    the software.

    All the I tunes 700 in total are still on her laptop.

    How can she reinstall the I Tunes software without losing the 700 I Tunes.

    carol, Jan 5, 2006

  2. carol

    old jon Guest

    "carol" <> wrote in message
    news:3z9vf.21897$...
    > My daughter has lost the I Pod files from her laptop so needs to reinstall
    > the software.
    >
    > All the I tunes 700 in total are still on her laptop.
    >
    > How can she reinstall the I Tunes software without losing the 700 I Tunes.

    Just for safety, she could copy them to another folder, with a different
    name.
    Assuming she`s got enough room. Then just copy them back, and delete the
    backup.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Jan 5, 2006

  3. carol

    Mitch Guest

    In article <3z9vf.21897$>, carol
    <> wrote:

    > My daughter has lost the I Pod files from her laptop so needs to reinstall
    > the software.
    >
    > All the I tunes 700 in total are still on her laptop.
    >
    > How can she reinstall the I Tunes software without losing the 700 I Tunes.

    Reinstalling does not delete anything except the program files.
    Go right ahead.
    Under Mac OS, two files are stored to keep track and playing info --
    they are itunes library and itunes music library.xml
    You would move those back to their places in order to help the new
    program know the same things it knew about the files before.

    Otherwise, when you restart, you will just add all the songs to the
    library again. You would lose info like the playlists, and the number
    of times each track has been played, but otherwise everything is going
    to be fine.

    Now, this is all assuming none of those files are purchased form the
    iTunes store. If they are, it would help some that you deauthorize
    those tracks on the previous computer (when there is one) before moving
    them to another; one of the copyright restriction issue with those is
    how many computers get to access the files. The command is in the
    iTunes menus.

    Mitch, Jan 5, 2006
  4. carol

    Chas Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "carol" <> wrote in message
    >> My daughter has lost the I Pod files from her laptop so needs to
    >> reinstall
    >> the software.
    >>
    >> All the I tunes 700 in total are still on her laptop.
    >>
    >> How can she reinstall the I Tunes software without losing the 700 I
    >> Tunes.
    >>

    > Just for safety, she could copy them to another folder, with a different
    > name.
    > Assuming she`s got enough room. Then just copy them back, and delete the
    > backup.
    > bw..OJ

    Hi
    I would also copy them to CD/DVD because sooner or later somethings
    going to Happen

    Chas

    Chas, Jan 5, 2006
  5. carol

    carol Guest

    What if I import all the songs to real one will I be able to transfer them
    back after a reinstall of I Tunes

    carol, Jan 6, 2006
  6. carol

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Ucsvf.26840$>, carol
    <> wrote:

    > What if I import all the songs to real one will I be able to transfer them
    > back after a reinstall of I Tunes

    Oh, yes -- as long as Real doesn't make any changes to the songs,
    you'll be fine.
    The only reason I think it might try to convert them is if she had some
    purchased tracks in formats other than MP3.

    There are also third-party tools to get the songs from the player, if
    that is a concern. Apple doesn't provide them, but you can get them
    from sites that offer shareware software.

    Mitch, Jan 6, 2006