    www.stopassaultnow.org

    Remove .spamnot to respond by email

    ---
    Mike Dobony, Apr 11, 2004

  2. On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:54:03 -0500, "Mike Dobony"
    <> wrote:

    >My junk CD-RW just died again, the second one in just over a year. I figure
    >I might just as well get a DVD R and be done with it. Staples has a
    >"Special Purchase" on the I/O Magic 8x4x12x DVD+-R/RW. Can I expect this
    >unit to last and will it do good burns? I don't want to waste more money on
    >a unit that will not even last a year.

    Really you've answered your own question. You bought two "junk" CD
    recorders that didn't last, now you're asking about a questionable
    cheap DVD recorder. Why not spend the few extra bucks for a good
    Plextor or Pioneer or Sony and be done with it?

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 12, 2004

  3. Mike Dobony

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Mike Dobony" <> wrote in message
    > My junk CD-RW just died again, the second one in just over a year. I

    figure
    > I might just as well get a DVD R and be done with it. Staples has a
    > "Special Purchase" on the I/O Magic 8x4x12x DVD+-R/RW. Can I expect this
    > unit to last and will it do good burns? I don't want to waste more money

    on
    > a unit that will not even last a year.

    When it comes to electronics, you truly get what you pay for. You can buy
    another cheapie and watch it die in a year, or you can actually spend some
    money on a decent piece of equipment that will last until you're done with
    it and ready to move onto something else.

    Ask yourself this: how much money are you saving in the long run by buying
    cheap equipment, when you find you have to replace that cheap equipment more
    often than if you'd purchased something decent in the first place?

    Not trying to lecture you, I just don't understand the uber-frugal mentality
    that leads to this expensive purchasing cycle.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Mike Dobony

    Mike Dobony Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Dobony" <> wrote in message
    > > My junk CD-RW just died again, the second one in just over a year. I

    > figure
    > > I might just as well get a DVD R and be done with it. Staples has a
    > > "Special Purchase" on the I/O Magic 8x4x12x DVD+-R/RW. Can I expect

    this
    > > unit to last and will it do good burns? I don't want to waste more

    money
    > on
    > > a unit that will not even last a year.

    > When it comes to electronics, you truly get what you pay for. You can buy
    > another cheapie and watch it die in a year, or you can actually spend some
    > money on a decent piece of equipment that will last until you're done with
    > it and ready to move onto something else.
    >
    > Ask yourself this: how much money are you saving in the long run by

    buying
    > cheap equipment, when you find you have to replace that cheap equipment

    more
    > often than if you'd purchased something decent in the first place?
    >
    > Not trying to lecture you, I just don't understand the uber-frugal

    mentality
    > that leads to this expensive purchasing cycle.
    >
    > Mike

    I also bought an inexpensive unit that I have had no problems with.
    However, it is a CD burner, not a DVD burner. Just because the CD line is
    good does not mean the DVD line is good. Right now I either wait a few
    months to save up for an expensive unit and have one computer without any CD
    recorder or player or I get something less expensive right now. I have
    found that price does not always equal quality. There ARE good bargains out
    there. There are also expensive paperweights out there. To just go out
    there and spend a lot of money without doing the research is just as stupid
    as trying to buy the least expensive unit I can find. My son bought this
    twice dead in just over a year Buslink. I should have followed my gut
    feeling and returned it and bought a better brand. I only spent about
    $10-15 more for my office CD burner than I did on this junk pile and it
    works great! I *think* it is an I/O Magic. If I wait I will most likely
    get the Plextor. Even then I will want to find out what the best model is.

    ---
    Mike Dobony, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Mike Dobony

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mike Dobony" <> wrote in message
    > > > My junk CD-RW just died again, the second one in just over a year. I

    > > figure
    > > > I might just as well get a DVD R and be done with it. Staples has a
    > > > "Special Purchase" on the I/O Magic 8x4x12x DVD+-R/RW. Can I expect

    > this
    > > > unit to last and will it do good burns? I don't want to waste more

    > money
    > > on
    > > > a unit that will not even last a year.

    > > When it comes to electronics, you truly get what you pay for. You can

    buy
    > > another cheapie and watch it die in a year, or you can actually spend

    some
    > > money on a decent piece of equipment that will last until you're done

    with
    > > it and ready to move onto something else.
    > >
    > > Ask yourself this: how much money are you saving in the long run by

    > buying
    > > cheap equipment, when you find you have to replace that cheap equipment

    > more
    > > often than if you'd purchased something decent in the first place?
    > >
    > > Not trying to lecture you, I just don't understand the uber-frugal

    > mentality
    > > that leads to this expensive purchasing cycle.

    > I also bought an inexpensive unit that I have had no problems with.
    > However, it is a CD burner, not a DVD burner. Just because the CD line is
    > good does not mean the DVD line is good. Right now I either wait a few
    > months to save up for an expensive unit and have one computer without any

    CD
    > recorder or player or I get something less expensive right now. I have
    > found that price does not always equal quality. There ARE good bargains

    out
    > there. There are also expensive paperweights out there. To just go out
    > there and spend a lot of money without doing the research is just as

    stupid
    > as trying to buy the least expensive unit I can find.

