    it?

    Is there a better/less expensive alternative?

    Any comments from users who have done this manipulation before?
    Graphic, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Graphic

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:54:25 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Graphic"
    <> wrote:

    >I need to batch resize files from 72dpi up to 300 dpi *AND* retain the
    >original file names.
    >
    >Someone just told me that they thought ACDsee software could do this. Can
    >it?
    >
    >Is there a better/less expensive alternative?
    >
    >Any comments from users who have done this manipulation before?

    http://www.irfanview.com
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Graphic

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bep7fp$tpn$>, graphic99
    @mindspring.com says...
    > I need to batch resize files from 72dpi up to 300 dpi *AND* retain the
    > original file names.
    >
    > Someone just told me that they thought ACDsee software could do this. Can
    > it?
    >
    > Is there a better/less expensive alternative?
    >
    > Any comments from users who have done this manipulation before?

    If you go from 72 to 300 dpi, you are resampling, not resizing. I have a
    feeling you don't know how dpi works with digital images. Please read up
    here:

    http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

    For what reason are you doing this "resizing" as you refer to it? For
    printing? If so, you really need to read the article quoted above.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Graphic

    W. Catalano Guest

    oops...you've got me on the semantics....

    .....hold on, maybe not.... my version of PhotoShop has a "Resizing" window
    where you can change the dpi and image size.

    Funny, but they don't call it a "re-sampling and re-sizing" box...just
    resizing. But even assuming the folks at PhotoShop/Adobe don't understand
    all the technical mumbo jumbo. let's look at the practical effect of
    changing the dpi:

    An actual image created at 144dpi will display on my computer screen at a
    size of 13x17 inches at 100% magnification.

    When that same image is simply resampled to 300dpi, the size screen needed
    to display it at 100% magnification has increased to 26x34 inches. This
    sure looks like re-sizing to me!

    And like most stupid things that I do professionally (at least I like to
    think it's true), it's because of a client.

    This one (who wouldn't know a re-sample from a re-boot ) read somewhere that
    this is what you make the
    photographer do so that he thinks you know what you're talking about. This
    client (like most of mine) will either
    use the photos on the web (she also read 72dpi is best for that usage ... I
    was amazed) *OR* will reproduce it in printed media less than the size of a
    4x6. The ones that get printed will be maybe a dozen out of 400-600 taken.
    If the client had to re-size them herself ....excuse me, resample
    them....I'll bet she would only resample the dozen to actually be used in
    print.

    Even for photographic prints, the professional color lab that I use doesn't
    re-sample from 72dpi to 300 dpi unless the print is going to be at least
    11x14inches.

    The client is always right....even when they are dead wrong....or you'll
    soon be out of business.

    So you do whatever stupid thing they want done and multiply your rates by
    the agravation factor or you tell them to take a hike....your pick.

    Wayne

    W. Catalano, Jul 13, 2003