    its going to be even more awsome. Thank you Microsoft and any other vendors
    that start supporting x64.

    Ralf

    Ralf Krause, Nov 17, 2005

  2. > I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of
    my
    > software choices.

    I'm glad there is some positive comments,
    I'll buy a new 64-bit system soon so I'm less worried ;)
    (But I'm still doing my homeworks)

    Anyone has the Asus K8N-DL ?

    Mike

    Mike Gleason Jr Couturier, Nov 17, 2005

  3. >I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of my
    >software choices. This includes 3dsmax 6-8, CS2(excluding Acrobat !
    :mad: ),Office 2003, and WOW :) I havent had a single crash since i bought the
    >system. Machines runs with raid and dual core processor, and even the A3
    >printer works like a charm. Once the the software switches totally to 64
    >bit its going to be even more awsome. Thank you Microsoft and any other
    >vendors that start supporting x64.
    >
    > Ralf

    Please...tell that to those who come here only to vent and claim Win64 was
    rushed.

    Homer J. Simpson, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Ralf Krause

    John Barnes Guest

    Not rushed. Stable system. Unfortunately released as a 5th class product.
    Microsoft has done NOTHING to encourage an installed base which would
    encourage vendors to support it with software and hardware.
    Microsoft hardware - NOT supported. OEM only. TAP a disaster, both as to
    delivery, and early expiration, before virtually any drivers were available.
    Even when a builder installs it, it is usually recommended against or XP Pro
    is recommended, and try to get any support if anything has been added to the
    computer, hardware or software.
    Andre and Charlie have clearly outlined the target users, and there would be
    fewer venters if it were required reading, viewing before the system could
    be purchased. Then again there will always be complainers, especially if it
    requires more effort than using the power switch.

    John Barnes, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Ralf Krause

    Robert Boers Guest

    Mike Gleason Jr Couturier wrote:
    [...]
    > Anyone has the Asus K8N-DL ?

    Yes, we do, with two Opteron 270 dual cores. Very nice system. We run
    our emulator products on it.

    Regards, Robert
    www.softresint.com

    Robert Boers, Nov 17, 2005
  6. They also released it in the Spring, which instantly sent a message to
    vendors, "This would not be a good Christmas present or back to school
    item." So the vendors left it on the back burner.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 17, 2005
  7. > They also released it in the Spring, which instantly sent a message to
    > vendors, "This would not be a good Christmas present or back to school
    > item." So the vendors left it on the back burner.

    From my perspective...How quickly did NT 3.1 get adopted? The 32-bit
    machines had been out for years before anyone moved to it. NT never really
    took off until 4.0.

    So, I'm not expecting a tremendous amount of activity initially for the 32-
    to 64-bit transition either.

    Homer J. Simpson, Nov 17, 2005
  8. But the engine started at 3.5.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 18, 2005
  9. Ralf Krause

    Mercury Guest

    I have an A8N-E and am thrilled with it. It went together perfectly, no
    missing drivers, runs like a dream and has a better upgrade path than the K8
    series. Totally stable, cool (34c proc and mobo is typical with 21c
    ambient), and I'll even toss in 'low power' which makes a Huge difference. I
    have an Antec Phantom PSU driving it and I don't know if the fan has ever
    spun as the PSU gets only just warm enough to feel.

    The config includes RAID 1 on 2 x seagate 250GB discs - the noisiest part of
    the system.

    I use the system for s/w dev (VS.Net 2005 etc) and dual boot to XP MCE.

    Performance wise it is noticably faster running 64 bit in nearly all
    activities.

    Call me a fan if you wish, but compared to the predecessor P4 2.8 system
    which had many bios, ram, heat, and so noise issues all imposing extra costs
    and delays (to stability and usability) when acquired, the A8N / Athlon 64
    bit system is a dream :)

    I have little doubt that a K8 system would compare well on many of those
    fronts as it is a mature design, uses low heat CPU's, and are reportedly
    quick. There is a better upgrade path now for the K8's than there used to
    be.

    HTH

    "Mike Gleason Jr Couturier" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mercury, Nov 18, 2005
  10. Ralf Krause

    Mercury Guest

    Sorry,wrong mobo family...

    Mercury, Nov 18, 2005
  11. > [...] and has a better upgrade path than the K8 series.

    I think AMD is phasing out the S939 to exclusively
    produce S940 in Q1 2006. (exclusively, I mean in this
    category)

    Plus, having two S940 sockets provide much more room for
    upgrades than a single (and soon obsolete) S939.

    But you still pointed out how Asus is serious about their
    mobo!!

    Mike

    Mike Gleason Jr Couturier, Nov 18, 2005
  12. It will be a while before the new 940 socket chips are even available, much
    less dominant. Especially since the existing 940 Opteron socket is NOT the
    same and not compatible.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 20, 2005
  13. Try replacing those seagates with Samsung drives, mounted with rubber
    grommits. Knocks the noise right down.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 20, 2005
  14. Ralf Krause

    Mercury Guest

    Grommets etc are going in, but I need a better case 12cm fan front and rear.

    Mercury, Nov 20, 2005
  15. a nice, quiet 12cm fan is SilenX -- you can choose your maximum RPMs based
    on how much noise you can tolerate. And they're good fans overall.

    The new seagate .9 version of HDs is supposed to be quiet again (the .6 and
    even .7 were pretty quiet, but the .8 are very noisy), but I'll stick to my
    Samsungs. Very quiet.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 20, 2005
  16. > It will be a while before the new 940 socket chips are even available,
    much
    > less dominant. Especially since the existing 940 Opteron socket is NOT the
    > same and not compatible.

    Well, I'll change my hardware info site!!

    Mike Gleason Jr Couturier, Nov 21, 2005
  17. Ralf Krause

    John Barnes Guest

    I thought it was the other way around, the 940 required ECC memory and has
    been replaced by the 939 which uses unregistered memory. Guess there must be
    something new the AMD site doesn't have any info on yet.

    John Barnes, Nov 21, 2005
  18. See
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/09/amd_socket_m2_desktops/
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050509A6030.html
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/05/04/s...e_speed_to_amd_desktop_processors_/index.html

    Dominic Payer, Nov 21, 2005
  19. Ralf Krause

    John Barnes Guest

    Am I missing something, this says the Opteron is going to migrate to 939
    from 940, following the consumer chips which did that last year. I only got
    to two articles, but the AMD site also shows migration FROM 940 to 939

    John Barnes, Nov 21, 2005
  20. Ralf Krause

    Rick Guest

    According to several articles published over the past year the current
    socket 939 is going to be replaced with a new socket 940, called M2,
    that is not compatible with the current socket 940. The only Opteron
    going to the current socket 939 is the 100 series. Sometime next year
    all socket 939 CPUs will migrate to the new M2 socket 940 which is
    supposed to support DDR2, and possibly DDR3.

    Some articles mentioned a new socket for the Opteron series 200 and 800
    with somewhere around 1200 pins - I don't remember the exact number -
    but I haven't seen any references to that socket lately.

    Rick, Nov 21, 2005