I/O errors on boot with Win95

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Santa Punk, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Santa Punk

    Santa Punk Guest

    A friend of mine is having a problem with his PC, which is running
    Windows 95 with a Pentium 233 processor.

    He installed a new CD-ROM drive; but now, when he boots up, he gets the
    following error at POST:

    "Confict: I/O ports 2f8

    Hit F1 to continue or Delete to enter setup."

    He's able to hit F1 and get to the desktop, but the CD-ROM drive won't run.

    I had him check the master/slave jumpers on the hard drive and the
    CD-ROM drive, and everything matches up. And he says he "poked around"
    in the BIOS(!!!!!!!!), but doesn't remember what settings he changed. I
    had him reset defaults, but still no go.

    Wow - tall order!!! Anyone have any ideas about what could be up,
    besides time to buy a new PC? He wants to squeeze a little more life
    out of the box before he retires it.

    Santa Punk, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Santa Punk

    docmill Guest

    Santa Punk <> wrote in

    > A friend of mine is having a problem with his PC, which is running
    > Windows 95 with a Pentium 233 processor.
    >
    > He installed a new CD-ROM drive; but now, when he boots up, he gets the
    > following error at POST:
    >
    > "Confict: I/O ports 2f8
    >
    > Hit F1 to continue or Delete to enter setup."
    >
    > He's able to hit F1 and get to the desktop, but the CD-ROM drive won't run.
    >
    > I had him check the master/slave jumpers on the hard drive and the
    > CD-ROM drive, and everything matches up. And he says he "poked around"
    > in the BIOS(!!!!!!!!), but doesn't remember what settings he changed. I
    > had him reset defaults, but still no go.
    >
    > Wow - tall order!!! Anyone have any ideas about what could be up,
    > besides time to buy a new PC? He wants to squeeze a little more life
    > out of the box before he retires it.

    Unplug the CD and see if it boots without error. If so the cable or the
    jumper setting is probably wrong or bad.

    Check the port settings in the BIOS and see if they can be changed to auto,
    if not, change a serial port off the 2f8 to the next setting.

    --
    +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"

    docmill, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Santa Punk

    °Mike° Guest

    Enter the BIOS and disable the port that uses 2F8 - probably
    the COM2 port.

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 06:00:27 GMT, in
    <%3Azb.414938$Tr4.1193671@attbi_s03>
    Santa Punk scrawled:

    >A friend of mine is having a problem with his PC, which is running
    >Windows 95 with a Pentium 233 processor.
    >
    >He installed a new CD-ROM drive; but now, when he boots up, he gets the
    >following error at POST:
    >
    >"Confict: I/O ports 2f8
    >
    >Hit F1 to continue or Delete to enter setup."
    >
    >He's able to hit F1 and get to the desktop, but the CD-ROM drive won't run.
    >
    >I had him check the master/slave jumpers on the hard drive and the
    >CD-ROM drive, and everything matches up. And he says he "poked around"
    >in the BIOS(!!!!!!!!), but doesn't remember what settings he changed. I
    >had him reset defaults, but still no go.
    >
    >Wow - tall order!!! Anyone have any ideas about what could be up,
    >besides time to buy a new PC? He wants to squeeze a little more life
    >out of the box before he retires it.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 4, 2003
  4. On 2003-12-03 22:00:27 -0800, Santa Punk <> said:

    > A friend of mine is having a problem with his PC, which is running
    > Windows 95 with a Pentium 233 processor.
    >
    > He installed a new CD-ROM drive; but now, when he boots up, he gets the
    > following error at POST:
    >
    > "Confict: I/O ports 2f8
    >
    > Hit F1 to continue or Delete to enter setup."
    >
    > He's able to hit F1 and get to the desktop, but the CD-ROM drive won't run.
    >
    > I had him check the master/slave jumpers on the hard drive and the
    > CD-ROM drive, and everything matches up. And he says he "poked around"
    > in the BIOS(!!!!!!!!), but doesn't remember what settings he changed. I
    > had him reset defaults, but still no go.
    >
    > Wow - tall order!!! Anyone have any ideas about what could be up,
    > besides time to buy a new PC? He wants to squeeze a little more life
    > out of the box before he retires it.

    Stop using Win95...

    Johnny Fontaine, Dec 4, 2003