64 bit apps, without
    > these is there any advantage to using the 64 bit version of Windows?

    There are a few advantages... normal users wont run into them yet...
    Apps get access to a full 4GB of ram, rather than having to share with
    other apps(assuming you have a heap of ram).

    There are a few others, not too sure of them though sorry.

    > Has anyone else tried WinXP64? Is there anyone using it currently?

    yes, and yes... but not me.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 21, 2005

  3. MarkH

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:34:23 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >I have upgraded my main PC on the weekend, it now has a new M/Board, Video
    >card and an AMD Athlon 64 Processor.
    >
    >So I connected a spare 40GB HDD and installed Windows XP Pro 64-bit
    >version.
    >
    >My findings on 64 bit Windows:
    >Seems quite good, installed easily and worked well once I had loaded the
    >drivers for my hardware.
    >Could not install Alcohol 120%, tried Daemon Tools - but that would not
    >load either.
    >Could not install Kaspersky AV, tried AVG - also would not install, loaded
    >a trial version of NOD32 for WinXP 64 - this worked fine.
    >I could not find much info on availability of any 64 bit apps, without
    >these is there any advantage to using the 64 bit version of Windows?
    >
    >I think that I will format that 40GB drive and use it for something else,
    >maybe later when I can get some 64 bit apps I will reload the WinXP64.
    >
    >Has anyone else tried WinXP64? Is there anyone using it currently?
    >
    >I now have WinXP SP2 running happily and will try to get SUSE 9.3 64bit
    >running this week.

    Some 32-bit applications that have 16-bit installers won't install.
    GraB, Aug 22, 2005
  4. GraB wrote:
    >>Has anyone else tried WinXP64? Is there anyone using it currently?

    >>I now have WinXP SP2 running happily and will try to get SUSE 9.3 64bit
    >>running this week.

    > Some 32-bit applications that have 16-bit installers won't install.

    Some smart cookie in IT decided that the new CAD machines would use it,
    even though they only have 2GB ram, so pretty much all features are not
    used.

    Nothing would work, none of our "standard applications suite", the
    funniest one was that the MS mice that the CAD guys used didn't have
    drivers, so I downloaded the latest software for it, and it said that
    the OS wasn't supported... at that point I turned it off and installed
    XP-pro.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 22, 2005
  5. MarkH wrote:
    > Could not install Alcohol 120%, tried Daemon Tools - but that would not
    > load either.

    These require the installation of 32-bit drivers to operate. Wait until
    the vendors release 64-bit versions.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 22, 2005
  6. MarkH

    Tim Guest

    If the 16 bit installer does not work, look for a 32bit installer and try
    that..
    If its a 16 bit app, you are hosed - 16 bit is no longer supported.
    As far as Alcohol etc not working, that is 100% predictable as these 'apps'
    need 64 bit drivers (they install 32bit drivers which won't work because its
    a 64 bit platform) and unless you go out looking for a 64bit driver and
    succeed you will be hosed.

    A good news group for 64 bit related things is
    microsoft.public.64bit.general (also covers non beta testers for Vista). You
    will find references there to web sites and many FAQ's.

    64bit is OEM only at this point (although you can buy an OEM disc) precisely
    because there is somewhat limited app and driver support. IE as OEM, you are
    supposed to be buying a complete working tested system or acknowledging that
    this is a new OS with limited driver support. The key thing is, if you can
    get past the drivers issues and the apps you use run (all 32bit apps that
    don't need custom device drivers should) then it is the way forward. Proceed
    with caution, research the drivers before making commitment.

    Most user world apps don't need custom drivers, but anything to do with
    defragging (might), 'system', or that rips or tears may. There is apparently
    minimal support for scanners.

    It is up to the device manifacturers to re-write their drivers for 64bit, so
    for each Device and App you wish to convert across, research... Printer
    support has predictably been not too good - some manfacturers prefer to
    bring out new versions of products with 64 bit drivers rather than support
    that reliable printer in the corner that cost an arm and a leg.

