I need to re-install windows xp pro -How can I find my licence num

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by dirtydavid, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. dirtydavid

    dirtydavid Guest

    One of our machines has developed a disk fault, and I need to move windows
    from the current hard drive onto a new one. It currently takes more than an
    hour to boot up!.

    The problem is, the shop we bought the machine from never gave us the disks
    or the licence label, though the product is correctly registered with
    microsoft.

    We have another copy of windows xp pro, and want to remove the old hard
    drive and reinstall, usingthe current licence number.

    I can recover the 20 digit Product Identifier, but do not know where to look
    for the full licence number.

    Please help

    David

    dirtydavid, Jul 15, 2008

  2. Re: I need to re-install windows xp pro -How can I find my licencenum

    One program that will give you your installation key is SIW.
    You can download the standalone version, no installation,
    at http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 15, 2008

  3. dirtydavid

    thecreator Guest

    Hi David,

    Are you forgetting about the BelArc Advisor, now up to version 7.2x?

    Are you also forgetting that the operating system's installation CD will
    only accept only one correct Product Key. I tried and it only works with the
    one for the Disk.

    --
    thecreator

    thecreator, Jul 15, 2008
  4. Re: I need to re-install windows xp pro -How can I find my licencenum

    With Windows XP the Key must match the type of disc; if you
    have a Retail disc, you need a Retail Key; if you have an
    OEM disc, you will need an OEM disc; and if you have a
    Volume License disc, you will need a Volume License Key. No
    disc is locked to a specific key, you just need the
    appropriate key for the version of disc.

    Vista discs are different.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 15, 2008
  5. dirtydavid

    Carlos Guest