    I agree completely. I don't mean to suggest that cheap always equals crap.
    Instead, I think of it as a matter of probabilities - in general, you tend
    to get what you pay for, and while you will always find exceptions at either
    extreme, I think you're taking your chances if you get too frugal (and
    likewise, you're taking a chance of wasting your money if you just go
    blindly buy the most expensive thing available).

    What I thought was interesting was that the OP talked about a "junk CD-RW"
    (his words) dying, *again*, and he's considering another "junk" piece of
    equipment. For someone like that, maybe it's time to reconsider how
    practical and inexpensive that level of frugality really is. ;)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Mike Dobony

    > "Mike Dobony" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Mike Dobony" <> wrote in message

    > > > figure

    > > this

    > > money
    > > > on
    > > >
    > > > When it comes to electronics, you truly get what you pay for. You can

    > buy
    > > > another cheapie and watch it die in a year, or you can actually spend

    > some
    > > > money on a decent piece of equipment that will last until you're done

    > with
    > > > it and ready to move onto something else.
    > > >
    > > > Ask yourself this: how much money are you saving in the long run by

    > > buying
    > > > cheap equipment, when you find you have to replace that cheap

    equipment
    > > more
    > > > often than if you'd purchased something decent in the first place?
    > > >
    > > > Not trying to lecture you, I just don't understand the uber-frugal

    > > mentality
    > > > that leads to this expensive purchasing cycle.

    > > I also bought an inexpensive unit that I have had no problems with.
    > > However, it is a CD burner, not a DVD burner. Just because the CD line

    is
    > > good does not mean the DVD line is good. Right now I either wait a few
    > > months to save up for an expensive unit and have one computer without

    any
    > CD
    > > recorder or player or I get something less expensive right now. I have
    > > found that price does not always equal quality. There ARE good bargains

    > out
    > > there. There are also expensive paperweights out there. To just go out
    > > there and spend a lot of money without doing the research is just as

    > stupid
    > > as trying to buy the least expensive unit I can find.

    > I agree completely. I don't mean to suggest that cheap always equals

    crap.
    > Instead, I think of it as a matter of probabilities - in general, you tend
    > to get what you pay for, and while you will always find exceptions at

    either
    > extreme, I think you're taking your chances if you get too frugal (and
    > likewise, you're taking a chance of wasting your money if you just go
    > blindly buy the most expensive thing available).
    >
    > What I thought was interesting was that the OP talked about a "junk CD-RW"
    > (his words) dying, *again*, and he's considering another "junk" piece of
    > equipment. For someone like that, maybe it's time to reconsider how
    > practical and inexpensive that level of frugality really is. ;)

    So you are saying the I/O Magic is junk? BTW, you don't seem to read very
    well. I am the OP and I asked the question so I do NOT end up with a piece
    of junk AGAIN! Like you also just afreed, price does not always reflect
    quality and there are exceptions at both extremes. So I ask again, is the
    I/O Magic an exception or does it follow the rule?

    --
    Mike D.

    www.stopassaultnow.org

    Remove .spamnot to respond by email

    > Mike

    ---
    Mike Dobony, Apr 15, 2004
  7. "Mike Dobony" <> wrote in message news:<c5lbtc$sig$>...
    So I ask again, is the
    > I/O Magic an exception or does it follow the rule?
    >
    > --
    > Mike D.

    I have an I/O Magic and it has not given me any problems. Burns many
    brands of 2x disks at 4x, is burnproof and generally a good drive.
    VERY rarely has it crashed, usually my own fault for doing too much on
    a slow computer.
    Keld Landin-Petersen, Apr 15, 2004
  8. Mike Dobony

    Britkev1 Guest

    I also own an I/O magic drive (actually they are third party produced
    by a number of factories and branded as I/O). It is an 8X DVD burner
    and I have had no problem encoding and copying. Works great with Nero
    and have not had a bad burn to date after a few months of burning.

    However if I were going to purchase a DVD burner today, I woulld
    probably wait as sony introduced their dual layered DVD burners
    recently. Other companies will follow shortly and when the media
    becomes available you will see single layer burners fall drastically
    in price.

    Hope this helps.
    Britkev1, Apr 18, 2004
  9. Mike Dobony

    punklogic

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    my i/omagic story

    This is my final note to i/omagic tech support:

    This drive has been returned to Future Shop.

    The FS technicien declared this drive defective and asked me frankly, " Why did you buy this piece of crap? Get yourself a real hard drive from a real company. "

    Apparently, so many of your (i/o magic) products are defective that FS will not be ordering any more product from you. i/omagic trick = dissapearing data. I lost 100GB of data. Good job guys! Hang your head low in your cubicle with the knowledge that you work for a truely low grade company.

    I dare you to answer this email with a meaningful reply!

    I'm off to install my new Seagate drive.

    Good ridens to i/omagic
    punklogic, Aug 13, 2007