    About the only real show stopper motherboards are those based on K8T880 (?)
    chipset I believe - none will work, but the NForce4 with AMD or Intel is
    fine. There are other options. Dual core chips require bios updates & in
    some cases you have to use an Old chip to update the BIOS before a Dual Core
    will work. IE check your mobo and its resident bios before you buy too. If
    buying Intel, you have to be very careful of the model number in some
    situations. 'D' does not mean dual on Intel always.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 22, 2005
  7. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:34:23 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Has anyone else tried WinXP64? Is there anyone using it currently?

    I tried it on a machine, but it eventually got dropped for normal
    32-bit Windows XP Professional.

    As 32-bit applications couldn't attach to the 64-bit Explorer shell,
    shell extensions like WinZIP and "Scan for Viruses.." from McAfee etc
    wouldn't work, programs would fail to install after they launched
    their 16-bit stub, etc. Drivers for the Adobe PDF printer were only
    32-bit so the printer didn't appear. Quite a problem at present.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Aug 22, 2005
  8. In article <jz5Oe.72146$>,
    MarkH <> wrote:

    >I could not find much info on availability of any 64 bit apps, without
    >these is there any advantage to using the 64 bit version of Windows?

    You're basically stuck in a chicken-and-egg situation here. Without
    availability of 64-bit apps, precious few users will bother to install
    64-bit Windows. And without a large installed base of 64-bit Windows
    users, precious few developers are going to bother to release 64-bit
    apps.

    Think how many years it took to transition Windows from 16-bit to
    32-bit. Now multiply that by the greater inertia caused by the greater
    size of the installed base, and it's going to take a decade or more
    before 64-bit Windows becomes really useful.

    But then, that's closed-source for you...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 22, 2005
  9. MarkH wrote:
    > I have upgraded my main PC on the weekend, it now has a new M/Board, Video
    > card and an AMD Athlon 64 Processor.
    >
    > So I connected a spare 40GB HDD and installed Windows XP Pro 64-bit
    > version.
    >
    > My findings on 64 bit Windows:
    > Seems quite good, installed easily and worked well once I had loaded the
    > drivers for my hardware.

    Driver support is the #1 adoption barrier. Today. All kernel-mode
    device drivers must be 64-bit as you have found.

    > Could not install Alcohol 120%, tried Daemon Tools - but that would not
    > load either.

    There's a program called FantomDVD that with Windows x64. However, you
    need to install the drivers for the program by going to the Add New
    Hardware control panel and selecting the inf files manually.

    You can get the program at the downloads section at www.planetamd64.com

    > Could not install Kaspersky AV, tried AVG - also would not install, loaded
    > a trial version of NOD32 for WinXP 64 - this worked fine.

    Personally I use CA eTrust on x64, corporate standard (for now) not
    because I would like to :p

    > I could not find much info on availability of any 64 bit apps, without
    > these is there any advantage to using the 64 bit version of Windows?

    Yes(!) :
    Windows x64 exploits the power of 64-bit addressing to allow up to 16
    terabytes of virtual memory space as well as dramatically increased
    physical memory support -128 GB.

    Also greater performance due to architectural enhancements such as:
    benefits from additional registers provided by the x64 processors
    provides up to 4GB per 32-bit process; x86 provides at most 3GB
    (ignoring AWE/PAE techniques)
    on par performance with 32-bit applications

    Greater physical memory support eliminates 32-bit bottlenecks, page
    faults and also gives developers greater headroom to create more
    efficient algorithms
    today a good percentage of 32-bit application code dedicated to managing
    memory constraints

    The benefits are more obvious on the server side with database servers,
    directories, terminal servers and the like where you may need much
    greater system capacity and scalability, ie
    1MM TCPIP connections tax only ~2.5 GB of non-paged pool
    Servers can host vastly more applications and users
    2GB user and system virtual address limitation has been a major
    bottleneck for server workloads
    Server applications benefit from 4 GB of user, unlimited system virtual
    address and more registers

    For instance the Windows build team: reduced daily build (compile) times
    by 66% simply by moving to Windows on x64 hardware

    > I think that I will format that 40GB drive and use it for something else,
    > maybe later when I can get some 64 bit apps I will reload the WinXP64.

    net net, you have to have a reason for going 64 bit. Not just because
    its cool and the latest and greatest thing

    > Has anyone else tried WinXP64? Is there anyone using it currently?

    Yes!

