    Any help on this?
    I feel bad since he likes to use his HP photo software that he cant now, I might just buy him a new card and swap with him or something but I would like to try to figure out what I could have done or what I can do to maybe fix this

    Bill

    FTLOSM, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Hi Bill,

    I would have thought that formatting would have worked, as no doubt your camera created its own file directories from HP's, which has probably been the cause of the problem.

    I suggest that you put the card in your reader, select it and delete all the files, but not formatting as this is always done best in-camera. Then try reformatting in the HP.

    I work in a camera store and had someone come in who wondered why they could not get as many photos as they used to. It turned out the card had been used in 2 different cameras and each had created their own directory, so I done the above and the problem was solved.

    Hope that helps,
    Cheers,
    Stephen
    Edinburgh
    "FTLOSM" <FTLOSM@COMCAST.-NOSPAM-NET> wrote in message news:5w%sb.142392$mZ5.991275@attbi_s54...
    My brother-in-law has a HP 315 digital camera that takes a CF card, I have a Canon Powershot A40 digital camera that also takes a CF card, oneday I forgot my extra card and used one of his while we were at a family event. When I got home I stuck his CF card into my 6 in one reader, went thru the directories like I do with my card, highlighted the pictures and dumped them to my desktop (again just like what I do with my cards), I don't use the canon software I prefer to manually edit with photoshop.

    Anyways I wanted to return the card empty, so I had erased the pictures in the folder, returned the card he put it in his camera, took pictures with it yet his software (he plugs a usb cord into his camera and uses HP software to download his photos into his pc), anyways his software doesn't even recognize the card now, he came over with it and we put it in my reader which shows the pictures fine and I can access, delete and download them no problem thru the card reader, yet thru his software with the card in his camera it won't even recognize the card now (since I used it). He has used this card (a sandisk 64 mg) many times yet it has only acted up since I used and erased stuff off it that one time.

    I stuck the card in his camera and did a format on it, yet after taking pictures again it still doesn't want to recognize the card.

    I don't have alot of experience with digital cameras and it sure seems like the card works for me and for my card reader but what could I have done to it or is there something I can do to fix it?

    Was thinking about having him re install his software yet I can't see how that would fix it, I thought formatting the card would do it but I guess not...

    Stephen Leslie, Nov 14, 2003

  3. FTLOSM

    Brownie Guest

    >Hi Bill,
    >
    >I would have thought that formatting would have worked, as no doubt your

    camera created its own file directories from HP's, which has probably been
    the cause of the problem.

    >I suggest that you put the card in your reader, select it and delete all

    the files, but not formatting as this is always done best in-camera. Then
    try reformatting in the HP.

    >I work in a camera store and had someone come in who wondered why they

    could not get as many photos as they used to. It turned out the card had
    been used in 2 different cameras >and each had created their own directory,
    so I done the above and the problem was solved.

    HTML off! :)

    Just a bit weird that - my CF cards seem to be interchangeable between
    Canon, Fuji and Casio where they create their own directories and just work
    without problems. I thought I had heard mention of a similar prooblem to
    this before so a Google search may help as I have a feeling there is a bit
    of software code that can help 'refresh' the card somehow. Wasn't it the
    Olympus cameras that used to create problems with SM cards in this way. Who
    builds the HP? I don't know much about them but wasn't one a Pentax clone a
    year or so back?

    Brownie, Nov 14, 2003