I really enjoy Photography and this forum but......

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tea Sunrise, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. Tea Sunrise

    Tea Sunrise Guest

    ....there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    posts?
    Tea Sunrise, Oct 23, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tea Sunrise

    RichGK Guest

    On 23 Oct, 14:12, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > posts?


    One way is to get a newsreader client such as 40tude dialog (I mention
    it because it's what I use at home) where you can create rules to
    filter out certain posters, topics, cross posts etc. Outlook express
    will do it to a certain degree but it is no way configurable to the
    extent that a good dedicated newsreader is.

    You can also do stuff like get it to automatically highlight your own
    and other peoples posts to make finding them easier.
    RichGK, Oct 23, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tea Sunrise

    Sparky Guest

    On Oct 23, 7:22 am, RichGK <> wrote:
    > On 23 Oct, 14:12, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    >
    > > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > > posts?

    >
    > One way is to get a newsreader client such as 40tude dialog (I mention
    > it because it's what I use at home) where you can create rules to
    > filter out certain posters, topics, cross posts etc. Outlook express
    > will do it to a certain degree but it is no way configurable to the
    > extent that a good dedicated newsreader is.
    >
    > You can also do stuff like get it to automatically highlight your own
    > and other peoples posts to make finding them easier.


    google groups can send you alerts of topics with only cretin keywords
    Sparky, Oct 23, 2007
    #3
  4. On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > posts?


    This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
    falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
    will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
    seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such). The
    way I remember Usenet, each seperate newsgroup was hosted by a
    particular server somewhere. Many were in obscure networks, often
    Universities. Who hosts Usenet groups these days? Is it up to the
    sysop of these networks to try and catch the spam at this point?

    I am firmly opposed to moderated newsgroups (I try to use one that is
    down for years at a time when the moderator dies or becomes disabled
    with no co-moderator ever created). But it would be nice to do
    SOMETHING. I also consider rpd to be one of the worst groups for a
    lot of really juvenile posts.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Oct 23, 2007
    #4
  5. Tea Sunrise

    acl Guest

    On Oct 23, 4:51 pm, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <>
    wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    >
    > > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > > posts?

    >
    > This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
    > falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
    > will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
    > seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such).


    Yes, my ISP also stopped providing it altogether last year, so I now
    use google groups. It seems to be happening more and more recently.
    acl, Oct 23, 2007
    #5
  6. Tea Sunrise

    H.S. Guest

    acl wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 4:51 pm, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <>
    > wrote:
    >> On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    >>> dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    >>> posts?

    >> This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
    >> falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
    >> will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
    >> seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such).

    >
    > Yes, my ISP also stopped providing it altogether last year, so I now
    > use google groups. It seems to be happening more and more recently.
    >


    Yup, same here. Bell Sympatico dropped it last year I think :(

    I asked them about it and their reply was that not many people use
    newsgroups anymore.
    H.S., Oct 23, 2007
    #6
  7. Tea Sunrise

    ChrisM Guest

    > I also consider rpd to be one of the worst groups for a
    > lot of really juvenile posts.


    Good grief! You should see some of the NGs I try to use. This one is
    positively well behaved in comparison!!




    --
    Regards,
    Chris.
    (Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)
    ChrisM, Oct 23, 2007
    #7
  8. Sparky wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 7:22 am, RichGK <> wrote:
    >> On 23 Oct, 14:12, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    >>> dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    >>> posts?

    >> One way is to get a newsreader client such as 40tude dialog (I mention
    >> it because it's what I use at home) where you can create rules to
    >> filter out certain posters, topics, cross posts etc. Outlook express
    >> will do it to a certain degree but it is no way configurable to the
    >> extent that a good dedicated newsreader is.
    >>
    >> You can also do stuff like get it to automatically highlight your own
    >> and other peoples posts to make finding them easier.

    >
    > google groups can send you alerts of topics with only cretin keywords
    >


    Was the "cretin" part a Freudian slip??
    John McWilliams, Oct 23, 2007
    #8
  9. Tea Sunrise

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000
    Tea Sunrise <> wrote:

    > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > posts?


    The current issue of Scientific American has a brief report on research
    into cockroach decapitation. It turns out that decapitated cockroach
    bodies can survive a week or more. Severed cockroach heads survive
    (continue to wiggle antennae, etc) for several hours.

