    Tom Arseneault
    Network Engineer
    Voxify Inc.

    tomarseneault, Oct 17, 2008

  2. tomarseneault

    Trendkill Guest

    Re: I need to know what the real though put is on a 3600 seriesrouter

    On Oct 17, 5:08 am, tomarseneault <> wrote:
    > Here's our setup: I have a 3620 router with a dual fast Ethernet card
    > in it, it's connected to a single laptop (with 100Mb interface) The
    > other interface is connected to a fastiron 4802 with ports hard coded
    > to 100 full (the router is as well) This switch also connects to a Pix
    > 515E with 64MB of memory (6.3.5 os) connected to our internal network
    > (1GB infrastructure) where we have our server. All external ports are
    > hard coded to 100 Full and the internal to !Gb full, except of course
    > for the Pix which is at 100 full. I do a scp between an internal
    > server and the external laptop and I get about 2.4Mb through. My
    > question is approx what should I be seeing?
    >
    > Tom Arseneault
    > Network Engineer
    > Voxify Inc.

    While someone on here will most likely have the throughput number of
    the backplane, the short answer is that the less the router has to do
    with each frame/packet, the closer you will get to full interface
    speed. So provided you aren't running NAT/PAT, the firewall feature
    set, or a full BGP routing table which is hammering the memory, I
    don't see any reason why you should not see ~12 MBps. The most
    plausible answer is a duplex issue, although in my experience, you
    wouldn't be anywhere near 2.4 if that was the case. Have you tried a
    bare bones ftp? What is the source and destination? Is this going
    through the pix or another device, or is it pc -> router -> server.
    Are there any other single 100mbps on the internal side which could be
    bottlenecked by other internal traffic, so the scp is only getting the
    remainder? What about QoS or rate-limiting, any of that configured
    anywhere?

    Trendkill, Oct 17, 2008

  3. tomarseneault

    Stephen Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:08:10 -0700 (PDT), tomarseneault
    <> wrote:

    >Here's our setup: I have a 3620 router with a dual fast Ethernet card
    >in it, it's connected to a single laptop (with 100Mb interface) The
    >other interface is connected to a fastiron 4802 with ports hard coded
    >to 100 full (the router is as well) This switch also connects to a Pix
    >515E with 64MB of memory (6.3.5 os) connected to our internal network
    >(1GB infrastructure) where we have our server. All external ports are
    >hard coded to 100 Full and the internal to !Gb full, except of course
    >for the Pix which is at 100 full. I do a scp between an internal
    >server and the external laptop and I get about 2.4Mb through. My
    >question is approx what should I be seeing?

    cisco router performance info is in the product sheets
    http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/quickreference/index.html

    routers specifically
    http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

    3620 is old and slow - but should be doing better than 2.4 Mbps so
    something else is slowing it down.

    maybe one of the other bits of kit in the path is the culprit, or you
    have an like a duplex mismatch somewhere?

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    Stephen, Oct 17, 2008
  4. tomarseneault

    On Oct 17, 8:08 pm, tomarseneault <> wrote:
    > Here's our setup: I have a 3620 router with a dual fast Ethernet card
    > in it, it's connected to a single laptop (with 100Mb interface) The
    > other interface is connected to a fastiron 4802 with ports hard coded
    > to 100 full (the router is as well) This switch also connects to a Pix
    > 515E with 64MB of memory (6.3.5 os) connected to our internal network
    > (1GB infrastructure) where we have our server. All external ports are
    > hard coded to 100 Full and the internal to !Gb full, except of course
    > for the Pix which is at 100 full. I do a scp between an internal
    > server and the external laptop and I get about 2.4Mb through. My
    > question is approx what should I be seeing?
    >
    > Tom Arseneault
    > Network Engineer
    > Voxify Inc.

    Theirs a cisco performance document that you should be able to get
    your hands on, it has all the figures from 800 Series routers right up
    to the CRS routers with different packet sizes etc, from memory a 3620
    is capable of around 20M ingress+egress combined...

    , Oct 19, 2008