    compter tech. I did uninstall a parallel port thath ad a yellow ? next
    to it in device manager. I couldn't figure what the parallel port was
    for.

    nevermore studio, Nov 25, 2007

  2. nevermore studio

    Cub Guest

    "nevermore studio" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I wiped off my hard drive and reinstalled win xp.
    > The only glitch was my sound went. Finally I fixed it by disabling
    > ESS allegro pci audio.
    > What has now happened is my cd drives don't work. I have a cd rom and
    > a burner driver and neither will read anything. They are functioning
    > according the the device manager and tells me the driver is there and
    > no better one can be found. This is making me nuts as I am not a
    > compter tech. I did uninstall a parallel port thath ad a yellow ? next
    > to it in device manager. I couldn't figure what the parallel port was
    > for.

    How did you install XP from scratch .. ? via CD-ROM maybe. if so might
    suggest the hardware is ok.

    try booting a WIn98se floppy from http://www.bootdisk.com/ to verify your
    hardware

    I have seen some burner software screw things up , once installed the burner
    could not be seen

    try booting in safemode ..

    Cub

    Cub, Nov 25, 2007

  3. nevermore studio

    ded Guest

    >I wiped off my hard drive and reinstalled win xp.
    > The only glitch was my sound went. Finally I fixed it by disabling
    > ESS allegro pci audio.
    > What has now happened is my cd drives don't work. I have a cd rom and
    > a burner driver and neither will read anything. They are functioning
    > according the the device manager and tells me the driver is there and
    > no better one can be found. This is making me nuts as I am not a
    > compter tech. I did uninstall a parallel port thath ad a yellow ? next
    > to it in device manager. I couldn't figure what the parallel port was
    > for.

    The yellow questionmark is because Windows dosen't know
    what it is, a parallel port would normally have a printer connected
    if you have such, then install the software/drivers for the printer.

    ESS allegro PCI audio, this is a generic driver for PCI soundcards,
    the driver is bundled with windows, it is a "basic" way of getting
    soundcards functioning. If you then installed specific drivers+software
    for the soundcard there would've been a conflict, so disabling ESS allegro
    was correct. Leave it disabled.

    The non functioning CD drives that are recognised and listed without
    problems in device manager:
    We'll cover the obvious first - you haven't changed their hardware
    configuration and you imply that the drives did function after XP reinstall?
    They are listed in explorer/My Computer etc and both are assigned their
    own drive letter?
    But the problem being they both now fail to recognise a disk is loaded?
    If the above is not correct then post exactly what you changed or what
    is wrong.

    If nothing has changed, and the problem occurred after installing XP,
    via explorer is a disc listed as being in the drive and an error message
    produced, such as "Not ready reading drive".
    Or are discs not listed/not recognised in either drive?

    ded, Nov 25, 2007
  4. nevermore studio

    PeeCee Guest

    >I wiped off my hard drive and reinstalled win xp.
    > The only glitch was my sound went. Finally I fixed it by disabling
    > ESS allegro pci audio.
    > What has now happened is my cd drives don't work. I have a cd rom and
    > a burner driver and neither will read anything. They are functioning
    > according the the device manager and tells me the driver is there and
    > no better one can be found. This is making me nuts as I am not a
    > compter tech. I did uninstall a parallel port thath ad a yellow ? next
    > to it in device manager. I couldn't figure what the parallel port was
    > for.

    You've probably got corrupted filter settings in the Registry

    Download and run the vbs file from here:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs
    then reboot your PC and it should be fixed.

    Before running it right click on it and click edit and make sure it has the
    following text>

    'Restore CD-Roms and DVD's to Explorer
    'xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs
    '© Doug Knox - rev 04/14/2002
    'Downloaded from www.dougknox.com
    'based on cdgone.reg

    Option Explicit
    On Error Resume Next

    Dim WshShell, Message

    WshShell.RegDelete
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters"
    WshShell.RegDelete
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters"
    WshShell.RegDelete
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K\"
    WshShell.RegDelete
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k\"
    WshShell.RegDelete
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf\"
    WshShell.RegDelete
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr\"
    Set WshShell = Nothing

    Message = "Your CD/DVD-Rom drives should now appear in Windows Explorer." &
    vbCR
    Message = Message & "You may need to reboot your computer to see the
    change."

    MsgBox Message, 4096,"Finished!"

    Or if you like just copy and paste this into a blank notepad window and save
    it as "xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs"

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 26, 2007
  5. In article
    <>,
    nevermore studio <> wrote:

    > I wiped off my hard drive and reinstalled win xp.
    > The only glitch was my sound went. Finally I fixed it by disabling
    > ESS allegro pci audio.
    > What has now happened is my cd drives don't work. I have a cd rom and
    > a burner driver and neither will read anything. They are functioning
    > according the the device manager and tells me the driver is there and
    > no better one can be found. This is making me nuts as I am not a
    > compter tech. I did uninstall a parallel port thath ad a yellow ? next
    > to it in device manager. I couldn't figure what the parallel port was
    > for.

    Have you installed the CORRECT drivers for all of your hardware,
    starting with the motherboard manufacturer's chipset drivers (if any)?

    David Matthew Wood, Nov 26, 2007
  6. nevermore studio

    Plato Guest

    nevermore studio wrote:

    > I wiped off my hard drive and reinstalled win xp.
    > The only glitch was my sound went. Finally I fixed it by disabling
    > ESS allegro pci audio.
    > What has now happened is my cd drives don't work. I have a cd rom and
    > a burner driver and neither will read anything. They are functioning
    > according the the device manager and tells me the driver is there and
    > no better one can be found. This is making me nuts as I am not a

    Just so you know, device manager WONT tell you if your device is
    actually working.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 28, 2007