    I propose that we conduct this experiment on spammers. They are the
    cockroaches of the net, after all. May not be the best solution, but
    I like it.

    :0)

    If that won't fly, then the worst of it can be filtered out by a
    reasonable newsreader. Apparently, even the much-maligned Outlook
    Express has some capability in this area.

    But, filtering on the client side is like painting the inside of
    your basement to stop water leaking through from a burst main
    out in the yard. The basement may be temporarily dry, but the
    yard is a lake and the foundation is being undermined.

    Which brings me back to decapitation of spammers...

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Oct 23, 2007
    #9
  10. Tea Sunrise

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, Tea
    Sunrise <> wrote:

    > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > posts?


    Just look for my name as the poster - then you're guaranteed of top
    quality content each and every time. :)
    Mr. Strat, Oct 23, 2007
    #10
  11. On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:21:25 -0700, Paul Allen <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000
    >Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    >
    >> ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    >> dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    >> posts?

    >
    >The current issue of Scientific American has a brief report on research
    >into cockroach decapitation. It turns out that decapitated cockroach
    >bodies can survive a week or more. Severed cockroach heads survive
    >(continue to wiggle antennae, etc) for several hours.
    >
    >I propose that we conduct this experiment on spammers. They are the
    >cockroaches of the net, after all. May not be the best solution, but
    >I like it.
    >
    >:0)
    >
    >If that won't fly, then the worst of it can be filtered out by a
    >reasonable newsreader. Apparently, even the much-maligned Outlook
    >Express has some capability in this area.
    >
    >But, filtering on the client side is like painting the inside of
    >your basement to stop water leaking through from a burst main
    >out in the yard. The basement may be temporarily dry, but the
    >yard is a lake and the foundation is being undermined.
    >
    >Which brings me back to decapitation of spammers...
    >
    >Paul Allen


    I could post a one-line spam filter here for anyone using Agent as their
    news-reader. It filters out 99% of the spam, you don't see any of it. And any
    new ones are easy to add to that one line of code. But why make it that simple
    for everyone? It's a good learning experience for those that don't know how and
    why they need to educate themselves.
    SpamFiltersR'Us, Oct 23, 2007
    #11
  12. Tea Sunrise

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Don Stauffer in Minnesota" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    >> ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    >> dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    >> posts?

    >
    > This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
    > falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
    > will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
    > seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such). The
    > way I remember Usenet, each seperate newsgroup was hosted by a
    > particular server somewhere. Many were in obscure networks, often
    > Universities. Who hosts Usenet groups these days? Is it up to the
    > sysop of these networks to try and catch the spam at this point?
    >
    > I am firmly opposed to moderated newsgroups (I try to use one that is
    > down for years at a time when the moderator dies or becomes disabled
    > with no co-moderator ever created). But it would be nice to do
    > SOMETHING. I also consider rpd to be one of the worst groups for a
    > lot of really juvenile posts.
    >


    While spam has been an issue for a number of years, Usenet has had a large
    infiltration over the last couple of years along with the kooks who have a
    mind set on attacking people (not to be confused with the occasional flame
    war that some people get engaged with others in)

    There were some really nice sci (science) based groups with low activity
    that almost never seen spam befor a couple years ago. Now they are nearly
    ruined.

    Thanks to nice software, live Vbulletin and people with the time and money
    to setup moderated boards, Usenet is becoming even more Useless. Let the
    kooks and spammers have it.
    John
    JohnR66, Oct 23, 2007
    #12
  13. Tea Sunrise

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tea Sunrise wrote:

    > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > posts?


    It's ironic that you are posting from Google Groups :)

    At least 90% of the spam and other disruptive posts on rec.photo.digital
    come from Google.

    I've configured my newsreader to make the message title text from
    messages originating from Google appear in magenta. Everything else
    is black. That way I can easily spot posts from Google Groups when
    I view the list of messages. That's also how I can safely say that
    90% of the spam comes from there.

    The problem is that will rarely act on complaints.
    I guess since the service is for free, they don't want to spend too
    much money on dealing with abuse. They are a haven for spammers and
    other miscreants. The sad state of USENET today is almost directly
    related to Google Groups.

