    Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    camera again.

    Thanks
    Healthy Stealthy, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Healthy Stealthy

    Mark² Guest

    Healthy Stealthy wrote:
    > Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
    > Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
    > cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used
    > to brush, I don't remember.
    >
    > I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
    > used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the
    > dust on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
    >
    > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part
    > of the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of
    > the camera at any time.
    >
    > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    > camera again.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you can see the "thing" you touched by simply removing the lens...you're
    looking at the mirror...which will have no impact on your images whatsoever.

    If, on the other hand, you activated the sensor-clean function (which you
    have to actively select from within the menu system), which flips the mirror
    up and out of the way to provide access to the sensor...and you reached all
    the way in and touched what looks like a glassy-smooth greyish surface (NOT
    a mirror surface), then you touched the sensor itself.

    If you did touch the sensor, this isn't death...but it's something you
    should be extremely cautious with. I have occasionally lightly touched it
    with a very soft blower brush, but wouldn't recommend that to people.

    In any event...if you didn't actively use the sensor-clean function, it's
    almost certain you only touched the mirror--which isn't involved in anything
    other than letting you look through the viewfinder. Once you trip the
    shutter, the mirror flips up, and has no effect on the image or sensor.

    -Mark
    Mark², Feb 5, 2006

  3. On 4 Feb 2006 17:52:26 -0800, Healthy Stealthy wrote:

    > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
    > the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
    > camera at any time.

    Take a close-up picture of a lit flourescent tube. Check the image for
    dark pixels.

    Take a picture of the inside of your lens cap. Check for the image
    for 'hot' pixels.

    Even if you see one or two in either case, it may have come in the box
    from the factory that-a-way.

    > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    > camera again.

    Like your mom told you, "Don't you _ever_ touch *that* again!" :)

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
    Allodoxaphobia, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Healthy Stealthy

    Jasen Guest

    "Healthy Stealthy" <> wrote in message
    > Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
    > Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
    > cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
    > brush, I don't remember.
    >
    > I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
    > used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
    > on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
    >
    > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
    > the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
    > camera at any time.
    >
    > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    > camera again.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you want to check how dirty your sensor is, and it sounds like you
    touched the mirror anyway if you didn't actually select the "clean sensor"
    function, you can simply take a closeup photo of a neutral/white flat
    surface out of focus (set focus to infinity), upload to your computer and
    then increase the contrast to a higher level and you will start to see any
    possible dust spots or other blemishes. If you can increase the contrast to
    the highest pint and see virtually no specks then you should be fine and can
    relax. I did this before and after I cleaned my sensor and it is invaluable
    as a reference.
    Don't worry, you probably just confused the mirror for the sensor. You have
    to consciously gain access to the sensor to be able to touch it. A dirty
    mirror won't affect your images at all. You can clean the mirror with a
    blower brush but I prefer to use a lint free tissue on my finger and wipe
    softly. Blower brushes only move the dust about in my opinion and that dust
    can move to your sensor when you turn the camera on and take photos, for
    when the camera is on the sensor is charged and that will attract dust
    inevitably. This also applies when changing lenses. Do so with the camera
    off to minimise attraction of dust. The less you have to clean your camera
    sensor the longer it'll last, I believe.
    Jasen, Feb 5, 2006
  5. --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    Ï "Allodoxaphobia" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > On 4 Feb 2006 17:52:26 -0800, Healthy Stealthy wrote:
    >
    > > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
    > > the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
    > > camera at any time.

    > Take a close-up picture of a lit flourescent tube. Check the image for
    > dark pixels.
    >
    > Take a picture of the inside of your lens cap. Check for the image
    > for 'hot' pixels.
    >
    > Even if you see one or two in either case, it may have come in the box
    > from the factory that-a-way.
    >
    > > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    > > camera again.