    > I now have WinXP SP2 running happily and will try to get SUSE 9.3 64bit
    > running this week.

    We are on the brink of a major generational shift to pervasive 64-bit
    computing. The transition will not happen overnight...but it will happen.

    By 2006 we predict that there will be broad availability of x64 hardware
    and in fact X64 will be the standard on new PCs. There will also be a
    wide variety and availability of applications both business and consumer
    and X64 will become the default OS

    Regards
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 22, 2005
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>I could not find much info on availability of any 64 bit apps, without
    >>these is there any advantage to using the 64 bit version of Windows?

    > You're basically stuck in a chicken-and-egg situation here. Without
    > availability of 64-bit apps, precious few users will bother to install
    > 64-bit Windows. And without a large installed base of 64-bit Windows
    > users, precious few developers are going to bother to release 64-bit
    > apps.

    Rubbish. But you will be burned if you don't have realistic
    expectations. As with anything in IT. There has to be a reason to go
    64, not just because its cool and exciting and the latest and greatest
    thing!
    Your paragraph reads true if you remove the word Windows as well.

    > Think how many years it took to transition Windows from 16-bit to
    > 32-bit. Now multiply that by the greater inertia caused by the greater
    > size of the installed base, and it's going to take a decade or more
    > before 64-bit Windows becomes really useful.

    This is rubbish. Its really useful today. It just not really useful to
    everyone. There are people successfully running many implementations of
    64bit on Windows today very successfully. 64bit WILL be mainstream in
    the next year or 2.

    If you can be bothered read my previous reply from a few mins ago for
    some of the useful 64bit scenarios available today.

    > But then, that's closed-source for you...

    lol. And things are miracuously better in the open source world?

    Pass me some of what ever you are smoking because I want some

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 22, 2005
  11. In article <430997db$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>I could not find much info on availability of any 64 bit apps, without
    >>>these is there any advantage to using the 64 bit version of Windows?

    >> You're basically stuck in a chicken-and-egg situation here. Without
    >> availability of 64-bit apps, precious few users will bother to install
    >> 64-bit Windows. And without a large installed base of 64-bit Windows
    >> users, precious few developers are going to bother to release 64-bit
    >> apps.

    >Your paragraph reads true if you remove the word Windows as well.

    No it doesn't
    <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/nz.comp/tree/browse_frm/thread/9bcc3
    85f6152935/6d6c9cfcd3f24c9b>. Open-source platforms have moved to full
    64-bit much more quickly than closed-source ones have.

    To be fair, it's not just Microsoft that's having trouble with the
    transition: Apple still doesn't have a full 64-bit OS either, even
    though they've been shipping 64-bit hardware for some time.

    >> Think how many years it took to transition Windows from 16-bit to
    >> 32-bit. Now multiply that by the greater inertia caused by the greater
    >> size of the installed base, and it's going to take a decade or more
    >> before 64-bit Windows becomes really useful.

    >This is rubbish. Its really useful today. It just not really useful to
    >everyone.

    Love that cop-out: Useful ... just not to everyone.

    >> But then, that's closed-source for you...

    >lol. And things are miracuously better in the open source world?

    Yup. See above.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 22, 2005
  12. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>You're basically stuck in a chicken-and-egg situation here. Without
    >>>availability of 64-bit apps, precious few users will bother to install
    >>>64-bit Windows. And without a large installed base of 64-bit Windows
    >>>users, precious few developers are going to bother to release 64-bit
    >>>apps.

    >>Your paragraph reads true if you remove the word Windows as well.

    > No it doesn't
    > <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/nz.comp/tree/browse_frm/thread/9bcc3
    > 85f6152935/6d6c9cfcd3f24c9b>. Open-source platforms have moved to full
    > 64-bit much more quickly than closed-source ones have.

    Yes it does. Opensource is somehow different here? If 64 bit open
    source apps aren't available people won't install 64 bit open source apps.

    Again why would you install a 64bit OS if there was no reason to use
    one? I can understand if you want to open the hood and tinker, thats a
    reason, but not a major driver

    You still need to have 64 bit drivers, and 64 bit apps to take advantage
    of your 64bit OS.

    > To be fair, it's not just Microsoft that's having trouble with the
    > transition: Apple still doesn't have a full 64-bit OS either, even
    > though they've been shipping 64-bit hardware for some time.

