    Can I get a very long rg 45 cable (ethernet) and burry it in pvc. I have
    alot of rg6 cable (coax) would it be possible to use the coax to share the
    internet connection?

    T The Head, Mar 9, 2005

  2. T The Head

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Nope you can not use Coax. CAT5e network cable is capable to support regular
    network traffic up to 100meters (about 326').
    However there might be local regulations concerning outdoor cabling.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 9, 2005

  3. T The Head

    DJ Borell Guest

    "T The Head" <> wrote in message
    >I have a netgear ethernet router rp614. I want to connect one of the ports
    > to my grandmas computer, the problem is she is my neighbor one house down.
    > Is there a way i can burry an ethernet cable from my router to her
    > computer.
    >
    > I dont want to spend all the money setting up sa wireless network.
    >
    > Can I get a very long rg 45 cable (ethernet) and burry it in pvc. I have
    > alot of rg6 cable (coax) would it be possible to use the coax to share the
    > internet connection?

    Standard cabling will suffer from severe signal attenuation after approx.
    100 Meters. The only method around this distance limitation would be to use
    an active (meaning self-powered) hub at some point on the span (in your
    case, at the 250' mark would be ideal.) However, as your run will
    presumably be outdoors, this is unlikely to be a viable option.

    Frankly, probably the best option would be to use a wireless network
    (contrary to your desires, I know). A standard WNIC has a range of around
    300' indoors / 1000' outdoors in an ideal situation. I would suggest you
    utilize a uni-directional gain attenna to boost this range and, therefore,
    the reliability. I have successfully implemented these antennas in
    scenarios exceeding 3/4 mile (line of sight) with a high degree of
    reliability.

    If you happen to get really "froggy" and are mechanically inclined, check
    out these "home-made" Yagi antennas:

    http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/wlg/448

    DJ Borell, Mar 9, 2005
  4. T The Head

    sycoogtit

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    DJ Borell:
    You posted your message a long time ago, so hopefully you still come here and will see this reply. How on earth did you get a 3/4 mile wireless range? I have tried (what seems like) a million things and can't get anything to work for me.

    My Environment:
    My neighbor (my parents) lives 500 ft away from me. I can position a wireless router at a window in their house and see a range expander that I have put on my balcony. The things between that window and the range expander are: the window, the window screen, and a wrought iron fence. The posts in the fence are about 6 inches apart.

    Trials and Errors:
    I first tried using a regular Netgear Wireless-G router and I had absolutely no signal. I then placed the range expander on my balcony and was able to get a weak, unreliable signal. I then tried a Linksys Wireless-G router and replaced the antennae with 7 dbi omni-directional antennae. This improved performance slightly, but it is still unreliable. I tried making a parabolic antenna as seen in some YouTube videos (http://youtube.com/watch?v=p6QmYJvp46U). For some reason this did absolutely nothing. Next I tried a Netgear RangeMax router. I couldn't get this to talk to my range expander, so it was even less reliable than the Linksys router.

    That's where I'm at. I realize the wrought iron fence is probably killing me, but there's no way for me to place the router high enough so the signal would be above it.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    sycoogtit, Apr 8, 2008