    > Like your mom told you, "Don't you _ever_ touch *that* again!" :)
    >
    > Jonesy
    > --
    > Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    > Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
    > *** I killfile X-Trace: posting.google.com followups in this ng

    allodoxaphobia?I knew claustrophobia is a greek word, what does that
    mean?afraid of people with different religions?(That's what it would mean
    literally in greek)
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Feb 5, 2006
  6. On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 15:21:24 +0200, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote
    a badly formatted foolowup:

    > --
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > major in electrical engineering,freelance electrician
    > FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
    > dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    > Ï "Allodoxaphobia" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    :
    :
    :
    >> *** I killfile X-Trace: posting.google.com followups in this ng

    > allodoxaphobia?I knew claustrophobia is a greek word, what does that
    > mean?afraid of people with different religions?(That's what it would mean
    > literally in greek)

    Is Google censored in Greece as well as in China?

    Allodoxaphobia, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Healthy Stealthy

    JohnR66 Guest

    > Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
    > Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
    > cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
    > brush, I don't remember.
    >
    > I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
    > used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
    > on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
    >
    > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
    > the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
    > camera at any time.
    >
    > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    > camera again.
    >
    > Thanks

    Doubtful you ever touched the sensor. There is a piece of glass covering it.
    John
    JohnR66, Feb 6, 2006
  8. First, if your pictures look OK then you didn't do anything really bad.
    Next, the sensor can be cleaned and yes touched with a swab and some liquid
    cleaner. Mind you, not just any cleaner, but how do you think they clean it
    if you send it into Canon for a cleaning? Yes, they touch it.

    Willie

    William Saens, Feb 6, 2006
  9. I believe the sensor is actually covered by a small piece of glass, so you
    do not actually touch the sensor and burn out pixals.

    William Saens, Feb 6, 2006
  10. Healthy Stealthy

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Healthy Stealthy" <> wrote:

    > Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
    > Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
    > cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
    > brush, I don't remember.
    >
    > I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
    > used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
    > on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
    >
    > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
    > the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
    > camera at any time.
    >
    > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    > camera again.

    Touching the the hand of God can have dire consequences in your life!
    Stewy, Feb 6, 2006
  11. In article <>,
    "Healthy Stealthy" <> wrote:

    > Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
    > Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
    > cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
    > brush, I don't remember.
    >
    > I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
    > used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
    > on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
    >
    > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
    > the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
    > camera at any time.
    >
    > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
    > camera again.
    >
    > Thanks

    It's hard to touch the sensor. You'd have to be exposing a photo and
    you'd have to stick your finger all the to the back of the camera. You
    probably touched the mirror or the shutter.

    Touching the mirror is no big deal but don't do it again. The camera
    can't focus if you scratch it. It's partially transparent and there's a
    second mirror behind it to project an image onto the sensors in the
    bottom of the camera.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 6, 2006
  12. Healthy Stealthy

    cjcampbell Guest

    Healthy Stealthy wrote:
    > Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
    > Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
    > cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
    > brush, I don't remember.

    I can pretty much guarantee that the cleaning cloth did not hurt the
    sensor unless you had sand on it. The worst thing that a cleaning cloth
    will do is leave lint all over the inside of the camera. This lint will
    continually get on the sensor and you will get lots of practice
    cleaning the sensor properly.

    If you send your camera to Canon to have it cleaned, all they do is
    swab the sensor with a sponge swab dipped in alcohol. You can do better
    than that. I have been using the Copper Hill method for a year now and
    have not noticed any damage whatsoever. It works, and it is simple.

    Lately, though, I have noticed that just leaving most spots alone seems
    to work almost as well. Most of them go away after a few shots. If I
    get a lot of real stubborn ones then I will clean the sensor.
    cjcampbell, Feb 6, 2006
  13. Thanks for all your excellent responces! I really do appreciate it.
    The photos look pretty good. I did try taking a snap shot with the
    cover on the lense to see any "hot spots," but the camer wouldn't let
    me What is a hot spot. What should I look for?
    Thanks agin
    Healthy Stealthy, Feb 11, 2006