    Microsoft have several 64 bit Operating Systems.

    >>>Think how many years it took to transition Windows from 16-bit to
    >>>32-bit. Now multiply that by the greater inertia caused by the greater
    >>>size of the installed base, and it's going to take a decade or more
    >>>before 64-bit Windows becomes really useful.

    >>This is rubbish. Its really useful today. It just not really useful to
    >>everyone.

    > Love that cop-out: Useful ... just not to everyone.

    Please explain. Not everyone needs 64 bit today. Why install a 64bit
    OS if there was no reason to use one?
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 22, 2005
  13. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Nathan Mercer <> wrote in news:43099644$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> I think that I will format that 40GB drive and use it for something
    >> else, maybe later when I can get some 64 bit apps I will reload the
    >> WinXP64.

    > net net, you have to have a reason for going 64 bit. Not just because
    > its cool and the latest and greatest thing

    What does net net mean?

    What is wrong with going to 64bit when there is enough support with apps?
    Surely I can get a performance boost with a 64bit OS running 64bit apps?
    What I really need is the more demanding apps available in 64bit - like
    Adobe Photoshop and games.

    MarkH, Aug 22, 2005
  14. MarkH wrote:
    >>>I think that I will format that 40GB drive and use it for something
    >>>else, maybe later when I can get some 64 bit apps I will reload the
    >>>WinXP64.

    >>net net, you have to have a reason for going 64 bit. Not just because
    >>its cool and the latest and greatest thing

    > What does net net mean?

    In summary

    > What is wrong with going to 64bit when there is enough support with apps?

    Nothing at all.
    And at some point in the future the barriers will be much lower, 64 bit
    device drivers will much more common (today 64 bit computing including
    x64 is "easier" and more compelling on a server - more memory/perf
    demands as per my previous post, and drivers are more common for server
    hardware for a bunch of reasons)

    > Surely I can get a performance boost with a 64bit OS running 64bit apps?

    Yes, and in some cases by running 32bit on x64. x64, in particular
    AMD64 today has additional registers that make it faster than 32, even
    running 32 bit code. But you still need 64bit drivers for your
    hardware, and 64 bit system utilities like AV etc.

    > What I really need is the more demanding apps available in 64bit - like
    > Adobe Photoshop and games.

    I'm not familar with 64 bit apps from Adobe, best to check with them.
    It would likely benefit from 64bit support if it needs (and you have)
    large amounts of RAM

    http://www.planetamd64.com/
    http://www.extended64.com/
    are good resources

    There are a few 64bit games coming out, FarCry looks great on x64
    Chronicals of Riddick has a 64bit patch
    Shadow Ops Has had a 64bit patch

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_11054,00.html

    Again the point is not 64 just for 64's sake - in the case of Farcry for
    instance there is additional content (larger maps etc) that you can only
    get on 64

    But also the real advantage of something like Windows x64 with a x64
    chip is the ability to run 64bit and 32bit apps side by side

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 22, 2005
  15. Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    >>Has anyone else tried WinXP64? Is there anyone using it currently?

    > I tried it on a machine, but it eventually got dropped for normal
    > 32-bit Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > As 32-bit applications couldn't attach to the 64-bit Explorer shell,
    > shell extensions like WinZIP and "Scan for Viruses.." from McAfee etc
    > wouldn't work, programs would fail to install after they launched
    > their 16-bit stub, etc. Drivers for the Adobe PDF printer were only
    > 32-bit so the printer didn't appear. Quite a problem at present.

    For PDF try deskPDF from www.docudesk.com - it works on x64

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 22, 2005
  16. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Nathan Mercer <> wrote in news:4309bcd8$:

    >>>net net, you have to have a reason for going 64 bit. Not just
    >>>because its cool and the latest and greatest thing

    >> What does net net mean?

    > In summary

    Did you simply make that up or is it is some other language? I googled
    "net net" and found nothing on the first 10 pages.

    >> What is wrong with going to 64bit when there is enough support with
    >> apps?