    I pay extra for a decent news server. I use an outfit called Supernews
    at a cost of 10 bucks a month. They do a good job of filtering spam..
    They even kill all posts from Google that are crossposted to more than
    4 groups. (That makes a big difference).
    Jim Townsend, Oct 23, 2007
    #13
  14. Tea Sunrise

    Guest

    On Oct 23, 9:21 pm, Paul Allen <>
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000
    >
    > The current issue of Scientific American has a brief report on research
    > into cockroach decapitation. It turns out that decapitated cockroach
    > bodies can survive a week or more. Severed cockroach heads survive
    > (continue to wiggle antennae, etc) for several hours.
    >
    >

    That reminds me of a small incident involving a cockroach a
    couple of months ago. I was going to test a laser printer that I
    hadn't been using for some time. The first "print" that came out
    was a sheet of paper with all six legs and two antennae of a
    cockroach - not pictures, but the actual appendages.

    I had visions of the body squashed and smeared in the innards of
    the printer, requiring a tedious process of disassembly and
    cleaning. But when I removed the toner cartridge, the limbless,
    antennae-less body of the cockroach was lodged against the paper
    input roller. I thought I'd be able to take it out easily with a
    pair of tweezers, but then it started wriggling and I had a heck
    of a time getting it out without dropping it into a more
    inaccessible area.

    When I dropped it on the floor, it could move a few millimeters
    on the stubs of its legs. It would be interesting to know how
    long it could survive like that, but I didn't want to make even
    a cockroach suffer needlessly. So I took a picture and then
    squashed it.

    Here's a picture of the legs and antennae as they came out stuck
    to the paper. The inset shows the body inside the printer.
    http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/?action=view&current=Printed_Cockroach.jpg
    If you have a problem with line wrap, here's a tinyURL :
    http://tinyurl.com/yshlb3
    , Oct 23, 2007
    #14
  15. Tea Sunrise

    Tom Hise Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000, Tea Sunrise <>
    wrote:

    >...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    >dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    >posts?


    Go for a independent NNTP provider (like Supernews
    https://www.supernews.com/) You can get a 3GB/month account for $4 a month
    or less if you get a yearly plan. They are very good at filtering spam and
    I see very little of the crap in this NG unless some fool quotes the whole
    garbage post in his (pointless) reply.

    Tom Hise
    Tom Hise, Oct 23, 2007
    #15
  16. Tea Sunrise

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000, Tea Sunrise <> wrote:
    : ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    : dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    : posts?

    Yes.
    Robert Coe, Oct 24, 2007
    #16
  17. Tea Sunrise

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "JohnR66" <> wrote

    > There were some really nice sci (science) based groups with low activity
    > that almost never seen spam befor a couple years ago. Now they are nearly
    > ruined.


    Going much the same way as CB radio did. At least there you can *hear* that
    the moronic ones are only 13 - 15 year old!

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Oct 24, 2007
    #17
  18. In article <>,
    Tea Sunrise <> wrote:

    > ...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
    > dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
    > posts?


    Block Google.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Oct 24, 2007
    #18
  19. Tea Sunrise

    John Turco Guest

    "H.S." wrote:
    >
    > acl wrote:


    <edited, for brevity>

    > > Yes, my ISP also stopped providing it altogether last year, so I now
    > > use google groups. It seems to be happening more and more recently.
    > >

    >
    > Yup, same here. Bell Sympatico dropped it last year I think :(
    >
    > I asked them about it and their reply was that not many people use
    > newsgroups anymore.



    Hello, ACL & H.S.:

    My dial-up ISP (Concentric) did the same thing, last winter. Hence,
    I soon discovered "aioe.cjb.net" (a free NNTP server), which I've
    been using, to both read and post to Usenet newsgroups, these past
    eight months or so.

    Please, go here, to learn more:

    Aioe.org Home Page <http://www.aioe.org>

    Good luck!


    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Oct 30, 2007
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Moti
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    713
  2. Pure Digital

    Pure Digital Photography Forum

    Pure Digital, Apr 12, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    326
    Mark B.
    Apr 13, 2004
  3. George
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    333
  4. PT
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    311
  5. Forums

    Creative Forum on Arts, Crafts and Photography

    Forums, Sep 19, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    363
    Canongirly
    Sep 19, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page