    psion
    ps. failsafe allows me to go to command line, but am not sure what to do
    from there.
    psion, Nov 14, 2004

  2. psion

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "psion" <> wrote in
    news:1100447309.N+t1Ixo+ESk0m6xenorluw@teranews:

    > how can i get around
    > this?

    Maybe try hitting control + Alt + F1 -> F6 and getting a console up, so you
    can undo whatever you did.
    Jim Berwick, Nov 14, 2004

  3. psion

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:48:35 -0600, psion wrote:

    >I have mandrake 10 installed and used to boot right into the command line,
    >so when i wanted to start x, i would do the usual startx. i then tried
    >switching to gui boot, and worked fine the first time i rebooted. afterwards
    >though, whenever the gui starts, i see the hour glass on a blue background,
    >but it sits there. the hour glass spins, so the system isnt freezing, but
    >seems like it is waiting for some module or app to load. I dont remember
    >changing anything to start during the startup process. how can i get around
    >this?
    >
    >psion
    >ps. failsafe allows me to go to command line, but am not sure what to do
    >from there.

    **Do this at your own risk.**

    If it's like other distros, use an editor to change the value of the
    default startup level, all the lines are usually listed with some
    comments.

    edit this file,

    /etc/inittab

    look for a line something like,

    is:3:initdefault:

    Change the value in the example 3 to the correct number for the runlevel
    you want.

    Me
    why?, Nov 14, 2004
  4. psion wrote:

    > I have mandrake 10 installed and used to boot right into the command line,

    Ask the Mandrake community: alt.os.linux.mandrake

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2004