I need some advice!

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Adam, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    I'm two years out of high school and I've been working for
    a loan company doing general IT stuff for the last year
    and a half. I don't have any certifications yet but have
    a lot of knowledge regarding networking and computers.--My
    question is should I go to ITT Tech and take two years
    getting their AA in networking, and then pursue
    certifications? Or should I just put all my energy into
    getting certifications?--

    Also if i choose to focus on certifications how should I
    go about this? I've called a couple of training places
    and for like $2000 i can go to a week long cram session.
    Since I'm financing this myself would it be too difficult
    to just read the books and go through the exercises on my
    own home computer that has 2003 server on it?

    Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated.

    Adam

    Adam, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Adam

    Kendal Emery Guest

    Hi Adam,

    I don't know too much about ITT tech, so I can't say if it would be good or
    not. What I have seen in the field is that companies generally rank
    experience first, degrees second, and certs last, and the best idea is a
    combination of the above. Since you have some expreience, I would probably
    opt for getting certs. Of course, in todays market, nothing is cut and
    dried anymore, and what may work here, won't work there.

    Anyway, as far as certs go, I did all self study, but I had a lot of
    experience, and a degree in physics with electronics option. I would
    probably look at A+, Net+, then start the Microsoft stuff. And if
    networking is your goal, I would definitely look at CCNA and maybe CCNP
    also.

    If I can help anymore, let me know.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Adam

    Consultant Guest

    adam,

    if you are gonna invest time and money in school, i would go for a cis or
    mis degree, rather then just networking from a tech school. this will give
    you broader choices in the future. while doing this, i would gain my certs
    and keep gaining experience, like you have done so far. good luck.

    --
    Consultant, MCNGP Founding Father
    www.mcngp.tk

    Consultant, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Adam

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    I can't say much about ITT Tech either, as all I know about them is the
    commercials I see on TV...That said, the IT industry is relatively dry,
    compared to a few years ago. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything that will
    compromise your current job yet. (That is, don't go to school full time).
    Experience seems to be the main criteria employers look for. You've got a
    good start, landing a job right out of high school, so stick with it. More
    time at one job is usually a good thing. A degree of any sort usually
    carries more water than any particular cert. That said, no certification can
    HURT your job prospects. So, in the end, I think my advice would be similar
    to Kendal's. Study up for certs now, maybe begin with A+/Net+ (which are not
    Micro-centric....they're "vendor neutral", as they call it), and then an MCP
    exam or two. Maybe head on up to the MCSA level. Then, after you've had a
    few years experience and some certs under your belt, then go for a degree.
    It would make more sense (professionally) to do this after you've
    established yourself in the field (some companies pay tuition), and can get
    a job easier. Maybe I should follow my own advice and finish up that
    degree...although a BS in Philosophy might amount to just that - BS.
    Anyways, that's my story, I'm stickin to it. Good luck.

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 23, 2003