I picked Packet8

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by John Harper, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. John Harper

    John Harper Guest

    I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a
    local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be
    ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered a
    local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area toll
    free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone
    ($39.95/month).

    I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my
    application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on March
    8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it
    on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8, 2005.
    The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet8) when my SBC
    service was terminated.

    So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call forwarding,
    Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is
    available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my
    hanging up the phone.

    Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear
    hearing aids and voice quality is important.

    So far, so good. Time will tell..

    John Harper, Apr 10, 2005

  2. John Harper

    Guest

    John Harper wrote:
    > I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a
    > local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be
    > ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered

    > local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area

    toll
    > free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone
    > ($39.95/month).
    >
    > I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my
    > application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on

    March
    > 8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it
    > on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8,

    2005.
    > The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet8) when my

    SBC
    > service was terminated.
    >
    > So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call

    forwarding,
    > Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is
    > available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my
    > hanging up the phone.
    >
    > Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear
    > hearing aids and voice quality is important.
    >
    > So far, so good. Time will tell..

    Just out of curiosity, did you look into whether SunRocket was
    available in your area?

    , Apr 11, 2005

  3. John Harper

    Wiz-z-z Guest

    I have good things to say about Packet8 as well. I think the porting
    process could be faster, but since SBC was involved I can understand them
    dragging their feet when losing a customer. The quality of service is much
    better than we had previously with SBC land line or with Cingular cell
    phones. We discontinued both SBC and Cingular and have gone to Tracfone
    (pay as you go) for emergencies and traveling. It was a monthly savings of
    $75 for us. I bought a new Vtech 5.8 Mhz cordless expandable phone system
    to take advantage of all of the new free bells and whistles and it gets
    along famously with my wireless computer network. We're very happy
    campers.

    Wiz-z-z, Apr 14, 2005
  4. The only problem I had with packet8 was that I had to dial my area code to
    call anyone in my area. So, I immediately dumped them and kept Vonage.
    Really pissed me off to, because it didn't say anything about that anywhere
    on the site. :(

    I considered broadvoice, because I really just need local, but I don't trust
    them to not have that feature now. I sent mail asking, and never got a
    response.

    Steven M. Santinelli, Apr 29, 2005