I passed 70-271 - Some thoughts

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by DD, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. DD

    DD Guest

    Having already passed A+, I was surprised at how difficult I found the first
    part of MCDST to be for me. If you read my other post, I did not pass on my
    first attempt. Since I am a strong test taker and a fast learner, I was
    shocked when I failed my first time and set out to make sure I came up with a
    workable plan to pass on the next time around. I have worked in this field
    for over a year and a half (helping just under 100 users and 5 remote sites-
    and some networking responsibilities thrown in), I had a difficult time with
    the test formats. I found the tests to be long and confusing. So here is what
    worked for me.

    I found the MS Press book to be the best with the Exam Cram book a close
    second. (They seem to emphasize different things). Reading the book even
    thoroughly is not enough in my opinion. There is a lot of material on the
    test that is not in the book (or it's hidden very well). It seems that much
    of the material is covered in the practice tests (and explanations). After
    reading everything I felt I didn't know in the Ms and the Exam Cram book, I
    made sure I was able to answer all the questions from both those books/cd's.
    I was fortunate to also have access to Transcender questions which were very
    helpful. And after having studied hundreds of exam questions, I still found
    the questions to be confusing.

    I'm going to take a wild guess that the data base of questions is so large,
    that there is no way to speculate what areas might be asked on the test (Some
    of the posts ask this). The first time I took it, it seemed that there was a
    strong emphasis on the networking portion and this time there seemed to be a
    much stronger emphasis on understanding and analyzing system performance
    although all areas are covered. I don’t think I had a lot of repeat questions
    between the first and second test.

    When I first found this newsgroup, I was hoping for more interaction between
    participants. I’ve seen several posts from people who say they are/were going
    to take the test in November, but no feed back. Did you pass, and if not,
    what were your obstacles, have you worked in IT, etc? The people who pass
    these exams with one arm ties behind their back are not the people who need
    this site. A one time post saying “I passed and it wasn;t that hard†isn’t
    that helpful to the rest of the people who are looking for assistance.

    I’ve seen multiple posts from people who have not worked in IT and want to
    know about how hard it is to pass MCDST with no experience. Are there people
    out there who have been successful and how did they do it? I talked to people
    personally who have taken different MS tests 3 times before passing and are
    very good at their jobs. Not succeeding at your first attempt does not
    translate into being a failure at work or anywhere else. I’ve been very
    fortunate to have a lot of success and support at work and not passing 271 on
    my first try didn’t change that. It just meant I had to work harder at trying
    to understand how Microsoft words their questions.

    At the beginning of next year I will get serious about passing 272. I hope
    more people will post with their experiences and guidance.
    DD, Nov 18, 2006

  2. DD

    Slave Guest

    At least you passed - well done. Were there many of those repeating
    questions which go something like this

    chose from the list on the right and put them in order in the list on the
    left?

    Slave, Nov 18, 2006

  3. DD

    DD Guest

    No, there wern't (but I think they are important). But absolutely know all
    your dialogue boxes and aplets and every drop down and check box in them.
    Some of it you do so much that you don't realize that your are not really
    paying attention and then when you are asked where in this aplet would you
    check to accomplish so and so, you think, I can't believe I don't remember
    that. The night before the test I was pretty fried but I got in bed and just
    opened the management console, control panel, task manager, msconfig, etc and
    made sure I knew what all the tabs and configuration options were.

    DD

    DD, Nov 18, 2006
  4. DD

    DD Guest

    Don't forget that just because there isn't a lot of something on one test, it
    doesn't mean it wqon't be on another test. I am sure they have a data base of
    thousands of questions and the only thing that I found to be consistent
    between the first and second test is - know all the material well!

    DD, Nov 18, 2006
  5. Congratulations on passing the 70-271. One more to go. Study hard, ask
    questions, and schedule your exam.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 19, 2006
  6. DD

    Lisa Guest

    I passed 270 in August, without much experience at all in IT. I secured a
    temporary position in a help desk environment about two weeks after passing
    the exam. I got to tell you, what I do on the job is very different and may
    utilize about 10% of what I learned for 270. I am going to sit for 271 in a
    few weeks. Wish me luck.

    How I did it. I studied the Transcender questions, in addition to the
    questions that came on the CD with the book I bought from Microsoft Press.
    Those were the most useful part of the plan.

    Lisa, Nov 21, 2006