    > Nothing at all.
    > And at some point in the future the barriers will be much lower, 64
    > bit device drivers will much more common (today 64 bit computing
    > including x64 is "easier" and more compelling on a server - more
    > memory/perf demands as per my previous post, and drivers are more
    > common for server hardware for a bunch of reasons)

    I had no problems finding drivers for the Asus Nvidia 4 M/Boards chipset
    and sound, both Nvidia and ATI have drivers for their PCI-E video cards.
    For a gaming machine WinXP64 should work well.

    >> Surely I can get a performance boost with a 64bit OS running 64bit
    >> apps?

    > Yes, and in some cases by running 32bit on x64. x64, in particular
    > AMD64 today has additional registers that make it faster than 32, even
    > running 32 bit code. But you still need 64bit drivers for your
    > hardware, and 64 bit system utilities like AV etc.

    For AV I found the NOD32 version for WinXP64 fairly quickly and had no
    problem installing it. It is not too expensive either. For hardware
    support the problem would come in on some peripherals more than
    anything.

    >> What I really need is the more demanding apps available in 64bit -
    >> like Adobe Photoshop and games.

    > I'm not familar with 64 bit apps from Adobe, best to check with them.
    > It would likely benefit from 64bit support if it needs (and you have)
    > large amounts of RAM

    I only have 2GB of RAM at this stage, but it would be nice if the most
    demanding programs ran faster.

    > http://www.planetamd64.com/
    > http://www.extended64.com/
    > are good resources

    Thanks, I have bookmarked those.

    > There are a few 64bit games coming out, FarCry looks great on x64

    I like Farcry, I might have to install that and download the patch and
    give it a go.

    > Chronicals of Riddick has a 64bit patch
    > Shadow Ops Has had a 64bit patch
    >
    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_
    > 11054,00.html
    >
    > Again the point is not 64 just for 64's sake - in the case of Farcry
    > for instance there is additional content (larger maps etc) that you
    > can only get on 64

    But even without extra content isn't a speed boost worthwhile?

    > But also the real advantage of something like Windows x64 with a x64
    > chip is the ability to run 64bit and 32bit apps side by side

    I think over the months, as more and more 64bit CPUs are sold, the
    WinXP64 support will improve. Without going to 64bit the future
    limitations will become a pain (as new MBoards support more RAM for
    example).

    MarkH, Aug 22, 2005
  17. MarkH

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:24:33 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > What is wrong with going to 64bit when there is enough support with apps?
    > Surely I can get a performance boost with a 64bit OS running 64bit apps?
    > What I really need is the more demanding apps available in 64bit - like
    > Adobe Photoshop and games.

    32bit apps that don't require drivers should still run a bit better on the
    64bit OS. The OS will itself run a bit faster*, and be able to manage
    memory better for demanding apps - eg each 32bit app can be assigned its
    own 4GB address space.

    * That's not so much a benefit of the 64bit code itself, but the
    architectural improvements AMD made that you only get to see when running
    in 64bit mode - eg extra registers etc.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 22, 2005
  18. MarkH

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:09:14 +1200, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >By 2006 we predict that there will be broad availability of x64 hardware
    >and in fact X64 will be the standard on new PCs. There will also be a
    >wide variety and availability of applications both business and consumer
    >and X64 will become the default OS

    That's great news for Linux.
    Bret, Aug 22, 2005
  19. Bret wrote:
    >>By 2006 we predict that there will be broad availability of x64 hardware
    >>and in fact X64 will be the standard on new PCs. There will also be a
    >>wide variety and availability of applications both business and consumer
    >>and X64 will become the default OS

    > That's great news for Linux.

    ummm, how is that?

    I mean the hardware side is good, but I just don't see the link between
    Nathans post, and your reply.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 22, 2005
  20. MarkH

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:10:45 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >>>By 2006 we predict that there will be broad availability of x64 hardware
    >>>and in fact X64 will be the standard on new PCs. There will also be a
    >>>wide variety and availability of applications both business and consumer
    >>>and X64 will become the default OS

    >> That's great news for Linux.

    >ummm, how is that?
    >
    >I mean the hardware side is good, but I just don't see the link between
    >Nathans post, and your reply.

    All that lovely hardware Dave, shiny and new and smelling vaguely
    phenolic, running Linux and all those Windows apps under VM64 :)
    Bret, Aug 22, 2005