    though on Amazon.com it didn't get rave reviews. Can
    someone recommend me books that I can learn the
    material? Thanks!

    WORD?, Jun 4, 2004

  2. What is it you want to study?

    Robert Boesen, Jun 4, 2004

  3. WORD?

    Andy Foster Guest

    "WORD?" <> wrote in message
    > I was going to pick up the MS Press books but it looks as
    > though on Amazon.com it didn't get rave reviews. Can
    > someone recommend me books that I can learn the
    > material? Thanks!

    Yellow books

    Andy Foster, Jun 4, 2004
  4. WORD?

    Neil Guest

    "WORD?" <> wrote in news:17d9401c449cd
    $0720cd10$:

    > I was going to pick up the MS Press books but it looks as
    > though on Amazon.com it didn't get rave reviews. Can
    > someone recommend me books that I can learn the
    > material? Thanks!

    as Robert indicates this somewhat depends on exam you want to take. I
    like (on a genereal basis) the Sybex books.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jun 4, 2004
  5. WORD?

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "Robert Boesen" <> wrote in message
    > What is it you want to study?

    Hmmm, lets analyze this.

    Uh... this is an MCSE newsgroup, isn't it? Maybe, just maybe, he's studying
    for the, oh, I don't know, THE MCSE!!! Duh!

    Your sarcasm skills need some refining man.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004
  6. WORD?

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Whichever one you can get for the cheapest price on www.half.com.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004
  7. WORD?

    Andy Foster Guest

    "TechGeekPro" <%username%@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Robert Boesen" <> wrote in message
    > > What is it you want to study?

    > Hmmm, lets analyze this.
    >
    > Uh... this is an MCSE newsgroup, isn't it? Maybe, just maybe, he's

    studying
    > for the, oh, I don't know, THE MCSE!!! Duh!
    >
    > Your sarcasm skills need some refining man.

    THE MCSE? Implies that there is only one.
    MSPress are good for some exams, Sybex better for others, etc.
    Based on the level of detail in the OP's post, I would guess that the yellow
    books would be most helpful.

    Andy Foster, Jun 4, 2004
  8. WORD?

    Brat Guest

    not necessarily... we have had people come in here recently asking about
    Word and Excel... though one would assume he is talking about MCSE, you know
    what they say about assume... :p

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    Proud member since April 8, 2002

    Brat, Jun 4, 2004
  9. WORD?

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "Andy Foster" <> wrote in message
    > "TechGeekPro" <%username%@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > "Robert Boesen" <> wrote in message
    > > > What is it you want to study?

    > > Hmmm, lets analyze this.
    > >
    > > Uh... this is an MCSE newsgroup, isn't it? Maybe, just maybe, he's

    > studying
    > > for the, oh, I don't know, THE MCSE!!! Duh!
    > >
    > > Your sarcasm skills need some refining man.
    > >

    > THE MCSE? Implies that there is only one.
    > MSPress are good for some exams, Sybex better for others, etc.
    > Based on the level of detail in the OP's post, I would guess that the

    yellow
    > books would be most helpful.

    I've always used the red ones.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004
  10. WORD?

    TechGeekPro Guest

    True. But wouldn't that be in direct violation of the rule:

    "Relevance to Topics: Please make sure that your postings in newsgroups and
    chats are relevant to the subject at hand. It is normal for some topics to
    drift from the stated subject. However, to ensure maximum benefit for
    everyone, we encourage you to keep your postings as close to the subject as
    possible."

    Surely he wouldn't do *that*, would he?

    TechGeekPro, Jun 4, 2004
  11. WORD?

    Brat Guest

    not really but some people do not pay attention to what they are looking
    for/into... they assume since this has the name microsoft in the ng name,
    they think that this is about ALL MS products instead of doing full
    research. So, to them, they think asking about any MS product is on topic

    Brat, Jun 4, 2004
  12. WORD?

    JaR Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:40:26 -0400, TechGeekPro extemporised:

    > I've always used the red ones.

    I used the blue ones.

    JaR
    Unconventional Thug

    JaR, Jun 4, 2004
  13. WORD?

    Brat Guest

    my old ones were white for the text books
    red for exam crams
    my new 2k3 book is blue... lol

    my ccnp book is white AND blue... lol

    Brat, Jun 4, 2004
  14. Camp out at the nearest large Borders or B&N bookstore.
    That way you can read the Blue (MS), Red (EC), and
    Yellow (FD) books to your heart's content.
    At some point you'll want to buy at least one, though,
    so you can load the included CD's at home too.
    If you have no background at all in the area you plan
    to test in, reading and even computer based instruction
    probably won't suffice. Please let us know which exams
    you're preparing for and what your background is.
    Good luck!

    ===================
    "conner172" <> wrote in message
    > From my personal experience, I don't think any one book or publisher is

    going to cut it, nor will simply reading. You have to have (or get) lots of
    hands-on experiene, read books from multiple sources, get information from
    TechNet and other online sources. I have not taken any of the exams yet
    because after studying the MS Press and Sybex manuals for exam 70-290, and
    attending class 2273A, I took a 70-290 practice exam from MeasureUp and
    failed. So the next plan for ME is to go back to the books, re-read
    everything, drill down on the objectives, review the exam objective topics
    under Help and Support, do the labs until I'm very familiar with the tasks
    and know where selections and options are without having to SEE them first.
    Then, after I'm thoroughly familiar with the material and the labs, I'll
    take a practice exam. You can't THINK you know something on these exams. You
    have to KNOW. And whatEVER you do, do NOT be tempted to attend any classes
    that promise you "MCSE in xx days, guaranteed" or buy in to online resources
    that promise you the test answers. You'll cheat yourself, your employer, and
    MCNGPs will call you lots of nasty names (deservedly so) and may hunt you
    down and beat you senseless. MCSE Certification is hard work. Approach it
    with that attitude from the beginning.

    J. Q. Etuo, MCSE/CCNA/A+, Jun 4, 2004
  15. WORD?

    conner172 Guest

    Good advice.
    Plus, the coffee at B&N is excellent. 1 Starbucks cup = 3 regular cups (in
    both strength and price).

    conner172, Jun 5, 2004